Do you think a terriost act will happen at Sochi Olympics?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Jan 20, 2014.

?

Do you think a terriost act will happen at Sochi Olympics?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  3. They will get caught

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  1. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I really hope nothing happens, but the multiple threats are very real. Putin says they can handle security on their own. But I don't know. :confused:

BTW ... What I mean by "They will get caught" in the poll is getting caught attempting.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Could they? Sure.

Will they? I don't know.

Maybe.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I guess I voted first. :confused:

Yes.

Will they get caught? I don't think this is their concern at this moment in time.

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

That covers it very nicely and succinctly as far as I'm concerned.:)

BTW: The poll should also have the choice: "Nobody posting here knows with any degree of assurance at all."

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

True, but the preamble should give some cause for concern.

6. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

Keyword in thread title and poll question ......... "Think".

7. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    With all things considered, I do believe it's within the realm of physical possibility that an occurrence of some kind could, in theory, conceivably happen, which would, were it to come to pass, lead up to what may or may not be classified as an event of sorts.

8. Desertrat macrumors newbie

It will be interesting to see whether or not Bandar bin Sultan's goons follow through on his threats to Putin. bin Sultan, aka "Bandar Bush", claims to have conttrol over Chechen terrorists.

9. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

LOL... yeah.

If something major happens, I can all but guarantee you that the person(s) blamed will be patsies.

Governments will use the opportunity (likely manufactured, of course) to further step all over your freedoms to "protect" you.

Yeah yeah yeah- "put on your tin foil hat" and all that crud.

Ya know.. the "crazy" people who have been saying for years the government was listening to your every conversation and email- WERE RIGHT. You called them crazy.

:p

(Not aimed at you, Renzatic!)

10. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

The Russians will have help maintaining security. A lot of help.

I hope it goes smooth, but there are lots of radicals that would love to hit Russia hard during such a high profile event.

It's 50/50 I think.

11. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I won't be going to Sochi:

- I don't have the money
    - The Olympics is a big business I'm not 100% on board with. Maybe 10%.
    - Putin seems to be trying to make this the most homophobic Olympics ever.
    (Very, very strange.)

On the other hand, there was a terrorist incident at Atlanta, 1996. I wasn't there, but, two people died and over 100 injured. (Not unlike the Boston Marathon.) Stuff happens. You can't let it control your life. (Aside: I've been all over the world-- and in my anecdotal opinion, the most danger I have faced has been in the US in the vicinity of armed Americans.)

Bottom line -- I would not let the terrorist threat stop me from going. You can't live your life locked up in your exurban fortress all day armed with an AR-15. You have to get out and live.

12. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

From who? From the articles I've read and news I've watched, it seems Russia is basically handling security on it's own. It's also reported that they are not sharing intelligence.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/0...ly-jihadist-widow-feared-inside-olympic-zone/

14. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

It's an opinion poll. Based on the recent news and the supposed "suspect" Russia is looking for, what do you think will happen?

15. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Publicly that's the official line, but I would bet that the FBI, CIA and and some unnamed LLVI teams will be working with Russian intelligence to ensure the games stay as safe as possible.

16. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I have no idea.

Renzatic said it best...

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Wouldn't surprise me if it happened because Russia seems more concerned about keeping gay people away from the public eye than security.

18. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Looks like they may have caught some suspects

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The north Caucasus has been spiralling slowly out of control for several years; while we, in the west, certainly know a little about Chechnya, the other micro-republcs in the region, such as Dagestan, Ingushetia, North Ossetia, Kabardino-Balkeria, Karachai-Cherkassia are all equally unstable.

Given the location, (Sochi is right beside these micro-republics in an absolutely beautiful region) the Olympics at Sochi will present an almost irresistible target, given, as well, that the everything surrounding the Olympics there can be seen as some sort of vanity project on the part of sports-mad President Putin, and thus, it will hurt him, both personally and professionally, if something such as a terrorist act takes place.

This is why he ordered the release of the members of the group ***** Riot before Christmas, and it is also why Mikhail Khodorkovsky, once the richest man in Russia when he was the CEO of Yukos, was released after Christmas having spent the best part of 10 years behind bars after he was arrested while his private plane was sitting on a runway in Siberia back in 2003. Green activists who had been arrested in the Arctic were also released.

What is happening here, is that President Putin has been clearing the decks, so to speak, of any unnecessary quarrels and disputes he may have had in advance of the Olympics, in order to focus more closely on Sochi and what may happen there.

To be honest, I would be very surprised if the Sochi Olympics pass without incident; while the Olympics themselves could indeed be carried out in a sort of 'lock-down' environment, it will not be possible to police the largest country in the world permanently in this manner for the entire duration. If something of the sort doesn't happen in Sochi, it will, I suspect, more than likely happen in Moscow.

One can argue that 'stringent security measures' will deter those who seek to carry out such measures. No. Not if you are dealing with suicide bombers, who have already made the decision that there is no such thing as too much risk, and, for whom, having already decided to spend their life in such a cause will be determined to make their sacrifice matter, or mean something, which, in turn, will mean that in order to make it count as worthwhile, their motivation will be as to take as many people as possible with them on their journey to the next world.

20. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Well considering they like to blow themselves up too, I guess you can consider that as getting caught. Hopefully they get nabbed before they hurt anyone.

My solution is to make the area where the games are being held gun free and explosive free zones. That way they can't bring any weapons or explosives into the area.

And sometimes you need to make an ammo run. ;)