Do you think Apple will have adequate "in stores" stock of the iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dadoftwogirls, Mar 7, 2011.

1. dadoftwogirls macrumors 6502

dadoftwogirls

I think (or I should say I hope) that Apple is better prepared for the iPad 2 release. That isn't to say the original went poorly. I just hope they'll be better prepared for the in store damand considering their projections for it's first quarter sales. Last time, I ordered it online and got it the same day they were in stores. It appears that won't be the case for online orders this go around. As such, I think I am going to try the Wal-mart, Target, Best-Buy route and see if I can get lucky so I have it for the weekend. Being on the east coast, worse case scenario is they sell out and I go home and order online mid-afternoon PST. I wish their was some good projections on what to expect in the stores. Good luck to all.

2. tomandshell macrumors regular

Worst case scenario would be your going home empty handed and finding that they are all sold out online.

3. dadoftwogirls thread starter macrumors 6502

dadoftwogirls

I don't remember it selling out online for a couple days before the delivery date got pushed back. Maybe I'm getting old? Also, I guess I am gambling that on the first go around, they were a little more reserved with supply since they didn't know how well it would do, whereas this time they'll be better stocked.

4. urkel macrumors 68030

Yes. I dont think people will be as eager to get it on day one as they would a new iPhone. But thats an unpopular opinion.

5. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

So how many do you think an Apple store will get? 1000 a store? There are 18 models. Sure they won't get an equal amount of each but I still think the issue will not be if they have "any," because they will. The question is will they still have the one YOU want.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It is hard to say what the stock levels will be. If you are concerned they may run out then order online.

7. St. Germain macrumors 6502

The biggest issue for me is that I know exactly which model I want to purchase. I'd be surprised if they sold out of all models but I'd be equally surprised if they had all of the models available by the time I got there.

8. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Yes. I think they learned from last year. There should be plenty. That's my guess

9. dadoftwogirls thread starter macrumors 6502

dadoftwogirls

True. If I knew that I'd get it same day as stores, I would not hesitate to order online. I am the unpatient type A personality so my desire is to get one Friday. I am hoping that the 64 with 3G won't be flying out the door.

10. meder87 macrumors regular

You could probably stroll right in at 5pm and get it no problem. They may not have a ton but that is the most expensive model. The 16gb WIFI and 3G will go first. 32GB WIFI will also go. However, 32GB 3G there will be some left over. A few 64GB will be bought up and maybe 1 64GB 3G will get bought. The more expensive you go the better your chances. I'm getting the 64GB WIFI and I am not worried at all.

11. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Apple now has almost a year's worth of sales data, plus the recent sales trends, to have an excellent sense of the sales mix among the various memory and radio configurations to stock (though the Verizon/ATT and black/white thing now potentially throws that data off a touch).

I would be surprised to hear that any store sells out of any model, with the possible exception of the $499 model. And I am of the view that Apple will sell >50 million in the 12 months after this Friday :) so that's saying a lot.

I also wonder how BB, Walmart, etc. will fare with stock. I generally hate those stores but my guess is that they'll get enough that you'll be able to walk in and out without issue on friday and buy whichever model you want. The Apple store experience can be fun, but exhausting...

12. hismikeness macrumors regular

I get my yearly bonus check on March 15th (the Tuesday after launch) and plan to buy a 32gb white wifi only. I am hoping that Best Buy has one still, and if not, I will try the Apple Store (Best Buy is closer by about 40 miles).

I am not, however, holding my breath and am anticipating ordering online and waiting for the shipment.