Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Just curious how useful and important this camera is to everyone.

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
I used it once for novelty. I'm sure it's nice for taking notes and inserting a pic into a note, but I haven't run into that yet.

waynep

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
I use it for quick shots around the house when I am using the iPad for other things and would like a quick picture. It is easier than finding my phone or camera.

I did see someone out in public using an iPad to take pictures the other day. I have not.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
Never used it yet and I've had my iPad since last September. Too awkward to hold up a huge device to take a picture. Maybe that will change once I start college...

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
Rarely and wouldn't do it in public either, I have seen a few people use it in public and it just didn't seem right lol.

kidnice15

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2012
Jersey City,NJ
I do sometimes just for the heck of it. a lot of the pictures come out nice.. A few pictures I have taken with the new iPad
c2065428.jpg

ed68a46d.jpg

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I've seen some great shots taken with the new iPad, but I just can't hold the darn thing right. It just doesn't feel like a camera, I've taken a couple, but wouldn't consider using it for anything serious even though the enhanced resolution is there.

The iPhone is similar...Too fiddly...guess I'm just used to traditional camera design.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
I use it very rarely. Mostly because of where I'm at right now, I can't get iMessage to work on my iPhone over wifi for some strange reason. So if I'm really lazy and don't care about picture quality, yet I want to show my friends something, I'll take the pic with my iPad, because iMessage works on that. However, if I want to take a decent photo, I'll take it with my iPhone instead and transfer it over via Dropbox or something.

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
I use it very rarely. Mostly because of where I'm at right now, I can't get iMessage to work on my iPhone over wifi for some strange reason. So if I'm really lazy and don't care about picture quality, yet I want to show my friends something, I'll take the pic with my iPad, because iMessage works on that. However, if I want to take a decent photo, I'll take it with my iPhone instead and transfer it over via Dropbox or something.

Isn't the iPad camera just as good as the iPhone?

Daysight

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2011
Big difference: iPhone camera is much better. I very rarely use the iPad camera, but use the iPhone lots for photos and some videos. The iPhone's "camera" ergonomics aren't ideal though, and I've missed pictures fiddling to get the camera launched and find the volume up button to click the shutter.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Problem I have is that the screen glares horribly when outside so it can be quite difficult to use in that scenerio. I use it around the house but probably wouldn't use it out in public.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
As a teacher, I have used it from time to time for when I want to show a document or article on the interactive whiteboard (such as newspaper articles or pupils' work). So I just take a picture of the document, then project it using the VGA adaptor.

The photo turns out pretty well. Now if only there were some way to annotate on photos... :)

Nightprowler

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2012
I use it to remember things, make record of something or convey a quick idea instead of typing a message to friends, but not for photography.

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
I would never. At least not out in public. I was at a theme park last week and saw several people using it as a camera and they just looked so ridiculous.

EthanMiller

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2011
Scans to Evernote, yes. If something needs to be photographed and it's the only thing on me, yes. Otherwise, no. And I pretty much always carry a camera on me, so it's pretty rare. It's just not as good as a dedicated camera.

gameboy213

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I don't take pics with it but I see a ton of people do at events and things. Always makes me chuckle. But I guess the best camera you have is the one you have with you right?

I use it for scanning docs a ton and love it. But that is all.

chokem

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2012
Searcy, AR
Not really. I rarely take my iPad out of the house, and always have my 4S handy. It does have a very good camera for a tablet though.

Scottyee

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
When I first got my iPad 3, using it to take pics and vids was the last thing I would have considered, espcecially since I also have a camera phone and dedicated digital camera as well, which takes great pics and videos. Everything changed though once I used the iPad to shoot and produce a family party video on the iPad alone. To begin with, the ability to monitor what I'm filming on the LARGE HD iPad screen is much more rewarding and accurate (far better detail) than able to see on much smaller screen viewer devices, and this gives me the the ability to adjust composition and lighting to know exactly what the finished results will look like because what you see on the iPad HD screen is what you'll see in the actual video recording or still picture. For impromptu candid photography, I still prefer using the camera in my phone, but for when I have more time to spend composing a shot or shoot a pre-planned video, I now prefer using the iPad. The results continue to amaze me, and with iPhoto, iMovie, and other iPad Apps (importing music from iTunes etc) , i'm able to edit and produce impressive pro looking videos and slide shows entirely on the iPad and then upload directly to YouTube, Vimeo, and/or email to them to family and friends. They're continuely amazed that I'm able to accomplish all this on the iPad alone, and so am I. Perhaps I'm the odd man out here in my appreciation of using the iPad to take pics and videos, but I now take my iPad out with me (in a SF Bags Muzetto Bag or STM Jacket) wherever I go. :)
Perhaps The reason I appreciate using the iPad for taking pictures might be similar to the reason legendary landscape photographer Ansel Adams preferred taking pictures with an 8 x 10 view camera. :D

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona

If you are talking about the 3GS, yes.

But even the iPhone 4, which has the same camera, takes better pictures--and it has a flash whereas the iPad 3 doesn't.

The iPhone 4S camera is heads-and-tails above the iPad 3's.

I took 3 shots the day I got my iPad 3 and that was about it. Oh yea, I think I took one more for Evernote or PDF Scanner.

Michael

Michael

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
If you are talking about the 3GS, yes.

But even the iPhone 4, which has the same camera, takes better pictures--and it has a flash whereas the iPad 3 doesn't.

The iPhone 4S camera is heads-and-tails above the iPad 3's.

I took 3 shots the day I got my iPad 3 and that was about it. Oh yea, I think I took one more for Evernote or PDF Scanner.

Michael

Michael

Good to know, thanks. After looking at the tech specs on apple's site, the iPad3 has a 5MP camera while the 4S has an 8MP. TIL

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
I guess I'm the only one? My phone is a 3G with a crappy fixed focus camera so the one on my new iPad is much better. I use it all the time. Also, i like monitoring on a huge screen.

bettaboy123

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
Michigan
I use it sometimes, mainly because my phone atm, the Xperia Play (one of the worst smartphones EVER!) only has a 5 MP fixed focus camera. :/ I'm getting the Nexus tomorrow though, and hopefully an iPhone in the near future.

I don't mind using the iPad's camera sometimes, but not in public. It's more for quick Instagram shots, casual pictures, when it's my only camera at that moment, and for quick Twitter pics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.