do you think apple will ever offer fixes for the scuffs on the black iphone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jigmeister, Oct 5, 2012.

1. jigmeister macrumors member

Just wondering if anyone thinks apple will offer some sort of free re anodising is it called? on the black iphone.

Or whether there will be another way of fixing it at are own expense. I was thinking of using a black marker or something to cover the tiny scratches...but thought on an thought thats probably a really bad idea

what ya think?

2. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

nothing will be done about it. mine still is scuff free

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, they will give you one of these for free:
    [​IMG]

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

There's already a fix. It involves swapping out your defective anodizing coated iPhone (if the black is rubbing off prematurely just from regular wiping or handling) for a normal one.

Otherwise, there's no fix for scuffing as a result of normal wear and tear on the anodized coating, just as there's no fix for scratches on the glass through normal wear and tear.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Everything will enentually scratch.
    Even diamonds that are some of the hardest natural material on earth will scratch.

6. richmds macrumors regular

The black will continue to wear. Alternatively, you could buff off all the black and have a silver phone.

7. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

I would love to see what a chromed iphone 5 would look like. mmmmm....

8. jigmeister thread starter macrumors member

Im really considering a using a pen..i think that would be the answer for tiny scuffs.. to make them stand out a little less at least

9. jedi74 macrumors regular

lmfao :D

10. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I doubt they will do anything since it would cost too much to recall this many phones, and if they do anything at all, I think it will be a solution like the bumper case they offered for the 4/4s. They aren't going to reanodize your phone.

Their statement that this is "normal" should provide a guide for where they are headed.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Their statement only applies to non-defective iPhone 5, whose normal anodizing coating will scratch and wear down in the long run. It certainly doesn't apply to the smaller batch (which the factory workers so nicely allowed to slip past QC) with defective anodizing coating that rubs off like crazy in a couple weeks.

12. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

According to who? As far as I am aware, they have only issued one statement which applies to the scuffing/scratching issue, and did not differentiate between two types of damage.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Let's be realistic here. Do you think Schiller thought the customer was asking about defective anodizing coating so he responded "Yes, defective anodizing coating is normal so get used to it"? It's the same answer they gave to anyone who complained about scuffing on the metal back of the original iPhone.

14. norwegian wood macrumors regular

The fix is deal with it. There are People who don't bother to eat healthy or floss their teeth and have unprotected sex worried about a scuff on a phone. Lets go back a few years when every phone had a plastic back and we just tossed it on the table and didn't care.

Apple tried to give it a little more style and class and gave themselves grief.
    I don't care what it looks like as long as it does what I need it to.

15. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

No, nor do I expect Apple to do as such. It's relative to everything else.

16. EW800 macrumors 6502

Apple says that they are not defects, they are features! :D

17. richpuer macrumors 6502

With my otter box commuter I can't even see the edges anymore. No scuffs . Out of sight and out of mind

18. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Who says there is a defect in the anodized coating? I think you are assuming way too much here.

And yes, that is precisely what he did. He basically said: "We are not admitting to any design or manufacturing defects. Aluminum scratches, and that is normal wear and tear."

I have a black ipod nano from years ago. It has precisely the same "problem" as the iphone 5. The black scratches off at the edges and shows the aluminum underneath.

It's a defect in that Apple didn't use enough black coating, or the process they use does not yield a more durable product. But they are not admitting to any fault.

My local Apple store was pretty understanding though. I had a white one and they took it back after I talked to them persuasively for a while.

19. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

That's pretty rude to accuse the Foxconn workers of malice when they earn so little and work so much that they essentially slaves if they were in a Western country.

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's a reasonable assumption if the black on some iP5 is rubbing off like crazy with normal wiping/handling in an extremely short period of time whereas other iPhone 5 (like mine) look as good as on day one. The latter argues against not using enough black coating across the board.

You mean like Jobs's "You're holding it wrong" comment?

They don't earn so little. $2 per hour over there is not $2 around here.

21. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

Relative to us, they do earn a pittance. And you don't see Foxconn workers living in their own McMansions like many of us, do you? They don't earn anywhere near what Westerners earn for the same work. They don't have anywhere the same buying power. Before you hark on them, think of how much harder and longer they work than you for way less money.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yet, they all line up wanting a job there.
    Its a whole different colture and cant compare US to China way of life and workforce that easy.
    Not every place in the world is the same when it comes to cost of living, work, money, economy, opportunities etc...
    For them its a decent and honest living. They make plenty to support themselves and their family. Its not slavery.

23. FieldingMellish Suspended

I can't get past the fact that I own anodized aluminum flashlights that bang about in a toolkit and are none the worse for wear. And Apple furnishes a phone that is either worn from the start, or soon wears, and people say that it is expected.