do you think i would be able to end my iphone 3g contract due to them lying?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lillybeth, Mar 21, 2009.

1. lillybeth macrumors member

ok i remember before the iphone came out they said we should have 3g by october.. then it was definetly december. then maybe jan or feb. then now its we might have it by may!!

i do not want to end my contract .. i love my iphone. but if im not eligable to upgrade to the new one i want to be able to end it so i can get a new one.

i bought an iphone 3g expecting there to be 3g sometime in the first year after buying it.. its been almost a year and no 3g..

is this possible

2. MrGadget28 macrumors regular

First of all, the only thing officially announced was that there will be a new OS and a "cheaper" iPhone releasing this summer.

I did a lot of research and bought an iPhone last month.

So yeah...I feel sorry for anyone who will wait until summer only to find out that there really isn't a "new" iPhone coming out.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No, he's talking about having 3G data service in his area, not a new iPhone.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you break your contract for service issues, I somehow doubt AT&T (we are talking about AT&T, right, since you started another thread about how LOL it was that the T-Mobile person wanted to sell you T-Mobile service?) will be thrilled about turning around and giving you a new subsidized phone, unless perhaps you move.

What kind of documentation do you have that you were promised 3G coverage in your area?

5. lillybeth thread starter macrumors member

i know but i am pretty sure and when i say pretty sure i mean certain there will be a new iphone comming out.. and im not waiting i already have an iphone

but a new one is comming out.. i will be you ANY money on it.

they annouced 2.0 software then the 3g.. the 2.0 was released with the 3g

they announce 3.0 it will come out and be released with the new iphone

sorryour mad that you just bought an iphone and there is going to be a new one comming .. that sucks

6. lillybeth thread starter macrumors member

i have no documentation.. but its an iphone 3g with NO 3g

and like i said i just wanna be sure that i can get a new iphone when it comes out

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, we can try to help you, but what you "just wanna be sure" really is neither here nor there, is it? Just because the phone says "3G" on it doesn't mean you can take it to some island off the coast of Alaska and expect to get 3G data services.

Look at the AT&T coverage map.

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/

If you click on the View 3G/Mobile Broadband... if your location is not listed, why do you believe that AT&T is lying to you because you don't have 3G services? They never said they would have a carpet of 3G data everywhere in the country, and you bought your iPhone knowing (or you could have known) that it would not get 3G services where you live. If you do live in one of those areas, then that's another story.

8. lillybeth thread starter macrumors member

i under stand i cant take it EVERYWHERE but i was Told by ATT on the phone and in store that there WILL BE 3G in my area latest by December.. and i bought the iphone day 1

9. MrGadget28 macrumors regular

LOL How am I mad? I'm glad I purchased the iPhone 3G now rather than last summer.

And even if a new iPhone releases, it won't be worth it to me because they will have the same software. The only difference might be in the hardware and I highly doubt Apple will go back to the aluminum that decreased reception.

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

You can always try to join up with the other lawsuits over Apple and ATT about 3G.

The biggest problem is that verbal promises given at a store are basically worthless. Most contracts even say so.

11. LinMac macrumors 65816

Nobody knows if a new iPhone is coming out this summer, but look at the pattern they follow. ;)

I'm pretty sure there will be a new iPhone and I'm already putting my money back to buy it.

12. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

Minus the software used to take advantage of the new hardware itself, clearly...
    Anyway, OP, I'm sure it doesn't sound helpful to hear a flurry of "you're SOL", but really, verbal anything from AT&T is absolutely worthless. I remember signing up for my 3G plan and wanted the fewest amount of txt, the clerk said "you're gonna need more if you plan on using AIM". I politely explained that's not how the iPhone works, but he insisted it did. The other 5 customers in the store then learned how exactly worthless the store employees are.

13. iPhAddict macrumors newbie

iPhAddict

the simplest thing to do here is to wait. Just be patient.
    Keep loving your iPhone. :D

14. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

I know this may sound stupid but, out of curiosity did you make sure 3G is enabled on the phone?

15. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

3g is overhyped, using 3g on a phone is like using dial up a few years ago. And I'm paying 30 dollars a month for dial up.

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

One could say the same thing about the original iPhone....

17. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Minus MMS and stereo Bluetooth (and perhaps a few more things), but yes, you're correct.

When multiple revisions get the same software, the hardware is the incentive to upgrade.

18. richg916 macrumors regular

Even their coverage map viewer states:
    Important Information About the Coverage Map

Map may include areas served by unaffiliated carriers, and may depict their licensed area rather than an approximation of their coverage. Actual coverage area may differ substantially from map graphics, and coverage may be affected by such things as terrain, weather, foliage, buildings and other construction, signal strength, customer equipment and other factors. AT&T does not guarantee coverage. Charges will be based on the location of the site receiving and transmitting the call, not the location of the subscriber. Your phone's display does not indicate the rate you will be charged.

Note: Please carefully review the Plan Terms, which explain the limitations of your service. Service is not available at all times in all places.
    ©2008 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved.
    AT&T, AT&T logo and all other marks contained herein are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Those are hardware-based, not software (so says Apple), same thing with 3G, GPS and eventually video.

20. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Video can be done now on both the original and second iPhone.

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, same with MMS. I'm just using Apple's excuse for not including said features.

22. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Most of your points were valid, is all. Apple didn't hide GPS or 3G in the original iPhone. :p

Since MMS and video are possible on the first-gen, we'll get the official Apple functionality on the first-gen with jailbroken versions of 3.0.

Is stereo Bluetooth possible with the hardware, as well? If so, I expect to see that, too.

23. tucker101uk macrumors member

How can you call 2 releases a pattern? Okay, so they bought the original iPhone out first, and then the 3g iPhone with a software update for the original. These 2 events cannot be correlated until there is a 3rd?

Try drawing a straight line graph with only 2 points plotted!?!

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I was replying to MrGadget's assertion that the next-gen iPhone will have exactly the same software, hardware being the only difference. 3G, GPS, MMS and stereo bluetooth are all hardware-based when it comes to the original iPhone, but it can run exactly the same software as iPhone 3G and eventually the next-gen iPhone.

25. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

The release cycle for iPhone is every summer.