Do you really use the cellular functionality on your  Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by akash.nu, Oct 7, 2018.

1. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

I’ve ordered my first ever  Watch this year, the cellular version. But having read some reviews and watching some videos on YouTube, I’m not too sure if I really need the cellular version or can save that money. Curious to know the main differences between the GPS & GPS+Cellular model and how you guys are using them.

2. Nell macrumors 6502a

Nell

For me, cellular is a useful backup option. I care for my elderly mother; if she presses her pendant alarm while I’m out, I need to get the call. If I forget my phone (or it runs out of battery) it’s good to know I’m still contactable.

In practice that means I almost never actually make or receive calls using LTE on my watch but it’s still well worth the cost for me.

3. akash.nu thread starter macrumors 604

akash.nu

This is the thing. I found out that calls or text will not get through to your watch if the phone is not switched on. Watch the attached video in my previous post.

4. Nell macrumors 6502a

Nell

5. Arcade macrumors regular

Arcade

I disconnected mine the next day I don’t worry about the battery because I have a battery backup that’s small to carry around.

6. Pez555 macrumors 68020

Pez555

Depends on your lifestyle but I have zero interest in the cellular options. I think this year I’m going for the aluminium 44 GPS only.

7. akash.nu thread starter macrumors 604

akash.nu

I mean I don’t really stay away from my phone ever. The only use case I can think of is when I’d like to keep my phone in the locker at the gym and go for workout, right now I carry my phone with me which is probably not the right thing to do.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Tried it on my AW3 and cancelled the service after 30 days. The speaker quality was so bad that it was only practical in near quiet areas. The AW4 speaker is MUCH better, works great with Siri. Time will tell if I try it again as I seldom leave my phone behind.

9. Frankfurt macrumors 6502

Frankfurt

Use it when hiking or working out and phone remains home. Combined with AirPods the watch is fantastic, I listen to music and make the occasional call. I prefer answering text messages via dictating on the watch - much faster than typing and it is mostly accurate.

10. Nell macrumors 6502a

Nell

The speaker on my S3 works really well. The microphone must be working really well too as my mum, who is very hard of hearing, is always complaining she can’t hear me on the phone but weirdly always hears calls taken on my watch.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 7, 2018 ---

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

If you are happy with the S3 speaker, the S4 would blow you away. But if the S3 is doing it, no need to upgrade.

12. xDKP macrumors 65816

xDKP

I know this isn’t a series 4 exclusive, but coming from a Series 2 it was blowing my mind: Yeaterday when I took the dog for a walk I didn’t grab my phone but just put in my AirPods and went out. I started the walking workout (had a week-challenge) and jumped into the music app. Decided I wanted to try out some jazz and pressed play - as I said the Series 3 also did this, but when the speed and ease the Series 4 did all this blew my mind. Damn this is a great little device

13. jsd79 macrumors member

I used it so rarely on my S3 that it wasn’t worth the additional upfront and monthly costs. When I got my S4 I went with the non-cellular model and am just as happy. But everyone’s use may be different...

14. fate0311 macrumors 6502a

I have found that leaving my phone behind whether it is in my vehicle while I go inside a store or while I'm in class has been nice. Not having a large square imprinted in my pocket has been a huge pro.

The other key point being able to pair AirPods and only wear my watch during a workout. Prior I ran with my phone in my hand or shoved it between my skin and waistband of my sweatpants or shorts to hold it in place. Then when doing decline bench it would fall out on me. Never liked arm bands either.

So these two points have been big selling points for me.

15. xDKP macrumors 65816

xDKP

I do the same thing now. Leave my phone in the armrest of my car charging and doing a lot of errands with my watch and the AirPods - talk about a great team

16. akash.nu thread starter macrumors 604

akash.nu

I just keep the phone by my side while doing weights but I need to constantly be careful about them. Nothing has ever happened thankfully, but you never know.

17. big samm macrumors 65816

big samm

Mostly when im working out and leave the phone at home or like others i leave it in the car and use my AirPods with it great combo. Plus i only pay 5$ a month for me it’s worth it.

18. Farrellcollie macrumors 6502

I use it a lot. I prefer to walk my dogs or bike without carrying the phone. I have a separate phone for work and the Apple Watch keeps me from having to carry two phones, and sometimes just I run out without my phone but I never don't have a watch on. If the phone ever gets to a place where I can have two sims that work on any company and are not dependent on one another, then maybe the watch capability won't matter as much to me

19. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

I purchased the celluar option last year, but realized it wasn’t necessary for my lifestyle, so I got the GPS version this year. I usually have my iPhone with me everywhere I go, even running and cycling.

Overall it depends on your lifestyle and if you are ok with paying the extra fee for the watch itself and the celluar fee per your carrier’s prices.

20. mcvaughan macrumors 6502a

When working in the yard, on a jog, or just in the grocery store, I use the cellular functionality. LOVE IT!

21. rnangie macrumors member

I justified getting cellular because I'm a hospice nurse that works on call. I like knowing that I can be contacted if I forget my phone. And I don't like to take my phone with me when I run

22. Nell macrumors 6502a

Nell

I may be lucky with my S3 but it’s great so, as you say, no need to upgrade. I avoided taking calls from my mum on my watch for ages on the basis that it would be too frustrating; in fact it’s the phone that has me yelling to be heard (basically all phones, not just my iPhone; landlines are equally bad but for some reason she hears calls from my watch).

23. Mr.C macrumors 601

To be honest I hardly ever used the cellular capability of my watch as I pretty much always have my phone with me but I like the fact it’s there if ever I need it even though I’m paying £5 a month for it. Besides I had no choice but to get cellular capability in the first place as I wanted the stainless steel model.

24. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

I take calls with AirPods & the Watch. It’s fine for me. Also being able to stream music and not have to deal with picking what music is on my watch is nice. I use the LTE feature mostly when I’m out walking the dog or just exercising in general and don’t need to worry about where my phone is. Also when I’m on call for work, it’s a nice feature to have and not feel tied to my phone. I also like that if I forget the phone I don’t have to turn around and go back to get it. The LTE option is purely luxury. You don’t need it for the Watch to work for you, but as others said depending on your lifestyle it’s a nice option to have.

25. akash.nu thread starter macrumors 604

akash.nu

Then the Xs will be for you.