Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I was wondering if you thought, if Steve Jobs really wanted to, he could have made Siri work on the iPhone 4.

I don't know. I don't see why Steve Jobs woulnt have put it on the iPhone 4 if it could have.

Your thoughts?

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I was wondering if you thought, if Steve Jobs really wanted to, he could have made Siri work on the iPhone 4.

I don't know. I don't see why Steve Jobs woulnt have put it on the iPhone 4 if it could have.

Your thoughts?

They wanted you to upgrade for Siri. This is the only reason she isn't on the iPhone 4.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010

Well then I don't see why Steve didn't put it on the iPhone 4?

Why should I have to pay another $200 for a feature I could have had on my iPhone 4 which I paid $200 for?

:(

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene

Why should I have to pay another $200 for a feature I could have had on my iPhone 4 which I paid $200 for?

Because Apple's goal is to make a much money as possible. This means that they withhold desired features to force you to shell out more $$$ if you want it bad enough. It works pretty well.

IcyStorm

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2010
1. Selling point for 4S.
2. Given some of the issues regarding server outages, it's probably better this way until Apple gets it reliable.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010

mobilehaathi said:

Because Apple's goal is to make a much money as possible. This means that they withhold desired features to force you to shell out more $$$ if you want it bad enough. It works pretty well.

That's really not a nice thing to do.

I think if Steve is ABLE to put the latest & greatest on my phone he should not with hold it for more money.

I can understand if the iPhone 4 doesn't have the technology but it seems like greed

Apple dissapoints me now :( :( :(

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area

I think if Steve is ABLE to put the latest & greatest on my phone he should not with hold it for more money.

I can understand if the iPhone 4 doesn't have the technology but it seems like greed

Then buy something else other then Apple

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010

Ya, I think we all need to teach Apple that it's not the right thing to do. If we all stayed away then they would start doing the right thing. Good idea!

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
The servers that Siri is run off of can barely keep up with all the 4S users. There's (currently) no way they'd be able to handle the load if they were to open it up to iPhone 3GS & 4 and iPad users.

By limiting it to the 4S, they can make sure they have room in the servers for Siri to work.

amazingdm

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
Honestly there is nothing that impressive about siri... people forget the iphone has already had voice control for a long while. People have already put siri on the iphone 4. But honestly not a big deal.

julianbdavis

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
CA
What do you guys think about the idea that Siri will come to the iPhone 4 and iPad (2) once it comes out of beta testing? I think they want a smaller test bed while they work out the kinks and once they think it's solid it'll get put on all their devices. They have trouble keeping the servers running all the time just supporting iPhone 4S users, it could be they are working at scaling their capacity before letting everyone else play with it.

ac921ol

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
I agree, I think Siri will end up coming to the Iphone4 not just the 4s, its a smaller test field.

You could have gotten siri on the ip4 on the app store, people have purchased it, but once the iph4s came out, Siri stopped working on the iph4.

so its not like it doesnt work on the 4, it use to be on the 4, people just didnt really pay attention to it, Siri was relelased from a 3rd party to the app store, once apple saw it and followed it and saw what it could become, they purchased the company and brought them to apple after that move Siri no longer worked on the iph4.

cjbryce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
London
I agree, I think Siri will end up coming to the Iphone4 not just the 4s, its a smaller test field.

You could have gotten siri on the ip4 on the app store, people have purchased it, but once the iph4s came out, Siri stopped working on the iph4.

so its not like it doesnt work on the 4, it use to be on the 4, people just didnt really pay attention to it, Siri was relelased from a 3rd party to the app store, once apple saw it and followed it and saw what it could become, they purchased the company and brought them to apple after that move Siri no longer worked on the iph4.

Agreed. The current incarnation of Siri is beta. Once it amasses knowledge/has the kinks ironed out/Apple refines the server requirements then I suspect Apple will release it to iPhone 4, iPad 2 and possibly even Mac. If I ran Apple, then to be able to state that Siri's "AI" was available on all products would be a massive PR coup.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I don't think we'll see it on the iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 is probably still gonna be sold for the next 1-2 years so they will still need the 4S to have an edge over it, otherwise there's no point in selling two almost identical phones.

Most Siri processing is done on Apple's servers, so it's not really a technical issue. Anything with a microphone with internet capabilities to send the recorded audio to Apple's server should theoretically work.

The iPhone 4 would probably have it if the 4S had a better exclusive new feature, that truly relies on updated hardware.

Unfortunately that's not the case, and I feel like owners of both phone are getting a little screwed (4S owners only have Siri as a new feature and 4 owners can't get Siri).

The fact that Siri has not been announced on iPad 2 yet make me fear that it will be an exclusive feature for the next iPad. If that's the case that may mean the next iPad could have very few updates and Siri would be a significant feature. I hope they don't pull out a iPad 2S with same case and screen, faster chip and Siri.

Baggy Spandex

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2009
It probably runs fine on the 4 and 3GS. But it's Apples software and it's their right to put it on whichever device(s) they damn well please, and I support them for it.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
I don't think we'll see it on the iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 is probably still gonna be sold for the next 1-2 years so they will still need the 4S to have an edge over it, otherwise there's no point in selling two almost identical phones.

Most Siri processing is done on Apple's servers, so it's not really a technical issue. Anything with a microphone with internet capabilities to send the recorded audio to Apple's server should theoretically work.

The iPhone 4 would probably have it if the 4S had a better exclusive new feature, that truly relies on updated hardware.

Unfortunately that's not the case, and I feel like owners of both phone are getting a little screwed (4S owners only have Siri as a new feature and 4 owners can't get Siri).

The fact that Siri has not been announced on iPad 2 yet make me fear that it will be an exclusive feature for the next iPad. If that's the case that may mean the next iPad could have very few updates and Siri would be a significant feature. I hope they don't pull out a iPad 2S with same case and screen, faster chip and Siri.

well there are significant differences between the two...4S has 8MP camera, faster processor and a dual core

JDee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Ireland
Most of you are missing the point - one of the unique selling points of the iPhone 4S is the Siri feature.

If Apple were to release this to other iPhone 4 customers, this would be misleading an unfair on the consumers of the iPhone 4S when Apple stated that it'd only be able for these devices.

It would not be smart for Apple to do this and they definitely won't. If Siri was available for the iPhone 4, this would cause the sales of the 4S to decline.

It's nothing to do with whether it works with the previous hardware - it's do to with the sales of their products.

dawiyo

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2009
Alexandria, VA

Steve is dead. And it's not greed, it's business.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
It may be. But imagine if you were in Apple's shoes or any company for that matter. We buy out a small company, integrate it in our newest product, and then release the product to the market. Why would we want to give that away for free?

I'm not making a judgement on whether it is right or wrong (or implying I would do it one way or another). As I told the OP above, this is Apple's way to get people to shell out more money. I accept this as fact.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.