Do you protect the aluminum back of your iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by musika, Feb 18, 2012.

1. musika macrumors 65816

musika

From day one, I've always had a smart cover, plastic back case, and neoprene slip sleeve for my iPad 2. I'm thinking of dropping the back case.

What do you do? Do you protect the aluminum back of your iPad 2?

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

sold it already, but always had the back protected. it will increase resale value, give you peace of mind, and protect it in case something unforseen happens. belkin sells a very low profile one. you don't even know it is on there.

3. Eddy Munn macrumors 6502

Eddy Munn

I never had it protected, and never put a single scratch on it, I'm that careful!
    My unprotected unibody MacBook Pro still has no scratches either.

4. musika thread starter macrumors 65816

musika

I've been thinking of selling and getting an iPad 3 but I really don't want to. I'm happy with my iPad, even though I'm sure I'll really want the new one, mine is still in brand new condition and I use it and it works perfectly. So I'll probably just keep mine and in a couple years when I'm ready, I'll buy a new one.... Then I'll have two! (the iPad 2 and said new one).

And... Sometimes nothing beats the cold aluminum.

5. whynotgotovegas macrumors member

I've always used the incipio smart feather with the smart cover but recently I've been taking it off when I get home. Well, just now I found a tiny scratch/dent in the side of my iPad. Case is going back on!

6. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Case Mate makes a Barely There cover for the back. Feels like it is rubberized like my Thinkpad and add no bulk to your iPad.

Just want to be able to lay it down with out looking for something soft! It just "Balrely lips around the front of the bezel.

It IS the best!

7. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Yes, I use a smart cover and a cover for the back. First tried the Joy Factory clear cover for the back. That lasted maybe a month before the corners of the cover began to split. Switched to the iBlason clear frost. It's still in perfect condition, as is my iPad.

For me, there's no benefit in going without a back cover, especially at my office where paperclips seem to materialize out of thin air (and attach themselves to my iPad).

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

Had a Best Skins Ever clear skin on the back of my ipad2 (now sold). Kept it pristine. The screen protectors suck (same material as Zagg Invisible Shield) due to orange-peel, but for protecting the back of the case it's great. BTW, it worked fine with the smartcover I had.

9. mattraehl macrumors 6502

Mine is naked except for when traveling. There are a few small scratches but not really anything to speak of. I dont want it to be thicker or heavier or uglier for that matter.

10. M87 macrumors 65816

I've had my iPad 2 since the day it was released and never bought a case for it. I can not find a single scratch on the back of the device or anywhere for that matter.

11. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

Bought the Belkin clear case for the back and used the smart cover for a while. Then, bought the Logitech Zagg keyboard (also aluminum) that is a cover for the screen when not in use. Since then, I don't use the Belkin back. But, if I were to do some traveling, I WOULD put it on, along with the smart cover.

12. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I've got a smart cover for it, the back isn't protected. However, when travelling it's protected by the Swiss Gear bag I use for the laptop & misc stuff.

13. chris566 macrumors regular

I use a invisibleshield-like skin for the back that I bought on eBay for five bucks. I love it. It gives my iPad the naked feel that I love and I know it's thoroughly protected against scratches. I hate the invisibleshields for the screen. You lose the feeling and it adds a strange texture when touching or swiping. Smart cover and invisibleshield for the back is all I need.

14. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I have a Dodocase Bookback on mine love it. It gives the back a little grip, is pretty thin and is removable without leaving any residue. I had my iPad 2 replaced due to a crack in the screen and I peeled it off and reapplied to the new unit right in the store, though it took some effort--really sticks on well.

Looking at the price though I believe I got mine for a bit less early last summer.

15. Doombringer macrumors regular

I use an Incipio smartfeather for my iPad 3's back cover. It is very low profile and I like the texture on it. It integrates well with the Smart Cover, too.

16. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I'm very adament about protecting the back. I don't feel the need for a screen protector on my iPad, but that aluminum scuffs and scratches very easily.

My protection setup:

Thin snap-on style back cover (I prefer it to cover all corners and edges)

Smart Cover (I put a strip of scotch tape on that edge of the iPad to keep the inevitable metal on metal scratches from ruining resale value)

Port covers: One for the headphone jack and one for the charge port. I hate all that dust and crap that gathers in those ports and it prevents dust from getting under the screen.

17. an-other macrumors regular

Yes

I use a plastic carbon fibre look skin (www.icarbons.com.) I was tempted to go with the fake brushed aluminium version.

I was worried about the installation as I can be very particular. They have a great video to assist, and a hair dryer is your friend.

Pros: I like the look and feel

Cons: Placing it down on a table, etc. doesn't have the same cushiony feel like an iPad 1 in its apple case.

I'm happy with my choice.

18. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625