Do you put a screen protector on phone if you upgrade every year (trade in)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gdeputy, Nov 5, 2017.

1. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

considering that Apple doesn’t actually care if the screen is “scratched” do you guys put a protector on or go naked? The Apple protector is almost the cost of a repair anyways.. I did a protector and case on my 7Plus but.. not sure what the protector did for me other than prevent scratches I won’t have to live with anyways since I trade it in.

2. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

nrvna76

Nope. No screen protector and no case for this exact reason.

3. Edge1978 macrumors 6502

I always get a screen protector for my iPhones. Whenever I get a new one, a screen protector is the first thing I put on

4. TrainFromUkraine macrumors member

TrainFromUkraine

I put on a screen protector the second after factory plastic comes off, regardless of how long I plan to keep the phone. $10 tempered glass protectors are a cheap insurance for a device that pushes $1k in price.

5. Rattyblowfish macrumors member

How much is it to get cracked screen replaced for iPhone X? I do have Apple care.

6. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

My phone's have always been naked. (I get the new model every year, and have since the original iPhone).
    • My front left pocket is dedicated for the iPhone. Only two things go in that pocket: my iPhone and my hand. Nothing else, not even receipts, etc, go in there.
    • I don't set my phone down on hard surfaces
    • I don't drop my phone
    And, after a year, my phone looks as new as the day I purchased it.

Some people may consider my 'rules' inconvenient, but I got used to them after having my first iPhone for about a week. In exchange for some minor rules (which are now instinctive for me), I get to interact directly with my precision engineered phone every time it's in hand (which is a lot) rather than interacting with some cheap piece of plastic and all the hassles that involves.

Not dissing people that use screen protectors or cases; we all have different priorities when it comes to our devices. :)

7. darknyt macrumors 6502a

Always a zagg even with annual trade in.

With frequent international travel and kids, no amount of care or rules are going to prevent the occasional dink. Without fail, something has happened that would def either cracked my screen or irritated me for the rest of the year.

8. gdeputy thread starter macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

• Coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage,(2) each subject to a service fee of $29 for screen damage, or $99 for any other damage, plus applicable tax
    So - I'm figuring.. the screen protector & Apple Case will cost me 49+39 at the apple store.

Might as well just pocket the 95 bucks after tax etc. and if something happens, I can always get it repaired for that price or less...

Of course It means I'll need to be a bit more careful with the device, considering a cheaper sleeve (~20 bucks) to travel with but still use it naked.. just seems like for this price I want to enjoy the phone as it was intended.