Do you think 1st-gen iPad owners will lose a lot in resale?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BeyondtheTech, Sep 20, 2010.

1. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

... if the 2nd-gen iPad comes out with a front-facing camera?

After seeing how much they're pushing FaceTime and now that the iPhone 4 has become so much more useful or fun with a front-facing camera, I'm a bit nervous after forking $630+ for my 16GB iPad 3G.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They're going to lose a lot in resale value anyways...

3. 88Keys macrumors regular

88Keys

Early owners wont be worrying, they've been enjoying their ipads since launch.

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yeah, I don't think value will drop that much

5. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

No more or less than when a new version of any electronic device is released. Us first geners were aware of this and like the above poster said, we've been enjoying them since release day (30 April 2010 for me).

6. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

+1 that pretty much sums up my ipad life.:cool:

7. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Exactly. Regardless, you have to own BOTH. If you're gonna play the game, win EVERY TIME, and budget enough to buy it all

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I have the €799 64gb 3G

I expect that when iPad 2 is released I'll be able to get €499 for my iPad making upgrading to iPad 2 around €300 if they keep within same pricing structure.

9. hexhead macrumors member

I couldn't be any less interested in trying to use FaceTime as long as it only works on Wfi. So at this point, the camera doesn't interest me.

10. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

Personally don't see face time being all that great on an iPad really

11. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

My iPad is stuck in front of my face all day so facetime will be perfect for me.

12. prot0type macrumors regular

I think since late May for me, but I always knew there would be a new version coming. I still believe iPads will be hard to come by again around the holidays so that might be the time I unload mine towards the next one. I'm giving both of my parents an 8gb Touch and I have a few friends out of state with an iPhone 4, so Facetime would be ideal.

13. Diane B macrumors member

We have 2 and I don't expect we will think about upgrading until gen 3. My 64GB does everything I need including working with Office files, photos, lots of news apps, blogs, RSS, ereaders, mags, etc. I haven't found anything I want to do that I haven't been able to do. When I do, I'll buy a new version. I have no interest in a camera or face to face so until there's more to offer---or need, I'll be happy with mine and my husband hasn't exploited all his 32GB cwn do yet LOL though he loves it.

14. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Based on just a front facing camera for FaceTime? Not really. I mean I don't know how others are but I never use FaceTime on my iPhone. I've used it a total of 2 times since getting the iPhone on launch day and that was just to test it out, not to have a normal conversation. I still prefer the privacy of talking on the phone normally.

15. motty2307 macrumors regular

I think we'll lose some resale value but you're only going to worry about that if you want the front facing camera.

Now if they only bring out a 7" iPad with FaceTime (my personal speculation, not substantiated by any means), I think the resale value will basically stay the same as it is now.

16. sweigner macrumors regular

sweigner

I look at it like this. I have a camera on my G5, on my MacBook Pro, on my iPhone 4, why do I need one on my iPad now also. Truly not a selling point for me.

17. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

+1....Facetime really works well on the iPhone because the iPhone itself is so light that its comfortable to hold in front of you at the right angle while you talk on it. Holding an iPad for a Facetime convo is going to be pretty awkward.

Besides, since Facetime has been around on the iPhone and now iPod Touch for so many months prior to the iPad getting it the "shiny new-ness" factor will make it pretty underwhelming.

Personally, I'm excited for a SMALLER, more svelte iPad...that will make this one look like a big ugly dinosaur by comparison.

I continue to be amazed at threads like this. I had no idea so many owners worried about things like "resale" value of their gadgets. I either sell mine right after buying it when I decide it doesn't live up to the hype (well, usually....theres a few I've kept around I shouldn't have) and take only a minor ding or use the hell outta the thing until it becomes a hand-me-down to my kids or other family members. I guess for some people, being able to "recycle" your gadget investment is important. I tend to view gadget value as what I get out of using the device, not what it will be worth when version 2 is released.

18. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Would have to have higher resolution for me to even think about an upgrade. More RAM is a given, but I use my iPhone 4 for most of my iOS gaming, so that doesn't worry me much either. I don't even think I have used facetime since the first week I was able to. Interesting feature, but useless none-the-less.

I would say no matter what the value will go down once the new one is released... Heck, the value already went down now that Apple has released refurbs of the iPads.

19. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Of course it will lose some value. However, what is the value of using it for a year? Or, using it for 6mos? Either way, that's a lot of enjoyment.

As for resale, if I can get 65%-70% (I believe I will be able to) of the original cost, I will be happy. That is, if I decide to sell it.

If the new one has a front facing camera, I think that, for those that really like FaceTime, it will be hit. Since you need wifi to use it, it means you are probably stationary.Of the people I know that have iPads (6), they all have some kind of stand. So, I don't think it will be awkward. In fact, the stand and large screen could really be quite nice.

20. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I think 50 to 60% should be expected.
    There wil be plenty of people that will be content with the first gen.
    I will be looking for a bargain

21. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

If you are going to use your iPad as a glorified, very expensive fixed webcam, then sure...I guess it will work on a stand. But if its stand-bound, why not use the built-in iSight at that point? Its inevitable that Apple will open up Facetime as the new iChat on OSX.

I remain skeptical that Facetime on an iPad will be that popular. The thing is just too big. Its missing the portability, use-it-anywhere-with-WiFi capabilities of a Facetime session via iPhone/iPod Touch. Its too large to hold comfortably for extended periods of Facetime use (which almost requires you to hold the thing straight out at arms-length distance to avoid the 'up the nose' shots so common with these devices), its inferior to what you likely have on your iMac/Macbook/Macbook Pro.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be useful...just likely an inferior "also has it" feature that will feel like a bolt-on, not a device-defining feature by any means.

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

That much is certain.

I'm wondering about that as well. Unless there is some way the user can rotate the camera, that will mean you will have to hold the iPad a certain way to use face time.

23. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

As soon as apple invites the media for their next iPad event, I'm selling my 16 gb iPad for $450.

24. samcraig macrumors P6

I never buy technology for the resale value. I buy it to enjoy it. If I am able to sell it after I get a new model (or pass it on to a friend/family member) all the better. I realize that I might not be the "norm" here - but I personally find it silly to buy something electronic based on it's resale value. You're not buying real estate people. You're buying technology which will be outdated the moment you bring it home to begin with.

25. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Good luck with that, you can buy a refurbished iPad from Apple now for $449.