Do you support spending on America's Infrastructure?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by G51989, Jul 2, 2014.

?

Should we upgrade America?

1. Yes

53 vote(s)
    84.1%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    7.9%
  3. We are fine the way we are

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. That money is better spent on war

5 vote(s)
    7.9%
  1. G51989, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014

G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

http://www.infrastructurereportcard.org/a/#p/home

Current report card of America's overall infrastructure.

Fail.

http://www.army.mil/article/129147/Chief_of_Engineers_urges_U_S__infrastructure_improvement/

From the US Army Core of Engineers

http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2014/06/27/american-infrastructure-report

Do you support overhauling America's failing infrastructure? Yes or no? Why or why not?

Personally, I do support overhauling eveything, and I mean everything.

What do I mean by everything? Well

Highways
    Airports
    Seaports
    Rail lines
    Power Lines
    Power Plants
    Adding high speed rail to the coasts
    Water systems
    Sewage systems
    Dams
    Locks
    Flood Control systems
    Bridges
    Low level public transit
    Schools
    Interstate system

I could go on.

The fact is, all of these are nearing the end of their lifespans and need to be upgraded and replaced, if America wants to keep going, this spending needs to happen. We need to be spending 3 trillion fixing America's backbone, not blowing up brown people in the middle east for DOD profit.

And, I should mention, these reports come from engineers, not politicians. Which is good, because an engineer, I can say we know a little more about these things than some botox stuffed politician

2. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Where's the "Hail yeah!" option.:D I guess yes will have to do.;) I'd be happy if we spent ALL of our tax money on infrastructure. Fix our roads, schools, healthcare system, power grid, utilities... the whole nine yards.

3. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I really wish more Americans travelled overseas.

Because if they did, they'd begin to understand how badly we are letting our country fall behind the rest of the world when it comes to Infrastructure.

Case in point: Compare LAX, O'Hare and JFK airports to just about any major international airport in Britain, France, Germany, Asia, etc.

Or take freeways. Our once proud Interstate highway system, the arteries that carry so much of our freight and people, is becoming a joke. German Autobahnen, the system on which they were supposedly modeled, are built using concrete foundations that are twice as thick - meaning they last four times longer, and are consequently much cheaper in the long run. But try driving much faster than ~ 60 mph on many US freeways - and you'll be almost shaken to death due to potholes.

I'm sick and tired of idiot US politicians (Republican, mostly) whinging on about leaving "our children debt" - while in reality, we'll be bequeathing them a nation that is - quite literally -falling apart.

If you really believe in "American Exceptionalism" then you need to ask yourself: Why can't our country have the best infrastructure (roads, bridges, airports, dams, etc.) in world. Is it because you elect opportunistic Republican scoundrels who are penny-wise - and billion dollar stupid?

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

really depends on what we are spending & HOW we are spending it, GOVT has a tendency to screw up even a wet dream. as long as taxes are NOT RAISED, I would say end the wars & STOP the foreign aid so we can rebuild here.
    [​IMG]

5. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

Me to, I lived in France for almost two years while I worked for Big Blue, I think the Average American would VOMIT over how much better things work over in Europe.

Can't agree more, I miss the TGV, its the best!

Can't agree more, my personal fave is Charle De Gaulle Airport in Paris, its incredible.

I gotta say, driving across the Autoways in France, and the Autobahns in Germany was amazing ,they were all so well made in comparison to USA Highways

Well, they say that as they are trying to transfer nearly 100% of the wealth from the working and middle class to the elites, so we have s lave system in America. Which we already do.

America did indeed used to be the best at everything, until the right destroyed it.

----------

Even if we didn't have to pay for the wars, we are looking at well over half 10 TRILLION dollars to repair things, let alone upgrade them.

6. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

I love when foreign aid (-1% of the budget) gets lumped in with war/defense spending (21% of the budget) when people bring up less spending.

It's like when conservatives target stuff like PBS and NPR as "liberal wasteful spending".

Helping other nations is helpful when it comes to diplomacy and the like.

7. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

Exactly.

Yep, even though NPR and PBS are crazy popular, and provide content the private market cannot.

I think the right just wants to see more military spending and more dead non white people honestly.

Also, who the hell voted that war is more important than the economic backbone of America?

8. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

The Military Contractors did.

http://watchdog.org/124909/defense-spending/

9. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

Exactly.

They want to take every dollar Americans have, then leave the country to rot, as long as their defense contracts are ok.

What do they care?

10. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

And they will be, they'll just move to another country and start milking them.

11. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

Indeed. People do not realize how much the military industrial complex robs them.

12. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Well, really, they need to realize more than that. They need to realize that any sufficiently large corporation doesn't have a vested interest in anything more than making money. If America were to fall tomorrow, multinational corporations would suffer ... but not fall. There would still be plenty of McDonalds, Walmarts, and so forth.

But, yes, people need to realize how much the MIC screws people over.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Furthermore, the bulk of our foreign aid is for military assistance aka defense contractor jobs program.

14. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

Exactly, if killing Children could somehow make a profit, they would.

Indeed, these people exist to milk America, then leave it for dead.

Tho will have to go to Asia.

Good thing Europeans are so much smarter than Americans and will not let our fate happen to them.

15. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

I kind of wish I live in the UK, or maybe the Netherlands, but don't exactly have the ability to move to either. C'est la vie.

16. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

Thing what bothers me is.

America is a country, that is very diverse, full of incredibly accepting, nice, hard working and great people who are willing to do pretty much anything to be the best.

And these people are being robbed by the leadership of this country.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

can I hug you?:)

18. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

Sure, one time is cool ;)

But between the DOD, contractors, the uber rich paying no taxes, all this ****.

It all falls onto the working American with our system.

Look at the 1940s, 1950s, 1960s and 1970s. Unions were strong, the leadership cared mostly, working rights were so strong, we had a strong middle class, HUGE manufacturing base, cheap schooling, great roads and bridges, were the envy of the world. We made the best everything in the world. Best planes, cars, electronics, computers, you name it, we made it. The only people who could come close to matching us were the Soviets, who also made some awesome stuff.

Then we threw it all away for Reaganomics, which has destroyed America.

Now, we are the laughing stock of the world, at best.

19. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it, right?

History has already proven that Gilded Age policies and economics don't work. That's what ultimately led to the Great Depression.

After that, we turned it around, fought for workers rights, fought for fair wages, and this country thrived like never before. That's when we became the greatest country in the world.

Then Reagan came along and the country did a 180 and started the past 3 decades slide back to Gilded Age type policies. And what happened? Back into a recession, the worst since the Great Depression.

You think we would learn.

20. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

Yep, tho the conditions of the 1900s are largely block from American textbooks, mostly to create a new generation of slaves.

Incorrect.

They work just fine for the elite, that is the entire idea.

According to the right wing in America today, all of that destroyed America.

Yes, Ronald Regan is the worst president even to rule America, him and his cronys destoryed America.

I hope he has a nice stay in hell, where he belongs.

21. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

I'm one of two. You put it as an option. I took it. 'Cause, well, Murka, Hell Yeah!

22. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

I couldn't find a definitive breakdown of the $37 Bill of our foreign aid, tho, I've read things along those lines.

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

24. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I chuckled at the last choice and think the 2 votes for it reflect a sense of humor. :p

25. samiwas Suspended

Don't blame just the leadership. Remember, you also must put a large part of the blame on big business. They've milked this country for everything it's worth, and have left the empty sack there to rot.