do you push or fetch your emails?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by halfmonkey, Oct 21, 2011.

1. halfmonkey macrumors regular

I was curious to know what everybody sets their phone to do in terms of capturing their emails. I currently have a yahoo and google email acct set up on my phone and by default, the google acct is set to fetch while the yahoo acct is set to push. I've noticed with the yahoo acct where it's set to receive emails by push, it doesn't seem that I'm getting the emails in a timely manner. I do realize that the emails are basically sent to me phone when the servers from yahoo pushes them to my phone but it seems that it's not frequent enough throughout the day. What I mean by that is that it seems sometimes, I'll get a batch of emails to my yahoo acct and I'll notice that it'll be a batch of emails that were sent to me over a few hours time.

Has anybody else noticed this too or is it a setting on my phone? I do realize I can change it from push to fetch which I might do but I'm just curious if others are also experiencing the delays of receiving emails from yahoo when set to push notifications. Thanks.

2. Polo2883 macrumors regular

I don't use yahoo. But I have my gmail setup to exchange so I get pushed emails and it also syncs my contacts.

3. chuffman15 macrumors regular

^^^^^^^^^ x2
    if you have gmail. do this:
    delete gmail account in mail settings
    add account:
    choose microsoft exchange
    enter full email address
    leave domain blank
    enter full email address again
    enter password
    enter description

when asked for server info enter:
    m.google.com

enjoy. gmail pushed through immediately not every 15 minutes if you set it up though gmail. i get emails at the exact same time as my macbook pro at home.

4. halfmonkey thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry if this is a stupid question but can you explain to me why using the Exchange option is better than using the actual Google selection when it asks you what type of acct to set up?

Also, if anybody has the same instructions for the Yahoo acct, I'd appreciate it as well. I find myself using Yahoo more then Google. I'm guessing but would the server info be m.yahoo.com?

5. Polo2883 macrumors regular

The Google selection is fetch and not push. So it wastes battery to check for email.

6. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

I believe push drains more battery life than fetch ... especially if fetch is set to every hour.

7. sddabrow macrumors 6502

Not sure thats a valid statement. I have my exchange account specifically on fetch to save battery - checks every hour.

Push can drain more battery if you have poor service, as it needs to maintain a connection for the server to "push" an email to your phone. If your phone is in and out of coverage, it will constantly try and connect to the server.

8. chuffman15 macrumors regular

screw the battery!
    i want my email now now now.

you can google the yahoo sever address, i dont know it

9. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Push and to be honest I Havnt seen a big difference in battery life and I get alot of emails

10. bjm2660 macrumors 6502

I'd be surprised if a thorough comparison hasn't been done already. Preliminary search is not yielding results however. I'd like to see what others can find on the push vs fetch debate.

11. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Mine is set to fetch every 30 minutes...mostly because I don't feel the need to know the instant an email arrives.

12. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

This is what I have as well, except I only have it sent to sync my emails.

13. wtmk81 macrumors member

I have this as well. Mail only. I find I get a day out of the phone no problem. But I wouldn't classify myself as a heavy user at all.

I also found I got much better battery life after I used the phone until it shut off and did a full re-charge.

14. BGTHEMOGUL macrumors 6502

I have my two emails set to retrieve manually because they are not able to be set up via the push method. This way I can just go pull my emails whenever I want to.

15. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure if it was the 5.0 update or the iCloud transfer, but now I have to manually push the mail app to get my mail... It used to tell me whenever I got mail instantly. I have/had a MobileMe account...

I have to hard reset my phone (iPhone4) in order for it to work. But it only works temporarily.

Any one got a fix for this?

16. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Push is more efficient. You could certainly argue that a really long polling interval could make pull efficient but that would only be for a specific case.

As for those who are not seeing quick delivery times with push there are a number of variables that can affect your email delivery even with push. See if removing the account and adding it back helps if you have not done so already.

17. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I've found through personal experience, using gmail via exchange works best for me. Mission critical, the speed at which I receive my email is of utmost importance.

If I sacrifice battery life, I don't care.

Mine came with a charger included :)

18. Jigga macrumors 6502

Using Gmail with Exchange won't allow you to delete your e-mails. It just archives them.

19. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

No, you can delete.

20. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't know what I have, but all I know is that I the email only loads when I open Mail. That's how I like it. If I want to check my email, then I'll open the Mail app. If I don't want to check it, then I won't get my messages until I check.

I know it's certainly not the case for everyone, but that's me.

21. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

I use Push almost exclusively.

I have 2 iCloud accounts, 3 Exchange accounts (1 being gmail), a Yahoo account and an IMAP account (the only non-push account.)

If you're not receiving emails immediately, double check that your notification settings are turned on for the Mail App (Settings > Notifications > Mail). Some people have had luck deleting and reentering accounts, or playing with network settings.

I'm not sure why Push seems flaky for some people - I think maybe something in the upgrade to iOS 5 might have trashed some people's settings. That would explain why just deleting an account and reentering it would fix the problem.

Push is better in nearly all cases (other than maybe selecting "manual" fetch and going into airplane mode between calls...)

22. gameboy213 macrumors 6502

gameboy213

I use push all day with my exchange server. Other two address are both fetched at 15 min.

Battery seems strong to me.

23. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Yes you're correct. It's one of the features of I enjoy. Google gives us so much storage space, I can wait & delete just once a week via filters I've created. It's an extra measure of safety I've found useful.

24. thenumbersrbad macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

i may be over looking something....lol but i have a yahoo, gmail and iCloud email on my iPhone, but i can't find a way to have one push and the others to do anything different...can someone help me out?

25. Carterxx macrumors member

I am having the same issue as one of you.
    'Push' has always worked wonderfully for me, but for the past few days it hasn't worked at all. I have it set up for my Yahoo account and I either have to manually go into the mail app for it to check for new emails, or I will randomly get 15+ emails all at once that are hours old.
    I have already deleted and reentered my email address, so now I am unsure as to what to do.

Any suggestions?

Also, in the settings I do have all the settings correct.