Do you really think we won't see a MBP 13" revision before Christmas

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by greedyhands, Nov 5, 2009.

1. greedyhands macrumors member

I'm going to Portland for a month in December and I really wanted to be able to travel with a 13" MBP. I certainly refuse to buy the current model given that the specs are less impressive than the new MB in certain areas. What I'm wondering is, would everyone consider a processor speed bump on the MBP to be going against Phil Schiller's announcement about the holiday line-up being set? I keep on crossing my fingers and hoping that a processor and a HDD bump would not be sufficient enough for the MBP to be considered a new product, thereby making it possible for them to introduce it before December. Does anyone think there is a reason to hope for this, or should I just give up and wait until January?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

There is no reason. It's getting rather late for Apple to upgrade products. They just upgraded the iMac, so it's likely they would have done it then, if they were. Phil said no more new products before the holidays and there is near certain to be an update in January/February - updates so close of each other wouldn't make much sense.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

They said their holiday line-up is set. Which areas are the MBP's specs less impressive than the MB?

Better screen, backlit keyboard, larger cache, FW800, SD slot, etc.

4. PAC88 macrumors 6502

That's funny you brought this up because I was just thinking about it and about to post a thread like yours.. I really hope they update the 13" before the holidays because I need a new notebook pretty bad.. I'm not sure how much they would bump the specs but I'm hoping whatever they do, an antiglare option is made available. That's all I have really been waiting for.. I ask the people in the apple store about this all the time and they kinda make it sound like it is coming eventually.. they just keep telling me "well apple gave the 15" an antiglare option 6 months after the 17", so I guess we'll see"

with that said, I can easily wait until jan/feb to see what happens to the whole mbp lineup though. Even if they do update the 13", I'll probably wait until early next year to see what happens to the rest.

5. greedyhands thread starter macrumors member

That all seems to make sense. And it seemed they should have went ahead and upgraded the MBP when the iMac was. It's just so pompous for Apple to try and get away with selling the 2.26 MBP for so much more than the MB even though the MB has 90GB more on storage.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The only thing I'd see happening is they may add the matte option to the 13" MBP and if so they would do it silently. It is getting rather late and I'm thinking they've given the 13" MBP the moniker of a pro but still want to treat it is the stepchild.

7. Mactagonist macrumors 6502a

So buy a 500gb drive for $80. This seems like a manufactured dilemma. "Oh no, in one tiny, easily fixable way the stock baseic MB beats the stock basic MBP13 what ever will I do?" :rolleyes:

The MBP has at least 7 advantages over the MB off the top of my head. Its one disadvantage is easily fixed.

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If you only care about storage then I can see that, but as I said before the MBP has:

9. DKatri macrumors 6502

there has been confirmation from apple saying they wont be refreshing anything else before the holidays.

As for the MB vs MBP thing, the advantages have already been stated, but also it is a much nicer product as a whole and feels much nicer to use.
    A friend of mine brought a new MB a few days after they were announced and he already regrets not going for the pro.

10. greedyhands thread starter macrumors member

I certainly don't disagree with you on the ease of upgrading the hard drive, or that it is relatively inexpensive. Keeping the HD upgrade in mind it puts the MBP 2.26 at $280 more expensive. For my needs I don't feel the advantages are worth that price. I already have a portable SD card reader, I don't own any FW products (nor do I anticipate buying any). As for the backlit keyboard, I couldn't forget where the keys on a mac are if I tried to. The RAM cap is the only thing keeping me from getting the MacBook, but I don't think that is worth $280 to me considering I would have to spend another $1000 to get it up to 8 gigs. I guess I've been hoping for a silent upgrade in the wake of the new MB. If there isn't one I can certainly wait.

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I don't understand your issue with the RAM, but otherworldcomputing will sell you 8 gigs of RAM for 500.

12. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

Highly unlikely that apple will do anything to their lineup till jan/feb

13. Deppe macrumors member

I just wonder what was wrong with all the other threads about this subject??

14. Fuchal macrumors 68020

It's worth it just for the vastly superior display.

15. greedyhands thread starter macrumors member

I simply didn't scroll down far enough. I haven't visited this board in a few months.

16. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

This thread and others like it just indicate that the current version of the Macbook Pro is just not the one to buy and we are waiting to spend our cash. The current lineup has just been updated with software to not halt and stall multiple times per hour. Many users like me are waiting for the next revision to finally have new intel hardware and hopefully skip this lemon generation of the Macbook Pro. It is a healthy indication that we are faithful to the Apple brand even in this buggy season. We are just waiting.

17. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

And when the new version has bugs because of the new hardware switch you will complain about what? I guess for me it was easy because I needed a laptop now not in 4 months and maybe I have been just been lucky but it's hardly the piece of crap you make it out to be.

I used to get stressed about the "new" versions of things or worrying if they will upgrade and I learned the futility of that. Trust me it will be better for your blood pressure.

18. vant macrumors 65816

Yes, lets just look at specs and nothing else.

If your really in to specs, why don't you go over to the windows camp.

19. Lucbert macrumors regular

Lucbert

As far as I know you can just take it back within 14 days of purchase...

20. direzze macrumors member

You're right that it's not worth it, but I think Apple knows they can still make some cash before the average consumer starts to see that they are paying $200 more for aluminum and keyboard lights

21. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

If they made a 15" blackbook in the old style I would have considered it agaisnt the Pro 15" if the price was significantly less...but I looked at the new white macbook for all of about 5min before I decided I really liked the aluminum better. Only later did I decide I wanted the 15 for sure.

I knew exactly what I was paying for and even had to pay more since I bought it in a foreign country that upcharged even more but I am still happy with it. It was worth it to me. I know if I was sitting here with a 13" plastic mac I would be unhappy.

22. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Then buy a MacBook, or wait. :rolleyes: Apple doesn't build computers for you, if they don't fit your needs, than there are other options available to you.

23. darngooddesign macrumors G3

And firewire and SD slot and larger cache and a better screen.

Obviously if you don't need these things its not worth it. Then again, people paid over a hundred for a black macbook.

24. direzze macrumors member

That's why I said "average consumer" :p

25. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

I would have paid it too had I bought a Mac then because I hate white and that's how much more it cost for the black. Where do you get this idea we are being 'tricked' into this or are 'stupid' because we buy what we want?