Do you still buy music cds or movie dvds?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by agkm800, Oct 15, 2009.

1. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

I rarely bought music cds or movie dvds so it's not much of a change for me in recent years. But, if you are someone who often used to buy real music cds or movie dvds, do you still do so?

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

No. I never bought many before the digital switch though. It must have sucked for people before they could just buy the 2-3 good tracks off of a disc.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I buy both music CDs and movie dvds on rare occasions.

4. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I only buy a CD if I really like the album, or if I like moderately well but love the artwork. U2 and Simple Minds, for example, I wouldn't think twice about buying the CD. Enigma is one where I buy them also for the artwork - their album art is awesome.

DVDs, what isn't available on Netflix that I really like, I'll buy it on DVD.

A lot of my entertainment is digital, though; and in recent months I've liquidated a lot of my hard-copy music on eBay..

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I still buy cds every now and then because it is easier to play them in my car. As for dvds as long as the digital stuff has drm on them I will not toach them and that goes double for apple drm because they limit all playing to only apple devices.
    I much rather watch movies on my tv than my computer. The screen, sound system and sitting are by far much better than at my computer

6. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Absolutely. Every time.

I don't buy digital music or movies. We've had too many examples so far of a company changing the model, and your music library is no longer available. Or oops, we weren't licensed to sell that... Etc.

I want physical media. That I can then convert into a digital format for easier transport, with the originals safely stored.

I bought a song or two online just to test the process, but having to wonder if I will be able to play the music in 5 years because it was in X format, no thanks.

With a decent version of the source on hand, I can put it into any new format that rolls along.

7. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Same here i haven't bought any for a while though, not since i bought my house had other stuff to sort out.

8. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

I didn't really listen to music before my ipod, so I don't buy cds, but I'll still buy a dvd so I can watch it on any player and if I really like it I can use handbrake to put it on my ipod.

9. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I never really bought a cd ever but I did buy alot of dvds and now I buy bluray.

10. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

I sometimes buy a CD. Only when I am in FYE and cant resist a good band. But most of the time I just buy it off iTunes if I can't resist.
    As for movies, I have only bought one off iTunes. Only because I was bored; and it took forever, so I could have went without it. But I will always buy the actual DVD. Mainly because hard drives seem to fail...wouldnt want to lose my copy now would I :)

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The key is not to follow crappy bands that can only create a few good songs. ;)

I almost always buy CDs. Better quality, I can rip them into whatever I want, etc.,.

Lethal

12. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

13. b01189 macrumors member

Ya, going with the bluray video and audio really cant get much better other than uncompressed:D

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I only have a few music CDs but I prefer DVD's over downloaded versions. With a DVD you can just put it in any DVD player and off you go. With DD you have to have a more expensive streamer device attached, a network etc... Nah. I'm sticking with DVD for the foreseeable future.

Though all my PC games now are bought on Steam and music is all from iTunes or ripping CDs from my relatives.

15. jointsmoking macrumors regular

i do. i buy more vinyl but i still buy quite a few dvds and cds

16. Keebler macrumors 68030

i still buy CDs occasionally - i'm just really picky about who I buy and where I buy them from.

movies - not so much - a matter of hardly any time, and I don't want my kids to be putting something inappropriate by accident (even though i'm usually around - a movie like 300 (the last movie I bought) might traumatize them enough.

the kids will save their money and buy a movie every once in a while.

17. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

For the last 5 or so years my general rule has been to buy CDs if they were cheaper than the digital downloads (the vast majority of my music is entire albums instead of singles). I used to use iTunes a lot but that's changed since they now seem more expensive than just about everywhere else.

I have an old emusic account which gives me an amazing rate and I use Amazon for my more mainstream music and for individual singles.

I'd download movies too if it wasn't for the insane DRM. I want to burn the things to a DVD for back up and so I can watch them on a normal TV.

18. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Occasional CDs, if I want the quality...and cant remember the last time I actually bought a movie at all... netflix all the way.

19. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I never buy CD's anymore; I buy all my music online. However, I still buy plenty of DVD's, especially with special deals, though I'll often rip them.

20. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I buy all my music digitally, but if I get the actual cd if it's an album I really like. Most of the times they are albums I have to have imported from another country. I'm currently waiting for my copy of "Anjunabeats volume 7" to get shipped to me.

My movies, I never buy digital movies, they seem too tied in with DRM. I prefer the BluRay and DVD. If I can't find it on BluRay, I stick to DVD. My BR collection is really building up though, there is a great second-hand shop called Graywhale nearby and they always have awesome deals. I'll end up getting like 5 BR movies and only pay about 80.00 USD for them.

21. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

CDs, yes. Vinyl, yes. DVDs, rarely. I have a Blu-Ray player, but have no interest in owning Blu-Rays.

22. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

CDs. Many of them. :D

Single tracks I get either from iTunes (if AAC is sufficient) or Beatport/Juno (if I really want them lossless). Don't buy as much vinyl as I used to years ago.

I don't buy too many DVDs at all, but I decided to try and watch most of the IMDB Top 250, so that might change in the near future. I guess I will just rent most of them, though.

23. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

For certain bands, I'll buy the CD without any hesitation. I usually buy DVDs, but I'm trying to hold off on things I know will be/have been released on Blu-Ray, as I would just end up buying it twice.

24. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

We only buy music and videos through iTunes.

It's been about five years since either of us here have bought an actual DVD or CD.

25. snowdeflector macrumors newbie

snowdeflector

I still buy cd`s < mostly those sweet : buy 3 for the price of 1 oldies >