Do you meet the requirements for this government job ?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

NASA is hiring a "Planetary Protection Officer" who has different responsibilities including defending Earth from aliens.

The person will be contracted for 3 - 5 years and it pays up to $187000 (plus benefits) / year. The requirements are one year experience as a top level civilian government employee, an advanced degree (masters ?) in physical science, engineering or mathematics, advanced knowledge of planetary protection, and demonstrated skills in diplomacy.

2. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Maybe if NASA had a contamination officer the movie "Life" would have turned out a little different.

3. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

Modern day buzz lightyear. I'll wait for the "illegals are taking our jobs" crowd to pop up.

4. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Talk about an easy job. Protecting the Earth from imaginary beings.

5. niploteksi macrumors regular

Hey, I got this great idea who you could promote to this position!!!! Guess who?

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Is there a course for this?

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Every time I see a picture like this, I get an image of Kim Yong-Un surrounded by applauding sycophants.

8. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Basically they make sure anything we send out is clean of any biological contamination.
    Same thing for any craft or samples brought back by one of our space craft.
    A very real job, not "Buzz Lightyear" stuff. Basically the germaphobe mother type who always has a bottle of Purell with her.

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Did anybody actually READ it ?

The candidate would be going on an upcoming mission. So he's also an astronaut.

10. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

That's right, Sir, there are _no_ aliens ...

upload_2017-8-2_18-0-58.png

11. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Naw, they were just focused on the click bait title.

12. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Ummm no... they would be part of the mission team.
    It's just another probe, not a manned spacecraft.

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/missions/europa-clipper/

13. vrDrew macrumors 65816

From the article:

The NASA mission to Europa will be a series of unmanned probes and landers. So, no space diapers and free-dried spaghetti in this person's future.

To answer the OP question: No, I'm not qualified for this job. I've never held a top-level Government job (actually any government job) and while I have an advanced degree, it's not in engineering, science, or mathematics.

What does the Planetary Protection Officer do? Figure out if there is any way the vehicles used in this mission could potentially contaminate Europa itself, or Jupiter, or any of the Jovian satellites. That generally means that the vehicles are assembled in clean rooms, that any dust or contaminants the launch vehicle picks up on its way to the launch pad and through the atmosphere do not end up travelling with the probes into the orbit of Jupiter. We wouldn't want bird crap from Cape Canaveral ending up on Europa, where it could potentially mutate into a giant Space Seagull that will come back and bomb us into submission.

I told you I wasn't qualified.

14. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

ahh..i didnt know it was unmanned.

My bad..But still..its not a waste of money type position.

15. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Since we're now in trade war with Russia, thanks to Congress, maybe we should be more concerned about being so reliant on Russian rockets to ACTUALLY get us into space.

16. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

So, the GOP can't apply? <ducks>

17. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

What about that kid with the light saber that was all over YouTube about 10 years ago? He must have got his license by now.

18. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

+1 about not contaminating other worlds, and not bringing any other still-unknown microbes back to Earth.

Not too long ago, we figured that any life forms that found their way onto our satellites and probes would simply not survive the trip out of the atmosphere and away from the radiation shield effect of Earth's magnetic field.

One of the long-term satellite exposure experiments had lichens (or barnacles, or something of that nature) placed on an exterior-facing panel to see if they'd survive. Surprisingly, they did.

Observations of Mars and some of the gas giants' moons also suggested that life forms might be able to survive there, too.

If one of our probes accidentally carried biological organisms, and if they survived the journey, we wouldn't know for sure if the life we find elsewhere wasn't already a stowaway on our own craft, nor would we know if those organisms would infect the other world as an invasive species.

Yes, this is a legitimate job position for a legitimate concern. It's disappointing that so few people understand why.

19. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I thought this too. I imagined sitting on a lawn chair looking up at the stars with a rifle and a radio at my side and soaking up the governments money... then they started talking microbes and I was like oh so they want somebody to disinfect satellites... :D