Do you still want an ALL Black Anodized Aluminum iPad option?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by appswipe, Sep 26, 2012.

1. appswipe, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012

appswipe macrumors 6502

First off, as an iPhone 5 owner then let me say that I feel this whole "scuffgate" thing is a bit overblown. But it does point out a major issue for those of us begging for a black iPad. A large sheet of coated aluminum will not remain scratch-free forever. So with that in mind, do you still want a Black iPad Option?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Personally, I feel that black coated aluminum is stunningly amazing and I'd definitely get this color for the Mini or next iPad regardless of it being a scratch magnet..

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Personally, I'd love a black iPad. But, me being me, the first thing I'd do is put a clear back skin on that thing the moment it comes out of the box (I did this with my iPad 3) to avoid any scratches or anything. This is, of course, assuming it doesn't come out of the box already scratched ;)

3. Byeen macrumors member

Byeen

Design of iPad is really great, it looks perfect, and personally I wouldn't like to have a black back version :)

4. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

My iPhone 5 isn't as fragile as reported. If I don't have metal things in my pockets where the iPhone will be, I think it's going to be fine.

5. Jord5i macrumors member

Ugh it's such a shame really. The black looks sooo good!

6. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I recently sold my white iPad and will be moving back to both the black iPhone and black iPad so I definitely want black to remain an option.

7. LastOneToKnow macrumors member

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I prefer a white iPad. But the one I have now is black because that's what Target had on launch day. It's also why I only have a 32GB model. In the future I plan to stick with the white models. I'm not sure why, but I just like them better. I end up buying cases, so it's not like the back's material is an issue.

9. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I think he meant the back of the iPad being coated with a black layer.

10. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Thanks for the clarification. I still want the black option :D

11. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I agree it would look really nice but I'd probably be one of the people who puts a clear skin on it to avoid scratches :p

12. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

It would be nice if Apple made their iPads and MacBook Pros match the iPhone with the color options...so yes. The silver aluminum on my MacBook Pro is scratched in some places, so it's not like it's that big of a deal. Scratching happens regardless of color. It's just more noticeable on black things, just like with a car, etc. It's a given.

13. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

I definitely want one. I'm not having any issues with my black iPhone 5 and I'd love to transfer that stunning "stealth" look to my iPad.

14. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

Haven't thought if it, but yes I'd ditch my iPad 3 in a heartbeat for a black iPad 4.

15. jrtdot macrumors member

Just ask the ladies, black is better...wait...

16. kannesss macrumors 6502a

i want one so i can etch my name in the back lol;)

17. MrMacBookPro macrumors 6502

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't really care about the color on the beck but I'm guessing that with all the complaints, they'd change the process in order to make sure it was less delicate.

19. appswipe thread starter macrumors 6502

My wife has an iPad 3 that I had no intention of replacing next year, but after upgrading to the iPhone 5 (and selling my iPad 2 early in hopes of the iPad Mini) then The iPad 3 would be the last 30pin device still in use. So I'm hoping for Black just because of how stupid it sounds to upgrade just to simplify our cord situation.

20. plucky duck macrumors 6502

Black anodized metal looks nice, but it scuffs and the scuff marks are pretty apparent. Glass scratch and crack, metals scuff, pick your poison. Perhaps a compromise would still be a clear coat on both the front and back, or even better a casing, but that is kind of defeating the designer's purpose of showcasing it's beauty in all its glory.

21. Zcott macrumors 68020

I think I'd rather go the other way and see a silver metal backed iPhone.

22. pear21 macrumors 6502

pear21

I wish they would take the look of the ipad and bring it to the phone, I love the rounded sides on the ipad and I think it would feel very nice on a phone.

23. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

How about a plastic iPad option? The glass and aluminum one feels fragile.

24. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal