Do you think Apple would gain market share by advertising OS X more?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Collin973, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Collin973 macrumors 6502

I was thinking about this today:

I've never seen apple advertise the actual operating system on tv. I never knew what mac os x looked like till I went on apple's webpage to check it out. I think that if more people saw OS X's capabilities (Expose, Dashboard, Spotlight, etc...), then more people would look at and hopefully purchase apple products. Before I took the time to look at what Mac was, I thought it was an old, out of date, ugly and useless operating system, but when I took the time to look, I realized how outstanding and modern it is. I watched OS X Tiger's tutorial online and I was awed by it and I think most windows users would too.

Do you think apple would grow if they had more advertisments displaying OS X's capabilites? I certainly do.

2. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I agree with you. When people hear of all the iLife, no viruses, etc, they probably think of either a) Windows XP but safer or b) Mac OS 9 or earlier when Macs were used more (I think they were more popular around System 7 & 8?).

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Hmmm... The do advertise it peripherally on the "Mac" ads. Perhaps since they are a hardware company first and foremost, they prefer to advertise only the hardware (as they have always done, IIRC). Maybe because it would create brand-confusion when n00bs attempted to buy OS X for their Gateway at Best Buy and were disheartened that they would have to purchase a whole new computer.

4. akadmon macrumors 68020

The Mac vs. PC adds are getting old. I very much doubt they would have a big impact on the Mac sales even if they appeared with 10 times the current frequency. It's time to invent something new. I'm in favor of a more traditional approach. Keep it simple and to the point, and don't try to raise yourself by stepping on somebody else.

5. metalray@mac.co macrumors member

metalray@mac.co

I agree that some sort of os x commercial would grant a view ideas. I for instance always was impressed by os x not their trinkets. They where good but os x is truly innovative. Maybe they should bring some of the news from the apple.com site to the television. you know like a science group using macs to do their work.
    Film Cut Action :: Final cut pro 2

6. c.joe.go macrumors regular

c.joe.go

market share.

it might confuse a lot of windows users that os x means os 10, not os "x". the fact that the letter X might symbolize a number might be to high brow for the average msft fanboy.

on a more serious note. there is no need to emphasize the scariest point of switching to windows users. having worked with :apple: retailers, i know that they hear a lot of fear from switchers over having to learn a new operating system, even with its many upsides.

focusing on the overall idea of owning apple products is more effective, let the first experience with the os to sell itself.

7. metalray@mac.co macrumors member

metalray@mac.co

How to educate the meaning of os x (ten) I would simply add a voice over the text that would display at the end although that would take away some drama.

8. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

True, but if Apple had no operating system or software they wouldn't have any hardware to sell either.

9. joachim macrumors member

If Apple advertised Expose as a feature on a tv commercial, they would've triple their market share.

10. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

I do however like some of the Online Advertisements.. this one caught my interest! :p

Thought it was funny with the Windows Mobile at the Top! :)

Attached Files:

11. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

I think the current adverts were a good way to remind the public that Apple make computers!
    They're the first adverts shown here that I remember (besides the Intel switch one) since the G5 advert.

Now though I think Apple should move into showing how their OS is better.