Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
To Phone? I mean it would make sense, it seems like the Watch is the first step in Apple starting to phase out the "i", which is starting to seem a bit 1998. Or perhaps TV was the first step. TV, Watch, Pay, Phone, Pad. The iMac could simply be called the Mac. The rest of the Mac line up wouldn't need any name changes. The iPod could keep it's name until they completely drop it from the product line. I'm thinking that this is something they might do after the iPhone 6S, so in 2016. You guys think this could be in the cards?

Last edited:

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
I just think they will call it iphone at one point (rather than iphone 6, 7 etc)

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
I think it's absolutely a possibility. On a related note, Apple also seems to be doing a bit of rebranding with the iPhones and Apple Watch. The introduction of a gold colour starting with the 5S, the use of a new bolt typeface for the Apple Watch, and the recent marketing of the Apple Watch as a high fashion product point to Apple attempting to move higher up the market to differentiate itself from its competitors.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
They've already stopped putting the "i" in the name of any new product lines and services.

You conclude that based on the :apple:Watch? They're not calling it iWatch because they likely intend them to be high-end (predicted $999 for the stainless steel model and $4999 for the solid 18K gold) rather than some cute, consumer product.

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
It's possible. Slim, but possible.

It just really depends on how much Tim is willing to put his stamp on the company.

Gincoma

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
Not at all unless Apple files for chapter 11 bankruptcy and restructures their business model and their product lineup, but do you ever see that happening. I think not.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
iPay would sound odd... iTV not so much....

Anyways I see "i" staying for iphone and ipod and ipad. Who wants :apple:pod or :apple:pad?

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
iPhone has a brand is too big and I think it wouldn't be a wise move if they removed the "i"

As for the numbers, I can see them naming it up to when the 10th version of the phone comes out and they name is iPhone X. After that, where they go naming wise is anyones guess.

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
iPhone has a brand is too big and I think it wouldn't be a wise move if they removed the "i"

As for the numbers, I can see them naming it up to when the 10th version of the phone comes out and they name is iPhone X. After that, where they go naming wise is anyones guess.
"iPhone Zuma".

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
... and how much brand equity he's willing to throw away for no specific reason.
Not necessarily throwing away. If Apple is indeed moving towards a trend of prefixing products and services with "Apple" rather than "i", it's certainly a gradual one. The first instance was the Apple TV back in 2007, and now with Apple Pay and the Apple Watch. Clearly the "i" prefix is very well established, and like you said carries equity with it. The products are instantly recognizable.

But in a fast-moving sector like technology, you have to ask yourself when a brand has run its course and is old and worn out in public perception. Among naysayers, Apple and the "i" brand is a joke. Fandroids think that Apple is playing catchup and that anyone who owns at least one Apple product is "sheeple" or "iSheep". While this is clearly not the case, brand image is everything to a company that is as dedicated to design and user experience as Apple is.

Apple sees itself as a trendsetter. We've seen many companies over the past few years go through rebranding campaigns. Microsoft and eBay are key examples of a move towards simpler, more modern looking logotypes characterized by sans-serif and very thin typefaces. You could say Apple pioneered this with Myriad Pro for its product lines (MacBook Pro, PowerBook G4, iPod, et cetera). Now that everyone wants to go with that style, the only way for Apple to go is in the opposite direction, with a big, fat, all-caps typeface for the Apple Watch.

In terms of design philosophy, Apple is very similar to Mercedes-Benz in that respect. A new design element can come out on any product, regardless of where it sits in the pricing spectrum, and this trickles down to other products in the company's lineup (eg. the W201, the lowest priced Mercedes of its day, set the bar for design when the W140, the most expensive Mercedes, came out nine years later).

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
iPay would sound odd... iTV not so much....

Anyways I see "i" staying for iphone and ipod and ipad. Who wants :apple:pod or :apple:pad?

iTV was going to be the name but it's already trademarked in the UK by the main commercial TV broadcaster (and has been for decades) so they went with Apple TV instead

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.