Do You Need To Update iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Epicnessx, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Epicnessx macrumors member

I've had an iPhone 4 for a while and have updated it maybe once or twice, I've never had anything wrong with it really but I've read that some updates can make your phone not work etc, so it is a must to update or can I continue not?

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

You don't have to, but it's suggested. What version are you on at the moment?

3. Epicnessx thread starter macrumors member

4.3.5 (I think I checked the correct thing) and I have the option to update it to 5.1.1, will apps stop working if I don't?

4. Che Castro macrumors 603

Go ahead and update to 5.1.1

Nothing wrong with it

5. ek9max macrumors regular

I found IOS 5 to be great with all the iCloud stuff.

iOS 6 beta has been pretty good too!

6. Epicnessx thread starter macrumors member

It said there was not enough space to complete it and that it would need to remove some media, what do I do now?

7. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

My iPhone just got recently upgraded to 5.1.1; you can stay longer on 4.x. No problem. Only new features will be missed. That's the trade off you need to judge. Since my company don't allow us to use iCloud there was no need to rush.

8. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Remove some media.

It's a good idea to do OS updates periodically, if for no other reason than to have the updated security.

9. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I think you "need to remove some media

Get rid of some movies or pics or music or books... when you plug it into itunes, you can see how much each takes on your phone.

10. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Definitely remove some movies, photos, etc from your phone and update to 5.1.1, it's a great upgrade from iOS 4.

11. Epicnessx thread starter macrumors member

Yesterday I tried removing some photos, notes, apps and it cleared up a bit, but now it's saying my computer does not have enough space to put another backup
    (I believe that's what it said or just not enough space in general)
    Any ideas on what to do? :)

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Delete a backup or clear some other space on your computer. Not sure why the directions we're giving you are more clear that what your computer is telling you.

13. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Make some room on your computer. Before installing the iOS update iTunes makes a backup.

14. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Thanks for the clarification.

If your computer is that full, you REALLY, REALLY need to delete some stuff. You are about to run into an even bigger problem when your computer does not have enough room to even run.

15. Epicnessx thread starter macrumors member

Would I remove the older backups on iTunes? or is there a specific folder I need to go to elsewhere?

16. nostresshere macrumors 68030

You need to look at your entire computer, not just backups. old files, duplicate files, downloads, deleted files, programs you do not use, etc. Start by looking to see how much room you currently have available. Then delete trash. Then delete more stuff.

Your computer is full.

17. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Remove files that you can (you ARE backing up your computer, right?). Generally speaking you should try and keep ~10% of total storage free on your computer for updates, etc.

18. nostresshere macrumors 68030

not trying to be smart, but based on various comments from OP - I would put more money on saying they have not backed up their computer. lol!

19. wharzhee macrumors 6502

+1 lol!!!

20. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Comment to Dell Customer Service when asked if the computer had been backed up.

"Sure, I put in way in back of the desk."

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There is no update that will make your phone NOT work.
    And its up to you, you dont have to update if you dont want to. But some apps on the appstore might require the latest firmware in order to be installed or updated to the latest app version.

22. Che Castro macrumors 603

Well the iPhone 3g on ios 4 begs to differ

Is painful to use