Do you regret buying your HD-DVD player/movies?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Prof., Mar 30, 2008.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Now that Blu-Ray has officially won the format war and HD-DVD will eventually become obsolete, do you regret buying your HD-DVD player and movies?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Do you really think anyone is going to answer "no"? ;)

3. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

Some may. I'd regret buying a blu-ray player if HD-DVD won.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes- and who knows? If movie rental downloads catch on, blu-ray may also become irrelevant.

5. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I kind of doubt it, but I certainly feel no need for a blu-ray player. The difference between blu-ray and HDMI upload just isn't that noticable. Blu-ray is definitely useful for storage though.

7. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

I don't like DLing movies cause I don't like it taking up space on my HDD. Yeah I could buy a 1TB ext HDD but I prefer having a hard copy. It's easier to lose something that is digital then it is that is compact disk.

8. JHacker macrumors 6502

JHacker

But it didn't, and you asked if you regret buying HD-DVD, so the answer is obviously yes...

9. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Goodness, this isn't IM you guys:D

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Physical media, whether it's Blu-Ray, HD-DVD or some successor down the road isn't going anywhere. Online rentals aren't 1080p, don't have high definition 7.1 audio, and some are compressed and you can tell it. And besides, for those of us on slower connections, I can drive out to Blockbuster and back before I can download a movie.

Anyways, to the question at hand, I don't have either. But I wouldn't necessarily regret buying one. EAs long as it still works, and you have some HD-DVDs, you can still watch them. Besides, it's just that excuse you were looking for to get a PS3 ;)

Now, if I bought an HD-DVD player and a bunch of HD-DVDs, and the player broke and I couldn't replace it, and I had all these movies I couldn't watch, yeah, I'd be pretty pissed

11. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Exactly my thoughts. My uncle still uses his Beta player to watch the movies he has for it, so I figure I can watch my HD-DVDs as long as my player holds up and blockbuster online still rents HD-DVDs. I head to ebay and amazon regularly to find good deals on people getting rid of their HD-DVDs, I usually find a couple a week.

12. Frisco macrumors 68020

I just don't see the excitement that Blu-Ray has compared to DVD. Everyone wanted a DVD player. Today few know what Blu-Ray is.

13. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Yeah, that is very true. I got one when I bought my PS3, but I just don't think people are desperate for an upgrade like they were when the DVD craze was around. Honestly, the VHS to DVD improvement was far greater than the DVD to BluRay. Sure, Blu Ray is great quality, but if you compare it to a DVD, its just quality. But if you compare a DVD to VHS... wow. No more "Be Kind, Rewind", Menus!, surround sound, and not to mention the size difference.

14. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

HD DVD player now are SO cheap, and the function as great upscaling players. So assume you didn't pay to much, you have good upscaling player, that can play some really HD stuff, you likely got a good deal.

Plus HD DVD disk should be on the cheap!

15. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I regret I won't be able to get HD media for my HD-DVD player, but considering what it (didn't) cost me, I can't really complain. It's still a great upconverting DVD player.

16. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Just to point out a good deal, Planet Earth HD-DVD is only 29.99 new through the discovery store. Not much on ebay and amazon can beat that, even used.

17. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I don't regret the HD DVD movies but I do regret buying the Xbox360 HD DVD drive, it's just too noisy. It adds more noise to an already noisy system.

I ended up buying the LG Super Blu so it plays Blu-ray and HD DVD. HD DVD's are now getting cheaper. Some of them are now $9.99 at Fry's. I'll get a few more and then slowly move to Blu-ray.