Do you think I'll be able to walk into an AT&T store and get a 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by duelingdragons, Jun 12, 2009.

1. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

Assuming I wait until a few days after the release.

Also, if I sell my 3G on Craigslist, all I need to do is reset the phone in iTunes and take my SIM out, right?

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Why don't you order it to be delivered on the 19th? No worrying about availability and you don't have to deal with lines.

3. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm selling my 3G on Craigslist and using the cash to buy the 3GS...

4. joro macrumors 68020

joro

I don’t think the lines this year will be nearly as bad considering that both Apple and AT&T is allowing preordering which, for most, is being shipped to the location of their choice. I do however think you will see lines the first day or so they just won’t be as long as they were for previous launches.

In terms of the sale, from what I understand you are correct. Just wipe the phone which can be done through iTunes or on the phone itself and then remove the SIM.

5. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Mmhmm. Don't have a checking account with a debit card?

6. bjquach macrumors 6502

I thought Apple or AT&T doesn't take cash anymore for iPhones?

7. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

Not with $500 to spare. I don't like keeping cash in my checking acct.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

You'll be able to wait in. I'm positive there will not be a supply problem. I also don't think lines will be too long since most people can pre-order. However, I suspect ATT staff will be slooow plus pre-orders have priority so it may be a slooow process. It may be faster at the Apple Stores since they are more efficient but probably still time consuming.

I would def erase the phone and, yes, you'll need your SIM for your new phone.

9. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

I think people will still be queing down the street at the stores. Supply and demand are never easy to estimate and I doubt apple will supply anywhere near enough to allow for people to walk in on the day of release and pick one up.

Think about every few years when something new comes out, xbox, ps3, wii. You can't tell me that the three companies behind these products have ever been able to meet the demand there was on their release dates.

Do what other people have said and pre-order it if you want to get one guaranteed on the day of release, otherwise just be prepared to wait around. That being said, pre-orders will probably be the majority of sales so you never know.

10. dagomike macrumors 65816

I have a feeling there may be some localized shortages, but generally there will be plenty. Especially by the next weekend when everyone restocks.

11. joro macrumors 68020

joro

Which is how it was with the first two launches – big rush the first week or so and then great supply available. I was actually one of the lucky ones who after standing in line at AT&T all afternoon for the first iPhone and not getting one, I had to drive all the way to Raleigh to the Apple store to get it. I walked in, on launch day, around 8:00 PM, no line.

12. dagomike macrumors 65816

Well, I remember people being turned away on the 2G launch, and I also remember Apple tracking iPhone inventory at stores online for weeks. Maybe the 3G went better, or maybe the clusterfudge of activation overshadowed availability issues, but I wouldn't call the 2G launch plentifully.

I think this will be different just because we've seen signs of Apple ramping up lots of phones, a good pre-order system, and then toss in the crappy economy and the upgrade pricing. A lot of people will get home delivery, and a lot of potential buyer will probably pass.

13. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I am very curious to see what happens next friday. Many may not care as much about the voice features and movies (I do) and many waiting for an iPhone are already getting the regular 3G with the new price.

The line for those without a preorder will have a lot of existing 3G owners who will be surprised by the extra $200. My local AT&T reps expect a lot of yelling. I did my preorder at about noon on the 9th and was told there was a lot of yelling already that morning.

THANK GOD they are releasing 3.0 two days before the new phones so the entire world is not updating at the same moment they are trying to activate new phones. Last year was a nightmare.