Do you think iOS 7 should have new UI sounds and ringtones?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by sero323, Jul 21, 2013.

1. sero323 macrumors regular

Considering the flat design of iOS 7, wouldn't you want apple to take out some of the old ringtones that perhaps matches the older skeuomorphic design and replace them with new ringtones that match the flat design. I know that you can sync ringtones you find online and stuff but I dont think an average user would do have the knowledge to do that. I really think the overall experience would change dramatically for both new and previous iOS device owners. What do you guys think?

2. naveah macrumors regular

I wouldn't say that the ringtones and sounds are particularly associated with the skeumorphic design, but I would like to see a new ringtone and new default sounds—just because the UI is fresh and so should be the sounds.

3. KattDaDon macrumors 6502

I think it should have new sounds and ringtones and get rid of those old crappie sounds

4. recklesslife85 macrumors 6502

recklesslife85

Who says that there won't be? Should think it would be one of the last things they'd add in if they were going to add more or change them.

5. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

I only like 2 of the sounds for text messages, so I wouldn't complain.

6. chraos macrumors member

i definitely feel the old padlock "lock" and "unlock" sounds as well as the typewriter-esqe keyboard click sounds definitely fall under a skeumorphic audio design. i have a feeling they will change these as well as some default ring/text tones in a later stage beta. the keyboard clicks could benefit from a more synthesized "pop" sound and the unlock and lock sounds could use a "digital" sound design make over.

7. liquidsuns macrumors 6502

I really hope so. The sounds are terrible, in my opinion. They sound bad on the Mac, too. If there was one thing I loved about WP8, it was the sound effects. They sounded like water and were super beautiful.

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Most of the iPhone ringtones and text sounds are easily recognizable. Just like the Nokia Ringtone. I don't see Apple removing them but if they do...ok.

9. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

Yes please and also Wallpapers including Live ones !

10. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

the current sounds are skeumorphic sounds. the old phone ringtone sound is a clear example of this.

11. fullauto macrumors 6502a

fullauto

IMO iMessage and mail should stay the same. Don't remove anything, just add new ones - I agree, iOS should have several new tones. I feel they keep fairly cheesy ones and don't often add new ones in order to push people to buy them via iTunes.

12. wickettaker macrumors newbie

Yes! I like the messaging and mail sounds but now that the iPhone is more and more popular, it'd be nice for Apple to refresh the tones which will encourage people to personalize their phone that much more.

13. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

I think Apple will change them. The latch sound when swiping to unlock is SO out of place now. It made sense before as you were moving a latch from one point on the screen to another. That is no longer the case.

14. themazz macrumors newbie

There's one new text tone which I've never seen before called sherwood forest, that's one new sound aha

15. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Actually I believe that is in iOS6 and 5 also. I think thats my mom's iMessage tone for her iPad 1

16. makotoisle macrumors 6502

I'm hoping they add more that reflect ios7 better.

17. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Honestly, the current sounds are old by now. I think we'll see new system sounds and ringtones for the fall release. It would make sense to do new sounds with the completely redesigned OS to add a new layer of differentiation between other handset and older iPhones.

18. Zcott macrumors 68020

Surely the ultimate skeumorphic sound is the camera shutter sound. Hard to know what they'd replace that with.

19. fivedots macrumors 6502a

Yes, and I can't see it not having them.

But we'll continue to have Marimba and Tri-tone for as long as the iPhone exists.

20. ok.Eric macrumors member

I've never been real crazy about the tones, hopefully they'll give them an overhaul.

21. fivedots macrumors 6502a

I wish there were more in the vein of Tri-tone. Sort, simple, an mostly professional. For SMS, Tri-tone and Calypso are essentially the only ones I can even consider.

22. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

The old sounds are definitely skeuomorphic; a latch locks and unlocks the device, a camera shutter snaps pictures, the keyboard buttons pop in and out when you press them (okay, a bit of a stretch). These are only three effects, but they're the most recognizable.

The one thing I don't understand—with something as abstract as sound—how do you come up with versions that don't sound like a real-world object but do signify the action they accommodate?

23. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I think they'll make the sounds lighter (if that makes sense :D) and less focused on what action they accommodate. I wanna say more futuristic ???

24. ok.Eric macrumors member

Exactly, sounding professional.. short and to the point, is more of what we need.

25. DoctorFedora macrumors regular

Clearly what we need is a setting that makes your phone meow every time you type a letter, but with a bunch of different meows recorded in for that because it'd be a terrible idea to just use one.

I mean, think about it. It's the only real option.