Do You Think Gamestop Will Survive?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"My Own Private Idaho”
You hear about everything going digital (but not with next gen it looks like - games are too big so will be on UHD discs) and Gamestop store closures (though they do have 6,600 stores worldwide).

The Gamestop I frequent has been awesome throughout the years I've been going there. It is a great place just to quickly sell/trade your stuff for newer items (I take advantage of the specials, PowerUp deals and rewards).

I was able to get a new Xbox One S for the Living Room about 2 years ago for $73 after sales, and my old iPad 2 trade-in.

I was able to trade in my PS4 slim for what I paid for it ($220) during Holiday 2017 to upgrade to a used PS4 Pro for PSVR in the following Spring.

I was able to quickly upgrade and trade in my original Switch to a Rev 2 for $75.

If Gamestop disappears, where can one go?

There's Best Buy, but will they continue to give as much if Gamestop goes away?

There's the independent shops, but they don't sell new systems and most people will take the cash to spend elsewhere, and they stop buying systems when they have too many.

I'm blessed with a Microsoft Store not too far away. Their trades are not really as good as Gamestop but I think last holidays they were throwing in a lot of game downloads and XBL codes to "sweeten the pot"...

What do you think?

Will Gamestop be around next Holiday 2020 when the new systems appear to do all this stuff?

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Interesting you make this thread after I made a comment in the PS5 thread that ‘GameStop is closing left and right’. (Which there was recent announcement of more stores closing about a month back.)

That said: (Long post ahead)

Lets reflect back 15 years ago, GameStop was on fire, they were the ‘go to’ source for any pre-orders, midnight releases, gaming parties, free pizza, etc, They actually made it ‘fun’, Now, they don’t do half of those things anymore, except for the midnight release. So, 15 years ago, there wasn’t hardly any competition like there is now with pre-ordering through Best Buy, target, Amazon trade-in, digital sales, eBay sales have hurt GameStop, everyone is taking a piece of the puzzle away from GameStop. Oh, and their Power Up memberships doesn’t add much value here versus what they charge you for a $15.00 subscription. (But it depends how much you actually shop/spend with GameStop.)

GameStop makes their money primarily through one way, and that’s through resale of used video games, but their prices what they charge for a used game is overly saturated, and the trade-in credit for games is abysmal.

[On a side note:

The type of people they hire at GameStop is pathetic, they seem not have much knowledge at all about games/consoles, it’s basically they just hire whoever that are not very passionate about the gaming industry from my perspective. I’m not saying every store is like that, but I think it’s worth noting with the five in my radius.]

Where I think GameStop will end up, is bankruptcy eventually. There’s just way too much competition that is providing more lucrative offers than GameStop is. As far as digital media is concerned, I think that is going to continue to grow, I still think is a demand for physical media, as you can obtain some money back from the game you want to sell.

Lastly, marketing. I never see GameStop market anything like I used to. I think marketing is a crucial feature to help brick-and-mortar stores put out the word of what they’re trying to advocate, and GameStop does market during Black Friday. But look how Best Buy/target markets latest video game releases where you can pre-order.

GameStop was once king for your go to video game source, they’re not anymore, and it’s very clear why. Even if they make any significant changes moving forward, does that really change things for them or does it just slightly delay the inevitable of what’s coming? It’s a matter of time.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"My Own Private Idaho”
Interesting you make this thread after I made a comment in the PS5 thread that ‘GameStop is closing left and right’. (Which there was recent announcement of more stores closing about a month back.)

[On a side note:

The type of people they hire at GameStop is pathetic, they seem not have much knowledge at all about games/consoles, it’s basically they just hire whoever that are not very passionate about the gaming industry from my perspective. I’m not saying every store is like that, but I think it’s worth noting with the five in my radius.]
I decided it would be best to discuss GamesStop in its own thread rather than pollute the PS5 one...

The 7 in my radius, 1 (closest to me) closed (the Manager was mean to Customers who didn't pre-order, come on I'm there for USED games) and 2 of the others I frequent are awesome - don't know about the rest...

I was just saying for those of us that use their trade-in system, it is good. I don't have to worry about eBay or Craigslist Buyer Scams...

So many online seem so anti-Gamestop, they forget some people actually use their stores. The Independent stores I go to are more retro-games.

EDIT: Just as a note, you mentioned Amazon Trade-Ins. I looked up the OG Switch I had, they would've given me $58 for it. Gamestop gave me $225 (maybe that's why they're not doing well?)

Last edited: