Do you stream music or do you have it locally stored?

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2014
I didn't see a thread for this, so I decided to make one!

Do you stream music or do you have it locally stored?
Personally, I used to stream, bit since I moved carriers, my internet was weak at school. So that's when I started to have it locally store. But once in a while, I do use Pandora and Spotify to discover songs. What about you?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I do a little bit of both. I have music on the iPhone and I use iTunes Radio. I just made a new station to listen to in the car this morning.

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
Both, on wifi I stream. iTunes Radio.

On the go, I keep 3-4 playlists synced.

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
I do both. Used locally stored forever and decided to change it up with spotify as well as 8tracks for some playlists. Now, my locally stored music is about a gig or two of songs that are not available on spotify.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
Stored music is dead for me.

Podcasts are are that is left. Theres more new music coming out every week than I can listen to.

emir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
Spotify Premium all the way with offline availability when needed. Just if their catalogue was a bit better and they were owned by Apple for full integration...

also, this thread should've been a poll.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Stored. I have a comparatively small data plan because we have Wi-Fi at work, but they probably wouldn't like me streaming music over it all day :p

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Stored locally on my PowerBook G4 in iTunes. Uploaded/deleted to Google Play using the Google Music Manager System Preference whenever my iTunes library is modified (including playlists) and streamed from Google Play to my iPhone using the Google Music app.

Never have to worry about my music getting from iTunes to Google Play. It's automatic.

I have a 64GB iPhone 5, but ALL my music (over 9GB) is on Google Play because of this process.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I stream everything with Google play. I signed up for all access when it was $8 and I've kept it since then.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Stored locally, about 3gb. The convert to AAC function is really neat and a space saver.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Locally stored. Everything (except for movies) is on my rMBP and iPod Classic with some playlists on my iPhone. I buy less music on iTunes in a year than it would cost me to stream paid Spotify or the like, and I share 6gb of data with two other iPhones and an iPad. My car also has no built-in integration, so I'm limited to an FM transmitter which just isn't worth it most of the time. FM radio is free, and I don't mind the commercials.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Tored locally. I stream all my music with iTunes Match at work. I haven't gotten into the whole Spotify thing yet, I just like one app for my music and happy with this set up so far.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Stored locally. What happens to you guys who are out of signal on your network or have a weak signal?

I could never rely on a network to stream music due to it's unreliability. It's almost guaranteed to lose signal or have an unreliable signal when you're travelling at speed on the train or when you're on the move. If you live in London and are travelling on the tube/underground as many people do there is no signal so you'll have to rely on locally stored music if you want to listen to music on your daily commute.

Also, the battery drain on 3G/4G is quite high. That's why i avoid streaming music over a cellular network.

sixxmum

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2010
Another Spotify Premium user.

I always have a dozen Spotify playlists or albums downloaded at a time for times when signal is weak etc.