Do you think Apple is 'arrogant' enough to release a 3.5" new iPhone this year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saintforlife, Apr 8, 2012.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

I know Apple doesn't believe in market research or what people on general think what their products need to be like. But I think the overwhelming majority of iPhone users want a bigger screen for the next iPhone. Now Apple would be really arrogant in ignoring all these people and to continue thinking they know what is best for their users in terms of how big a phone needs to be. If they release another 3.5 incher, it could be their first misstep in a long time which could even lead to them losing some of their market share to their competitors. I sincerely hope they are humble enough to listen to their customers who actually buy their products and make them the success they are.

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

What do you base this statement on? Forums like these? Because forums like these are where the power users and enthusiasts reside. I would say that sales numbers don't indicate, at all, that people are wanting a bigger screen. That said, I am all about a bigger screen, but I don't think there is any tangible evidence, at least none that has been presented to me, that would suggest that the majority of iPhone users demand a larger screen.

3. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

4. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

You act if the iPhone is the only phone on the market. If you'd like a bigger phone there are plenty to choose from. I'd like to know where you got that there is an overwhelming majority that wants a bigger iPhone.

5. ap3604, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2012

ap3604 macrumors 68000

Exactly.

Quit assuming you know what the majority wants OP, you don't.

The 3.5' design is crushing the competition of bigger screen phones... logically this gives Apple less incentive to release a larger screen phone (yet) and to save that "big" upgrade for when the iPhone sales start finally slacking.

6. Shrink, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I'm not sure forums like this one represents the feelings of normal people in almost any area! :rolleyes::D

Attached Files:

7. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

First...we need a definition of normal! :D

8. Zcott macrumors 68020

9. socalif macrumors newbie

would love to see a bigger screen I was using Motoroal RAZR for a bit to test an App and coming back to iPhone made it look pretty small (although resolution is muuuch better)

10. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

Apple is so arrogant, they're gonna re-release this phone with a glowing Apple logo on the back and stage a U2/Black Eyed Peas/Kelly Clarkson/Neil Diamond concert in Dubai to announce it.

Attached Files:

11. saintforlife thread starter macrumors 6502a

Almost all polls on this forum indicate people want a larger phone. A majority of the people and friends that I've spoken to want a larger screen. I know it is all anecdotal, but that doesn't make it not true. It is also true that once people switch to larger screens, they can never go back even of it means putting up with Android and its less than stellar user experience.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Eh, I am not sure there is necessarily evidence of this either, to be fair.

13. Sunsean macrumors 6502

No it isn't. This is the perfect example of how you can't say with ANY certainty what others want or do.

I switched from a 4.5" galaxy s2 to the iphone. Absolutely ZERO issues with the 3.5" screen, and strongly prefer my current iphone experience to Android on a larger screen.

14. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

you need to take a look at how many people here say they don't want a bigger phone.
    One it may make them feel better by saying that as not to play into androids larger screens.
    Two - see my signature.

A 4 inch screeen is a world of a difference. if apples decides to keep the 3.5 inch screen in efforts to maximize their profits, I don't think I will wait another year to see if the iphone will have a larger screen.

There are many challenges they will have to overcome, larger screen, larger battery and weight. Between the two battery hogs, LTE and the retina display, they have their work cut out for them.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I dig it. :cool:

16. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

I went from a 4.5 inch screen to an iPhone 4s. Took a few days to adjust but I decided I would much rather have a smaller screen with a much better build, display, processor and OS

17. Mikekan macrumors regular

I've had all iPhones and if they don't make the next one with a bigger screen I am off to the competition...but that's just me...

18. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

I definitely think Apple is that 'arrogant' (if you'd like to call it like that) that they are not going to bring huge improvements. My telecom plan/contract expires this summer and I'll see what Apple has to offer by than and what either HTC or Samsung has to offer by than.

I hope Apple releases a new iPhone in June but I think they are staying with the October cycle.

As much as I love iOS, if Apple doesn't offer enough this year I'll definitely switch (and sure, maybe I'll come back after that, but currently Android offers the same apps and you can basically do the same things - you're only wearing a different coat).

19. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

There have been more than a few polls in this forum with the majority wanting a larger screen. I would not mind them maximizing the real estate on the current iPhone as they could amd the screen bigger. Apple WILL loose some customers if they do not.

And I know some of you die hard Apple fans like the iPhone the way it is but Apple needs new customers, too, and unless you buy two or three, let Apple try to appeal to some of it new customers while hopefully not pissing off the old fan boys.

20. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Absolutely true. What a lot of people miss (and you might not be one of them) is that a poll on an enthusiast forum is hardly indication of what the entire userbase wants. It's probably a good indication of what the enthusiast userbase wants (makes sense, right), but said userbase is in the minority (this isn't to say that their opinion cannot gel with the majority), simply based on numbers.

21. DeathChill macrumors 68000

John Gruber said this about the iPhone:

I'd take it as him saying that the iPhone won't be getting bigger to accommodate a large screen, so if the iPhone ever gets a bigger screen (which he seems to doubt very much), it will be on roughly the same size form factor.

It's unfortunate that the iPhone won't be getting a larger screen most likely, as I'd really like it. However, not enough to switch away from iOS.

22. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

Do you think Apple is 'arrogant' enough to release a 3.5" new iPhone this year?

Yes

23. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

it really won't matter wether apple does or doesn't release it with a bigger screen. I for one, will not be buying the new iPhone when it comes out because of this. The new android phones are already much better and i am going to get the gs3. it will have androids version of siri a 1080p screen at 4.7inch. and it will have much better battery life and tegra 3.

apple has really beome money hungry and it is very upsetting.

24. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

I hope that Apple has enough sense to keep their phone at 3.5", 640x960. Hopefully they will not succumb to teens clamoring for bigger screens, bigger speakers, bigger balls and bigger whatnot. I hope that the bigger-is-better crowd will somehow realize that a ****ing cellphone can't get bigger every year.

25. saintforlife thread starter macrumors 6502a

Last I checked the iPhone screen size has been 3.5" since 2007....5 frickin years and 5 generations ago! All people are asking for is a 4" screen which would be ideal for most people and offer the best compromise between size and usability.