Do you think Apple jailbreaks their iOS devices to see what tweaks are out there?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by palmerc2, Sep 27, 2012.

1. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

Because it almost seems to me that Apple implements things in the core iOS operating system, that have already been tweaks available in Cydia. So while they want to crack down on it, and are trying a lot of differen things to stop it, something's telling me they stand to lose the most because they might not get highlighted features in their iOS highlights. Example: notification center, per email account signatures, copy / paste, video recording, etc etc.

By the way I'm not a troll, I love my iPhone 5 and iOS6. Just wanting to have a civil conversation about this, that's all.

Thoughts?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I've no doubt that in their labs, there are some employees whose focus is to see what third-party tweaks are available and test them, including jailbreak ones. Apple keeps a close eye on the market, including the unauthorized stuff.

jW

3. spades1412 macrumors 6502

Theres no doubt in my mind that Apple keeps a close eye on what the JB community is up to. Theres a reason the most popular JB tweaks eventually make their way into iOS. (Notifications, Multitasking)

4. GoldenJoe macrumors 6502

5. MarqueeK macrumors member

I'm pretty sure some 3rd party jailbreak apps are being bought up by Apple for a handsome fee and a non-disclosure agreement.
    If not, what's to keep these 3rd party apps from suing Apple?

6. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I thought this until they stopped introducing anything worth a damn.

7. zippyzoom macrumors member

Yes, I agree that Apple keeps an eagle's eye on the macro and micro development of the illicit world -ie cydia to gauge ideas worth pursuing.

It may seem that not many innovations (a common complaint) are coming at a fast enough pace out of Infinity Loop, but the fact remains that Apple is historically (besides their recent blunder with Maps) very risk averse and, in my mind, would like to thoroughly test the viability of launching new features, applications, innovations.

8. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

If they do, they must have never installed LockInfo or SBSettings. Those are the last two major jailbreak tweaks that should already be part of the OS.

9. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

i'm sure phil schiller's iPhone is jailbroken

10. oBMTo macrumors 6502

Thoughts? No need to wait for someone to jailbreak and steal ideas from. All they have to do is pick up any Android device. :apple:

11. ernbrdn macrumors newbie

What's to keep small developers from suing Apple? Ummm I'll see your $100 billion and healthy patent portfolio, and raise you wreck less abandonment and the legal power to apparently sue anyone out of existence. Not just out of buisness but out of existence.

12. Splazzatch macrumors member

Splazzatch

Actually I think that Apple secretly encourages the underground. Especially since Steve Jobs' passing. Think about it. If people are still buying the phones then they are still making money. So visibly they hate Cydia and the like but secretly they love people are buying their stuff.

13. MarqueeK macrumors member

Agreed. If Apple really disapproves of Jailbreaking they'd spend more time cracking down on it both technically and legally.
    They would lock the door to make it appear they are discouraging it but they will always "drop" the key near it so that someone can find it eventually.
    The Jailbreak scene is a perfect breeding place for new ideas and even potential employees.

14. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

Absolutely, they hired the guy who made the original jailbreak application that was just like notification center, to make notification center itself which is now in iOS. The jailbreaking community is a super easy way to see what kinds of programs and functionality people actually like, since it's essentially an app store of it's own. And I doubt they actually "jailbreak" their phones, I'm sure they have internal admin/debugging tools that allows them to run unsigned code without having to utilize holes in their own iOS code.

15. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I disagree. Cydia apps/tweaks might not hurt their business but people using Installous through Cydia definitely does so why give people the opportunity to download cracked apps. Also, with every jailbreak and new hardware, it's becoming harder and taking longer for the developers to release a tool to jailbreak iOS devices so that must mean Apple is trying to stop people but the developers keep working hard to find a way.

I am all for jailbreaking by the way.

I prefer IntelliScreenX :p

16. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

There is nothing legally that Apple can do to stop jail breaking. An exception was made by the Library of Congress, to the DCMA to allow (legalize) the jailbreaking of cell phones.

17. ggmissmolly macrumors regular

I'm sure they keep up with innovative possibilities but it's just not realistic to suggest that all good ideas originate from amateur inventors. That's seldom the case, but it does happen.

Most Apple creativity is Apple based. They see a possible idea and refine it for their own use. Let's face it, some jail broken ideas represent the wants of the customer set. That does not necessarily mean such ideas are properly or efficiently implemented.

18. palmerc2 thread starter macrumors 65816

palmerc2

Completely agree. SBSettings and LockInfo are incredible. Both are definitely in the top 5 category of tweaks available.

19. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I'm sure they JB their phones. Them develop a serious case of cryptonesia before they release the next iOS.

20. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

Same here, im pretty sure that whe soon will see something the likes of lockinfo from apple, sbsettings will be pretty awesome but they seem to still want to keep things to minimal on iOS not sure they are ready for that.

21. HouD macrumors member

And let's not forget biteSMS.

Features akin to Lockinfo + biteSMS + SBSettings need to be incorporated into iOS 7 lest Apple fall further behind with their OS. Other jailbreak tweaks would be nice, but these are core features that need to be introduced into iOS.

22. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

Bitesms is like a default :D