Do you think everyone is capable of rape?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by niuniu, Feb 17, 2012.

1. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I've always believed that everyone fit enough is capable of murder and theft, and many other offenses too. Opportunity and circumstance.

But rape is different I feel, and paedophilia (paedophilia in the case of very young children who do look and act young, not 'jailbaits'). Sexual offenses are committed by a different type of person perhaps - I've had periods in my life where I went without sex for a long time (two years at one point in my mid 20s!). But never did I ever feel desperate enough to force myself on anyone.

What you think, is everyone capable of rape?

(Thought about since I read that military rape thread)

2. h00ligan macrumors 68030

No

There's a specific deviance in these cases that can't be 'necessary' like self defense or theft for preservation.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

No.

Rape is much less about sex than it is other issues in the perpetrator's psyche.

Are rapists "defective", certainly. Can the urges be controlled, possibly.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No, I don't think that everyone is capable of rape.

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I don't even know what you mean by "capable of rape."

Rape is not about sex.

6. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I am guessing he meant that they would commit the act of raping?

And no i don't think so!

7. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

Capable: Having the ability, fitness, or quality necessary to do or achieve a specified thing.

Rape: The crime, committed by a man, of forcing another person to have sexual intercourse with him, esp. by the threat or use of violence.

Now you know.

8. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Don't equate pedophilia with rape, you do not want to go down that road.

I, too, believe we are capable of just about anything, it depends on our mental state and the situations we get into. Rape, for example, is more about control over a weaker person or the act of proving yourself to be the superior, in most cases it has little to do with sexual attraction or satisfaction.

9. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

We're capable of everything, as humans. Capable doesn't mean we do, though.

Planning and executing a sexual violence requires a certain perversion and obsession usually linked to weakness and really a lot of psychological factors.
    That attitude can be developed over time under certain circumstances. With these assumptions, the answer is: yes.

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Capable of rape? No.

Capable of being a dick on the internet? Yes.

11. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

Typically considered types of rape:

Anger rape
    Power rape
    Sadistic rape

I'm capable of all of those states of mind. And I'm capable as a person, given the right conditions to carry them out to the extreme. I would torture someone, or murder them. I don't doubt my ability to do that. I'm sure many of you will have even fantasized about torturing someone or murdering them for whatever reason.

But in none of those states of mind I couldn't imagine sexually assaulting someone without their consent. Many comments say sex isn't a part of it, but sexual gratification is proposed as a factor in some rapes.

If we're all capable of being sadistic, and anger and controlling and of going to extremes - what really separates a person capable of rape and person who isn't capable.

12. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I don't think rape requires force (a sleeping woman can be raped without it) or is restricted to men.

13. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Incidentally, rape is not only committed by men.

14. fox10078 macrumors 6502

fox10078

Are you capable of rape?

Have you ever been with a girl and right as she's about to have sex she stops? Now I mean both of you naked and ready to go.

IMO a person who was a rapist wouldn't be able to control himself this close to sex, he would rape I think. A normal person albeit angry just leaves with blue balls.

15. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I think anyone is cable of anything. Some people are probably more prone to certain behaviors which is why sympathy and understanding is important in even the most heinous situations.

(Not saying I am always understanding/sympathetic, I've been very much involved in several terrible events happening to close friends and I can't say I've been very understanding of their attackers.)

That being said there is a difference between recognizing the need for consequences and being sadistic about it.

What it comes down to in the end is choice, we have the choice to do the right thing or the wrong thing. For some people that choice is more difficult, they've had harsh lives and they may have mental issues.

But from moment to moment all we ever have is a choice.

16. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

I'm sure there's different definitions in different countries. I just know that in the UK a woman can't be legally charged with rape as she doesn't have a penis. (yeah I know, obvious)

The force definition may or may not be a part of it in some countries too. (In the UK it isn't I think - that definition earlier was from a dictionary - just used it to make a sarcy reply, not as the best available definition or what rape is).

So you think rape in some cases (like your example) is just self-control? Probably yeah. I'm sure there are guys who would force the woman in your example, but wouldn't commit rape in any other context such as going out and actively pursuing a woman they didn't know.

17. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

UK law is quite perverse in this respect.

18. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

If you think we aren't all capable of rape, what do you think of this statement?

"Human rape appears not as an aberration but as an alternative gene-promotion strategy that is most likely to be adopted by the 'losers' in the competitive, harem-building struggle."

19. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

That sounds like a hypothesis.

20. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

It is, an evolutionary one at that. So maybe it doesn't matter if we think we're capable or not, maybe some of us, or all of us, are already predisposed to commit rape should we fail to find mates.

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Yes, I think everyone is capable of rape, murder, theft and betrayal. We can all be brutalised. Happens every day, somewhere.

22. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Woman can still get charged with something it just isn't 'rape'. Kinda like the way civil partnerships for homosexuals are very marriage like but they aren't 'marriages'.

23. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I think that evolutionary psychology should be taken with a grain of salt.

----------

Actually this is an interesting point. Anyone can be brutalized to a point of profound psychological distress. The capabilities of a deranged human are disturbing.

24. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Don't be sexist, a woman can and will rape a man.

25. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I agree. Otherwise mentally healthy people can be driven to all sorts of extremities under certain circumstances. I would have to answer the OP's question with a yes.