Do you think [applepay] will make you spend more money than wallet ????

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by toomuchbig, Oct 6, 2014.

1. toomuchbig macrumors newbie

i have a feeling [applepay] will make people spend their money more than wallet ?????

shop , purchased , all kind of on iphone ......

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

It has never been hard to spend money; Applepay will just make it a little easier.

It's really not breaking down a huge barrier, making people buy more because it's so much easier.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Are you referring to "wallet" as Google Wallet? Or are we talking about just a traditional wallet?

The only cases I can see where people spend more money with their phone is if they forget their own wallet. There is nothing about NFC, aside from a slight increase in convenience, that I can see making people feel like spending more money than they would have swiping a card.

4. its Dale macrumors 6502

maybe if you're one of those people that post test vids.

people online post vids of them testing out Goole Wallet and order something like fries from fast food..

other than that, no.

5. fxbeta macrumors member

fxbeta

No. But in the long run, I may end up spending less money buying wallets.

6. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

If you have the slightest bit of self control, no.

7. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

This. ApplePay isn't going to make a difference if you're already have self control. If you were already bad with spending then you'll still be bad. (unless you register someone else's fingerprints so you physically cannot use ApplePay)

8. cynics macrumors G3

Any time you make buying something easier certain people will spend more money.

That said I doubt there will be a huge difference except for people wanting to try it out and show it off.

9. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I don't think so. In fact in the early days it might reduce it since some retailers won't have apple pay

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Some people have such low self control that they're known to freeze their credit cards in ice. Those same people will probably just not upload their credit cards to :apple:Pay.

It's really no different than using credit cards.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Nope. I see it as a "Paywave clone" and I don't spend more since getting Paywave. It simply makes things more convenient at the point of purchase, but I certainly don't make more purchases.

12. myscrnnm macrumors 6502a

myscrnnm

I don't think there would be a significant difference. If you were spending more money due to a different form of payment, it would be because of the disconnect between a credit card and actual physical cash. But if you're using Apple Pay, you would already have been using credit cards anyway.

13. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Heh, that was an amusing response.
    -----

I'm not using Apple Pay for at least six months to make sure it's stable and reliable.

14. iCore24 macrumors 6502

iCore24

Well I know I'm going to go to the competing store that has Pay instead of the other. Especially with all these Credit card beach's happening.

15. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

Nice one. Let's hope this system doesn't get breached. Another incentive for people to do some hacking and malicious development.

16. iCore24 macrumors 6502

iCore24

Target gets hacked and since you swipe your digital strip credit card, all the numbers and info are stored on Targets servers.

OR I could use Pay and it sends target a scrambled number that is useless without my iPhone and does not have any info on my credit card :roll eyes:

Their is no way they can hack or decode Apples scrambled number since it doesn't use a mathematical equation or some other mumbo jumbo I read about.

17. toomuchbig thread starter macrumors newbie

18. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Nope not me but I know it will for some people..

19. wxman2003 Suspended

I doubt I will spend more money. I haven't carried cash for years. I will use Apple Pay because it is more secure. It won't be any faster than pulling out my card and swiping. However, we probably will still be taking our credit cards out of our wallets for years, as most small stores and restaurants will not update to the new readers due to the costs. Until the consumers demand more secure systems, there will be little motivation to change. Since consumer protection is very strong in US when it comes to credit card fraud, most people don't care because the banks and businesses swallow the fraudulent charges. Heck, the banks still issue cards with magnetic strips on them. We are still in the 1950s when it comes to credit cards in the US.

20. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

Larf.

No. How I pay has no impact on how much I spend, except in so far as I don't use credit for anything.

21. ttmrn macrumors regular

now.. let's see..

i go to my starbucks, i pay for my caramel macchiato with :apple:pay.
    i srsly doubt :apple:pay would make me drink more than 1 caramel macchiato.

22. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

In the long run probably
    Tie it into the Health App for financial health.
    Do aggregation and reporting on your spending habits like $120 a month on fancy coffee.

23. ttmrn macrumors regular

wow, i cld see data such as calories, etc being added.

that would be awesomeeeeeee.

24. GrecoISU macrumors member

Any time you are using something other than cash it is proven you will spend more. Using cash actually trips the pain sensors in the brain. A debit card barely does and there is no reaction with a credit card.

I've seen this a multitude of places and it very accurate:

A Dunn & Bradstreet study found that people spend 12-18% more when using credit cards than when using cash. And McDonald's found that the average transaction rose from $4.50 to $7.00 when customers used plastic instead of cash.

Could there be an increase in the amount paid on items? Sure. Will there? No idea but history tells us there has been an increase when the technology changes.

25. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

The worst vacation I ever took was at credit card beach. No swim suits just people wearing this wood barrels with suspenders or pants with their pockets turned out.

Attached Files: