Do you think [applepay] will make you spend more money than wallet ????

toomuchbig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
i have a feeling [applepay] will make people spend their money more than wallet ?????

shop , purchased , all kind of on iphone ......

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
It has never been hard to spend money; Applepay will just make it a little easier.

It's really not breaking down a huge barrier, making people buy more because it's so much easier.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Are you referring to "wallet" as Google Wallet? Or are we talking about just a traditional wallet?

The only cases I can see where people spend more money with their phone is if they forget their own wallet. There is nothing about NFC, aside from a slight increase in convenience, that I can see making people feel like spending more money than they would have swiping a card.

its Dale

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2013
LA California
maybe if you're one of those people that post test vids.

people online post vids of them testing out Goole Wallet and order something like fries from fast food..

other than that, no.

fxbeta

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
No. But in the long run, I may end up spending less money buying wallets.

Agent-P

macrumors 68030
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
If you have the slightest bit of self control, no.
This. ApplePay isn't going to make a difference if you're already have self control. If you were already bad with spending then you'll still be bad. (unless you register someone else's fingerprints so you physically cannot use ApplePay)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Any time you make buying something easier certain people will spend more money.

That said I doubt there will be a huge difference except for people wanting to try it out and show it off.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Some people have such low self control that they're known to freeze their credit cards in ice. Those same people will probably just not upload their credit cards to :apple:Pay.

It's really no different than using credit cards.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Nope. I see it as a "Paywave clone" and I don't spend more since getting Paywave. It simply makes things more convenient at the point of purchase, but I certainly don't make more purchases.

myscrnnm

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
I don't think there would be a significant difference. If you were spending more money due to a different form of payment, it would be because of the disconnect between a credit card and actual physical cash. But if you're using Apple Pay, you would already have been using credit cards anyway.

iCore24

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan
Well I know I'm going to go to the competing store that has Pay instead of the other. Especially with all these Credit card beach's happening.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
Well I know I'm going to go to the competing store that has Pay instead of the other. Especially with all these Credit card beach's happening.
Nice one. Let's hope this system doesn't get breached. Another incentive for people to do some hacking and malicious development.

iCore24

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan
Nice one. Let's hope this system doesn't get breached. Another incentive for people to do some hacking and malicious development.
Target gets hacked and since you swipe your digital strip credit card, all the numbers and info are stored on Targets servers.

OR I could use Pay and it sends target a scrambled number that is useless without my iPhone and does not have any info on my credit card :roll eyes:

Their is no way they can hack or decode Apples scrambled number since it doesn't use a mathematical equation or some other mumbo jumbo I read about.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I doubt I will spend more money. I haven't carried cash for years. I will use Apple Pay because it is more secure. It won't be any faster than pulling out my card and swiping. However, we probably will still be taking our credit cards out of our wallets for years, as most small stores and restaurants will not update to the new readers due to the costs. Until the consumers demand more secure systems, there will be little motivation to change. Since consumer protection is very strong in US when it comes to credit card fraud, most people don't care because the banks and businesses swallow the fraudulent charges. Heck, the banks still issue cards with magnetic strips on them. We are still in the 1950s when it comes to credit cards in the US.

ttmrn

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2014
tx
now.. let's see..

i go to my starbucks, i pay for my caramel macchiato with :apple:pay.
i srsly doubt :apple:pay would make me drink more than 1 caramel macchiato.

noteple

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2011
In the long run probably
Tie it into the Health App for financial health.
Do aggregation and reporting on your spending habits like $120 a month on fancy coffee.

ttmrn

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2014
tx
In the long run probably
Tie it into the Health App for financial health.
Do aggregation and reporting on your spending habits like $120 a month on fancy coffee.
wow, i cld see data such as calories, etc being added.

that would be awesomeeeeeee.

GrecoISU

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2011
Any time you are using something other than cash it is proven you will spend more. Using cash actually trips the pain sensors in the brain. A debit card barely does and there is no reaction with a credit card.

I've seen this a multitude of places and it very accurate:

A Dunn & Bradstreet study found that people spend 12-18% more when using credit cards than when using cash. And McDonald's found that the average transaction rose from $4.50 to $7.00 when customers used plastic instead of cash.

Could there be an increase in the amount paid on items? Sure. Will there? No idea but history tells us there has been an increase when the technology changes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.