Do you think Apple can make any big improvements with the iPhone on the next model?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tymaster50, Oct 17, 2012.

1. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

For the last 2 iPhones people said for the 4S "it's just a 4 with Siri"
    for the 5 "it's just a taller 4S"
    So what do you think will be in the next model to stop these kinds of complaints?

2. dave420 macrumors 65816

So the 5 is just a 4 with a taller screen and Siri? I'm sure there will always be people making dumb comments about the new phone. I'm looking forward to getting next year's model.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I'm almost 100% sure the 5S will be the same form factor, slight spec bump, and some new exclusive feature. We won't get a new design until the 6.

While the 5S will look the same, it will definitely be an upgrade. People didn't think the 4S was anything different b.c it looked the same, but the spec bump made a big, big difference.

4. monkor macrumors regular

Can they? Yes.
    Will they? Probably not.

Historically the S models have been a specs bump (5 MP to 8 MP cameras), a new minor-ish feature (like Siri) added and maybe a very slight design change (the 4/4S are almost the same phone, but not quite as the edges slightly differ).

Perhaps they will change the material (to a more durable one) around the edges in hopes of avoiding the scratching complaints. Or maybe they will add NFC like the rest of the gang. Either way, don't expect incredible improvements.

5. richmds macrumors regular

1-2 years out is hard to predict. Lots can happen, who knows facial recognition password, better Siri, carbon fiber shell, quad processors.
    Only Apple execs know right now.

6. gentlefury macrumors 68030

yup, a 4s with a taller screen, 2x the CPU/GPU power, 2x the ram, LTE, Bluetooth 4.0, lighter, thinner, better battery life, better quality screen with higher contrast and saturation....but its exactly the same thing.

7. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

The 4S had Bluetooth 4.0, but yes - it peeves me the same when people say the 5 is just the same as the 4S. Physically they are much different & internally much different.

8. vipJj123 macrumors member

Alot of people think that Apple purposely holds features/design for the next year to make more money. It is called progress and Apple will do what they can do with their available technology and available design/manufacturing processes.

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

If those are the "complaints" then Apple doesn't have to do much. Tightening up QC and features should be their focus at this point.

10. Ntran macrumors member

So what changes that you would you expect to be considered incredible improvements? Like the phone with wings so that it can fly around? Look at other phones in the market, can you tell what are the INCREDIBLE IMPROVEMENT they did on those phones?

11. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If u are bothered by people complaining, u won't survive long on this noisy planet.

But it's really not them, is you isn't it?

Cut to the chase, foreseeable iPhone updates will be incremental. If Apple is doing another 2007 is gonna be for the TV.

Android will be the one coming out with new features, most will be useless but a few will be perfected by Apple in upcoming models. Nothing earth shattering.

12. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

What? I didn't say anything about it being me, learn to stop assuming.

13. Joesmith13245 macrumors regular

1) Get rid of the Aluminum. Here is the issue, Apple has now set a precendence with the weight of this device. Will be hard to move away from this and keep the same price point. For me, I'm willing to sacrifice a few grams. But I'm sure many Apple fans will not agree.

2) More Innovation, Change up the Design(looks more like an iPhone 4 XL). How would I suggest they do that. Don't know, I'll leave that up to the richest company in the world to figure out.

3) Increase the screen size in both directions.

4) Provide multiple Screen size options if folks do not like #3 on my list. If Samsung can do this I would think Apple can as well.

5) NFC. Passook is a stop gap until this is implemented. Let the user decide if they want to use the technology.

If history repeates itself then we are looking at 24 months before a new design is introduced. It will not come with the iPhone 5s. This is far too long to wait. Only time will tell if this will impact the consumer to look elsewhere.

14. Deasnutz macrumors 6502

It's tough to let the user decide if the option isn't even there. Passbook isn't even close to the flexibility of NFC. Completely different use case.

Obviously, Apple could make a larger screen SKU if they wanted, but how many people want a giant phone? 25%? 10%? They found a sweet spot to meet the demands of the majority. Personally, I think they feel a big-assed Apple phone would look stupid in the hands of users and refuse to allow it to exist. ios development is also more streamlined and responsive with fewer devices, a huge factor in such a fast paced market. Likewise, I'm sure Apple would rather sell you an iPad as well, instead of a single device.

15. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I want Apple to make good on the rumour of a LIQUID METAL. The case will be self-healing from small dents and scratches. I believe the technology already exists but maybe too expensive to manufacture. Apple, use your Billions to make it so!

Just so that I don't have to listen to complaints... :D

16. mjpearce023 macrumors 6502

It’s hard to tell a company that an extremely popular product needs to look completely different just because. People liked the 4 and 4s so much I'm sure Apple didn't want a huge shift in looks because of this. People recognize the iPhone and that sells more phones. If they did redesign then they would have to take a chance of scaring off some of their fan base. Some people will not like the redesign and some may love it. The difference is that people will buy the new iPhone even if it doesn't look drastically different from the last phone. People won’t buy the new iPhone just because it looks different, it has to look better. I would love for Apple to take a chance on a new design but would hope they don't ruin a good thing. It appears the safer route is the one Apple will choose because it makes money. The 5S will most likely look like the 5 externally but they have an opportunity with iOS 7 to impress people. If they can improve on iOS while changing the overall look and adding some new features the 5S will sell itself. If iOS 7 looks like iOS 6 then you will see even more people jump ship. That is just my opinion though so who knows. That’s why Apple has people smarter than me doing the market research.

17. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Average users couldn't really care if their phone was themed or not, if it looks the same great you won't have to learn where all the stuff is .Unless you spend the day looking at your homescreen then themes are just a waste of ram.

18. Gunny011 macrumors regular

There might be some new exclusive feature but as far as I'm aware, there's no exclusive feature for the iP5...but I'm sure an exclusive feature for the iP5 will be in IOS 6.x.x

Will probably be called iP5S with the same spec bumps as iP4 to iP4S

19. Brounmoney macrumors 6502

I would say that most of you are wrong. Can you please tell me really what has changed since the 4? Sure it is faster and taller, but really what has changed not the OS. I has the 4 after already having the 3GS, and like I figured just faster and looked better with the new screen. Sure all these things are great, but they really don't change the OS. I sure all of you are going to say don't fix it if it is not broken, but come on.

I have been using android for the past two years. It was truly a new experience with each phone and OS. The last android phone I had as of yesterday was the galaxy nexus. I truly love the phone. I pre order the iPhone and got it yesterday. Well it is crazy fast because it LTE, but really not too much has changed since the 4.

I say all of this to make it clear that no the phones have not taken any big leaps since the first iPhone, but really why would they. The sales keep coming and they want to make old models work with a new OS. This will continue to hold the new iPhones back. If they choose to keep letting 2 or more year old phones run the same OS then we will see just the same OS over and over.

20. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

yes it will be thicker with a glass back and a 3.5 inch screen....oh wait.

21. nfl46 macrumors 603

22. stonyboys macrumors 6502

The iphone 4 was just a 3GS with a new body design and better screen, just like the iphone 5 is. I hate apple and the only reason im getting an iphone 5 is because i want to show off, and the only reason i think the iphone 5 is the best smartphone on the market is to seem smart. And the only reason I browse an iphone forum is because i'm bored. Apple sucks forever.

23. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

lmao

24. PAC88 macrumors 6502

Apple should adopt nuclear battery technology. That way, you won't ever have to charge it..

25. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I don't think they really need "big improvements" to the hardware.. Apple's hardware is some of the best, if not the best. I can however, think of several upgrades to the OS that would be very useful.