Do you think an iPhone with more storage capacity will be out by the holiday season?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MK25toLife, Oct 8, 2008.

1. MK25toLife macrumors regular

I've been patiently waiting for the 32GB version, I can't hold out much longer!

2. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

It's long been rumored that Apple is going to release a 32GB version in November. At least, that's what the media is speculating. You'll probably pay $100 more for the 32GB version, but at least you'll have 32GB.

3. BLACK MAC macrumors 6502

No chance! The iPhone uses a single flash chip. 32GB flash chips are still too pricey, even if they were selling it at $399. It wouldn't be very profitable to apple. I say next summer you will see a 32GB iPhone followed shortly by a 64GB iPod Touch. Buy now and enjoy your iPhone. I can bet it's much better then what you currently own. If it isn't better, when why are you looking to purchase an iPhone? ;)

4. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

5. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

For the love of God, this question is asked nearly every day. Do you honestly think people can look into a crystal ball and tell? Trust me, when the time nears, you'll most likely know. All you have to do is watch the front page of this website. This will likely give you a good idea of when upgraded models will be released.

If you want the iPhone, get it and enjoy it. If 32GB is that important to you, then wait until you can buy it. It's really quite simple!

6. MK25toLife thread starter macrumors regular

Lol, you are very emotional right now, that's a female trait Bryan

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No.

8. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

Why not? There are 32 GB iPods touches.

9. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

The 32GB iPod Touches use 2 16GB chips instead of a single 32GB chip, it's cheaper that way. As others have said, 32GB chips are still too expensive right now for Apple to bother.

10. aluren macrumors 65816

i always thought i'll need at lest 64gb before i pull the trigger on an iphone. but with my 16gb, i find myself uploading/replacing music and video files alot, and it's actually not as tedious as i first thought. but anyways, i agree with the rest that cost of the 32gb flash will be a deterent for this upgrade anytime soon.

11. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

Didn't realise that.

12. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

I doubt it because of the cost of a single 32Gb chip, as mentioned above.

Anyways, 16Gb is fine in my iPhone, despite my 100gb+ music library. It's all about smart playlists ;)

13. macaco74 macrumors regular

+1 Amen on the smart playlists!

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Apple doesn't pay the same price that other manufacturer's do for components. If they did, the 16gb iphone would be $1300. I think there's a chance we could see a 32gb iphone at macworld--but I really doubt we'll have to wait until summer to see an update. That would be a full year of no updates to the iphone--Apple never waits that long to update a hot product. Apple displays can languish forever, but no way is Apple gonna give HTC or Android a year to catch up. . .

15. Marx55 macrumors 65816

Thanks! It seems that 16 GB is the way to go now.

16. ZDDP1273 macrumors 6502

I think something new will definitely come out at some point over the holiday season. I only have a 8 GB right now. I wonder if they'll have any plan to allow us to upgrade.

17. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

It eill be out right after the holiday season is my guess. Look for it around 3 weeks after everybody and their brother just bought the old one.

18. tacoshell macrumors regular

Just want to make sure that it has been confirmed that the new thinner iPod touches are using the same double 16gb chip.

I am planning on biting the bullet and going with the 16gb iPhone due to the quote "The Spotlight Turns to Notebooks" on the press release for the October 14th event. That says to me they are done updating the iPod/iPhone till January, but wanted to check on this.

19. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

The iPhone last year got the bump to 16GB in February as a barely mentioned Valentine's Day thing.

So, following that model they won't bump the current iphone to 32GB until late winter, so that they can generate some late sales before spring, when people are likely to wait for the 3rd generation iPhone to materialize.

I had believed we would see Apple break this trend and introduce 32GB to stuff it in RIMM and Google's face, but it's extremely unlikely to happen this late in the game. Pretty much anything that is going to be on holiday shelves has been announced or will be within the next week.

20. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Most likely not until February or March 2009.

21. bmh16 macrumors regular

I don't see a reason why Apple would release it until the next generation iPhone comes out. Why do i say this? As stated on here the chips seem to be pricey still and as 32Gb and 64Gb (as iPod Touch must be one step ahead of iPhone on memory really) are huge step ups and since when have you seen a 64Gb media player before? I haven't, and both products would be extremely pricey. Due to the huge jumps too I would be surprised if Apple wouldn't want this to be put in an event of some sorts to do with iPhone and to put in next gen iPhone would be great for me.

22. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I wish, but it won't happen until AT LEAST MacWorld 09. I'm suspecting it will be announced then, but won't ship until mid February or later.

And, seriously, there is a search feature you know. I've seen and posted on at least ten other threads asking this exact same question.

23. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Wait for version 3 if you're going to wait at all. The current one is a lesser evolution of the original (apart from 3G/GPS). ;)