Do you think I can run 10.11 DP1 as my primary OS on my main machine?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by TechGod, Jun 19, 2015.

1. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

I have El Capitan installed on a separate partition right now(30GB) and I only use my laptop for school. Pages, Safari, Opera, Messages, iTunes, Shazam and syncing.

Do you think for that sort of usage that I can just go ahead and install El Capitan on my main partition? If yes, should I start fresh and then install it or "dirty install"?

I of course have Time machine back ups.

2. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Oh and I have Caffeine, Breakaway, Jumpcut and Spectacle running. Although I think with the new split screen feature, Spectacle won't be necessary.

3. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Why do you have Caffeine installed? It's natively worked into OSX.

Anyway, I'm running it just fine on my main machine. Crashes are occasional but expected.

4. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Any specific app crashes or the whole machine in general?I have Caffeine installed so I can quickly toggle between forcing the screen to stay on or not without having to keep on going to the system preferences again and again.

5. Naio macrumors member

Naio

6. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Yeah, it's just in general. Safari mainly for me, but that's because I use it so much.

7. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

8. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Thanks, just gonna wait for this back up to finish and get a couple of other people's opinions.

9. Naio macrumors member

Naio

That's fine. :)

10. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

If you have to ask this question: No.

11. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

That may apply to other things(such as whether or not a person needs more RAM) but I don't think that concept works here.

12. ArmPol macrumors member

I have a rMBP 2015 13" and am using El Capitan on my main partition without problem. I use Office Preview 2016, with a few minor niggles. Everything else works flawlessly, Safari is fast, all native apps are without problem and I have only had one lock-up.

I did not do a clean install, but will when DP 2 is out.

13. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Alrighty, thanks. Installing now.

14. danielceleste macrumors regular

I'm going to play devil's advocate here. I've had DP1 installed on my 2013 rMBP for about a week now, and did a "dirty" install (i.e. an ordinary upgrade). The reason for me installing it was because I was getting sick of the poor performance of Yosemite, and I was hesitant at first because I try to avoid betas if I can because I like things to be reliable.

With El Capitan, the only issue I've encountered so far is that, after upgrading, my iCloud & Apple ID setup were wonky, so I had to sign out and back in again and re-enable things like iMessage and FaceTime. Besides that, though, surprisingly no issues besides Spotify acting up a bit, so I've been using the web player. I think the fact that I don't use many fancy apps may have something to do with it. Even as a beta 1, El Cap feels like what the GM of Yosemite should have been as far as stability and smoothness of the UI go.

For context, here's a picture of what's in my Dock, to illustrate the apps I mostly stick to.

[​IMG]

HOWEVER, if you are a student as you've stated, I would recommend staying away from any beta period if you're using your Mac to take notes or do anything else during class. You need to be sure that Evernote, or whatever you're using, isn't going to crash during that time. I'm a student as well, but am on summer break right now, so that's why I'm being a bit adventurous.

15. leman macrumors 604

DP1 has many annoying bugs and problems, but I found it quite usable as a main OS. Just a bit annoying to work around the incompatibilities. The most serious bug by far is inability to connect to certain WPA2 enterprise networks.

All in all, I don't see much reason to use it at this point except if you are a dev and want to play around with new tech.

16. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Here's a modern version of Caffeine whose icon supports Dark Mode and Retina display:
    https://github.com/newmarcel/KeepingYouAwake

17. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

I am a person who is usually fine with running beta versions, plus I'm hyped for El Capitan.

That said, I had a ton of annoying bugs to the point that I had to revert to Yosemite.

18. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Actually it applies to Beta software more than pretty much anything else.

19. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

I use pages for notes.

20. megalaser macrumors 6502

megalaser

I went back to Yosemite, 10.11 was just too buggy unfortunately, needs a lot more work, I had screen redraw issues (big white blocks), Safari not connecting to some sites without a restart, iTunes not seeing iPhone backups that were there and lots of other things . . . Looking forward to giving it another shot further down the line though . . .

21. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

If you need to access USB devices in Parallels, don't install it yet. Parallels won't connect SD card or USB drive properly yet.

22. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod