Do You Protect Your MBP w/ a Case or Anti-Scratch Film or Something?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HappyDude20, Jan 15, 2011.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I got my MBP back yesterday, pretty much brand new as they replaced the LCD screen, logic board, superdrive, etc (minus the battery & my HD & RAM).

Included was a brand new aluminum unibody keyboard, and outer casing. What I love is that it looks brand new, as if I purchased it @ the Apple Store just last night...but of course i've owned my MBP for almost 2 years now..

But seeing my MBP look brand new, I can't help but think about protecting my MBP this time around.

In a month i'll be in China & Japan for 6 months, so am thinking it may be best to actually protect my computer, but I wouldn't want to @ the behest of having a handicapped looking MBP.

My buddy has one of these, but I think it takes away from the aluminum Apple, in my opinion: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Incase+...29&skuId=9396478&st=incase macbook&cp=1&lp=14

I don't know if it should get something for it, or just keep it the way it is.

2. pogoyoyo macrumors regular

depends how you treat your laptop and what you plan on doing with it. I'm VERY cautious with my macbook pro as i use it for school and at home and well i can tell you i have never dropped it and nobody is ever allowed to use it without me being around. My macbook pro is like new except underneath there are a few scratches but i don't care about the bottom to be honest, as long as the lid and the area around the keyboard and mousepad are clean. I highly suggest not eating next to your laptop cuz gunk could get into your keyboard or you can spill your drink which i already spilled a bit of milk on mine but it didn't get in too far thanks to my fast reactions. I love how slim the macbook pro.. thinner than any other laptop i've seen at school, and i would never ruin the slimness with a case.

3. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I used a wrapsol on mine, very happy with it, and I don't have to worry about scratches at all.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=907258&highlight=wrapsol

There's a thread with some pics. The main benefit of the wrapsol over Invisible Shield or Best Skins Ever is that it maintains the matte/aluminum finish of the MBP.

Good luck.

4. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Just a neoprene sleeve for travel and I'm good to go

5. BigMoo macrumors member

I have an incase hardshell case on mine now and i love it. I like to keep my things just as nice as when i got them, so this was not a hard decision.

6. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

i used to have a transparent skin thing on it. it was amazing, but i didnt like the feel of it.

7. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I don't like the feel of the skins, I like the feel and look of the aluminum body

8. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I preserve mine just by being careful. That, and putting it in an incase neoprene sleeve when I'm carrying it around, also in an HP computer bag.

9. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Just treat your expensive device like an expensive device and it'll be fine. Be responsible.

I was able to sell my Early 2008 MacBook Pro 2.5ghz for $1150.00 last May to help purchase this i5 I'm typing on now.

I attribute a large part of the price I was able to get to it's physical condition. There was not a scratch on the machine and it was still in like-new condition. I traveled quite heavily with it too, including many trips across the country. I also had all of the original packaging in mint condition and the unit was still covered under AppleCare.

Take care of your stuff and it will take care of you.

10. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

A wrapsol'd device is very similar

11. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

I don't have any protect casing on my, I this be careful with it.

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Nah, but my MBP has got it's fair share of dents on the edges. Most of them being my sister :rolleyes:

13. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

I put my MBP in a booq Vyper case when I transport it in my backpack or other bags. Otherwise it's naked all the way.

14. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

My preference is the same. I've owned several new unibody MBP's now, I carry one in a nice protective Coach leather laptop bag every day. While the case was rather expensive it's been worth it since I travel all over the world. The strength, durability & utility have been priceless.

15. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I travel worldwide - if I'm in the states I rock my MBP naked. But when I travel abroad I use the speck see thru satin hard shell cover. Yes, it covers up the nice aluminum unibody look, BUT the black case does look pretty sweet.

Either way, protecting the machine and resell value is my priority.

16. Steve Jobs. macrumors regular

No, I just have a sleeve thing for travel but otherwise my MBP is naked all the time and that's the way I like it. It feels awesome.

I should also mention that in the 1yr I've had it, It hasn't even gotten a single scratch and I'm a college student.

17. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

That's the exact same one my buddy has.

The reason i'm thinking about grabbing one, aside from the daily uncertainties of being abroad for a while, is that currently the aluminum itself feels nice and new...and I don't wanna lose that.

I feel like a pervert sometimes, just feelin' up my MacBook up. :p

18. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Be aware that Speck cases add quite a bit of heft to your MBP, if that matters to you. I have two, and they definitely make the weight more noticeable.

19. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

I just have a sleeve to put it in while on the go. I try to be very careful with it.

20. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

+1

15 months, dozens of overnight trips in two countries, two disassemblies for upgrades... no scratches.

21. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

22. elhungarian macrumors regular

I plan on picking up wrapsol for my mbp when i pick one up after next refresh.

I like that it covers

the top
    the bottom
    the wrist rest
    its anti-glare/matte finish

Invisishield and the like are glossy.. Think it takes away from the nice matte aluminum finish. just my $0.02.

23. HBOC macrumors 68020

i just had a ton of stuff replaced ((everything minus the lower case and power cord), and must admit that I will probably pick up a case to put this in (not a hard case or anything, just a sleeve, if you will).

After 2+ years of stickers/etc on the top, it is crazy nice looking when it is brand new!