Do you really honestly think the iPhone 5/6 will be Quad-Core?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Calidude, Jul 17, 2012.

?

Will the iPhone 5/6 be a Quad-Core Phone?

1. Yes

43 vote(s)
    29.1%
  2. No

105 vote(s)
    70.9%
  1. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

No, it won't, because LTE is a bigger priority for sales and Apple is all about battery life, which will go down the drain if they use a Quad Core CPU. The graphics may be Quad, but the CPU will remain Dual Core.

I really don't know why you guys think it will be Quad Core, especially considering that the phone will be thinner, as well.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Coming up: Can Bees think? A new study shows…no they cannot.

Thanks, Tom Tucker.

3. batting1000 macrumors 604

I think the iPad will get a quad-core CPU before the iPhone does.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

seems like most will agree for the exact same reasons. Also, i think i read somewhere that quad core conflicts with LTE in general

5. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

I keep seeing "Apple haters, Suck it" threads where people keep claiming that the iPhone 5/6 will have a Quad Core CPU.

I know they WANT to think this because of the disappointment of the prototype images that have been leaked, but anybody with a sense of realism and market trends will see that currently, Quad Core CPUs and LTE will destroy battery life.

Besides, when has Apple ever been about specs? Never.

6. Calidude, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012

Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

Yes, they're both very recent developments in the smartphone world and they haven't been properly put together. The specs will in all likelihood look like the internals for the Galaxy S3 but with only 1GB of RAM instead of 2GB.

Also, we all know that the CPU and Chipset for the iPhone 5/6 has been set in stone by now 4 months before release and there's Apple employees right now as we speak going into Mexican restaurants with the phone we will see this Fall, trying it out to make sure it does well in the field.

Seriously, this delusion that the iPhone will be Quad Core has got to stop. Every trend speaks otherwise and people are just trying to hope the iPhone has an ace up its sleeve this year.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Why? Why does it have to stop?
    What harm does it do for users to speculate?
    So a small, insignificant minority of iPhone users are disappointed
    Is that really a big deal?

Stop 100 random iPhone users on the street in Anytown, USA and ask them what processor is in their iPhone and see if ANY can give you an answer

I don't care if it is A4/A5/A6/Ax with dual, quad or deca cores
    All I care about is the user experience
    And so far, Apple has balanced user experience, speed, battery life, resolution and size in a way that gets my $$

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Translation of Mod's comment: "Stop? Why stop?!? It's my job security!" :D

9. Jman13 macrumors 68000

I think it'll be the same A5X that's in the new iPad. So, dual core main CPU, quad core GPU.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I just think it would be more honest for you to re-title the poll:

Do you want me to berate you for being wrong?
    o Yes
    o No

Most polls are created to start discussions. You specifically created one to shut it down.

I don't mind the thread itself. Your opinion is certainly valid. But I think the poll is a bit over the top.

11. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

Speculation is typically based on some evidence or trends that validate it.

Speculating that the iPhone 5/6 will be Quad Core is just baseless, completely off-the-mark, pulled-out-the-rectum nonsense that completely ignores everything this forum and the rest of the internet speaks about on a daily basis.

The harm? If users actually believe it could be Quad-core and it's not, they'll be less likely to buy due to high expectations, meaning less of a community for iPhone users.

12. JAT macrumors 603

13. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

It's only natural and a standard industry practice to promote the "latest" CPU's.

Due to the highly advanced technology, it's not unusual for the chip makers to push chips that are faster that most usage patterns need. Yet in order to keep development going, along with innovation and the requisite improvements, faster and faster chips are being built in very short order.

There's a lot more to a smartphone than the speed and performance of the CPU.

14. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

I'm very confused. Why do people think a quad-core cpu will use MORE power than a dual-core?

http://www.androidauthority.com/quad-core-processors-a-laymans-guide-75308/

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/nvidia-quad-core-can-actually-use-less-power-than-dual-core/46478

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57410518-94/7-myths-about-quad-core-phones-smartphones-unlocked/

The last one covers how more cores could be a hinderance, but could also still save battery life.

Not that I believe Apple will put in a quad-core, but I don't see why they couldn't and still have great (actually better) battery life.

15. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I'm one of the 4 (currently) that said yes.

Apple is no stranger to running MP systems. One of the advantages that Quad Core SoC have is the ability to effectively manage the cores if the logic in them is smartly designed.

Apple has extended a lot of effort in designing software systems that are well threaded and supporting developers with tools to make their apps better at concurrent operations.

It's time to make a QC iPhone but in Apple tradition it'll smarter than many and will not have a negative impact on battery life because of power saving modes that are built into iOS 6.

When plugged into AC the phones cores will run fast and chew through games and other graphically rich data. When running on battery the cores will slow down or even shut off in some cases.

All hypothetical. ARM MP cores may not even support the features i'm talking about here but it's fun to think about.

16. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

And you of all people care about this? You've probably convinced more people to ditch the iPhone that the Quad Core rumors ever will. Besides, a few dozen nerds not buying it will hardly make a dent in the 10 million sales it'll make on the first day...

17. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Here is what I do not understand about the rumors... I do not understand why the phone needs to be thinner. All of the new touch phones are pretty thin for the most part (I am sure there are exceptions, like when people use larger batteries). So many people use phone cases anyway, adding to the thickness.

I personally do not like having a case on my iPhone, but I use one to hopefully save it if I drop the phone. And my case has saved it a few times.

If they get too much thinner, they will start to feel cheap like you can break them too easily. I think the current thickness is fine, I would prefer the phone to be slightly more durable.

As a simple numbers example, if the phone cracks 50 % of the time when dropped from 4 ft, and the newer phone decreased that 50% down to 45 or 40, I would prefer that to having it get thinner. It is already thin enough IMO.

EDIT: Also, I do not think they will us a Quad Core processor, especially if they try to "push up" the release date to compete with the GS3. It makes more sense for the next iPad like someone already said.

18. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

No. Dual core 32 nm A5.

19. JayTruth macrumors newbie

I'm gonna say it'll be quad core for the bigger screen and to stay with the super heated competition with the GS3. If not though, I think they'll use a super powered dual core arm cortex A15.

20. ray6712 macrumors regular

ray6712

it will probably feature a quad core processor they have already said they can have the quad core with lte ready to go and if done in true apple fashion the will get better battery life out of it

21. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Unlike the New iPad with it's newly minted Retina display the iPhone has done the Retina transition years ago.

This means that GPU power is sufficient today though it'll likely get a nice bump.

The iPhone "next" will probably employ a 32nm SoC. Since the GPU doesn't have to be massively updated like the iPad it gives the hardware people the ability to take advantage of the smaller SoC dimensions to focus on CPU performance.

Quad Core vs Dual Core doesn't really matter for battery life as you could easily create a Dual Core processor that eats up the same power as a Quad Core.

In the end it's going to come down to performance. Is iOS a more fluid and powerful system with a Quad Core clocked lower or is it more fluid with a higher clocked Dual Core?

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Well said, and for the vast majority of people (people who don't come here) this is all that matters as well.

23. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

It doesn't matter as Apple is sure to have put a great deal of effort into ensuring iOS 6 is mated perfectly to the hardware.

To me the A5X slightly downclocked would be fine, especially since it runs the iPad3 without effort and the iPhone5 will have about a 1/3 of the pixels to push.

A dual core CPU, and the latest PowerVR GPU will probably be overkill if anything.

24. Jb07 macrumors 6502

Why even ask if you're so sure that you know Apple won't use a Quadcore? You have absolutely NO clue whether they will use a dual or quad core processor.