Do you think is a new MBP retina coming early 2015?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Apokaliptor, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Apokaliptor macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I am looking into macbook market, because I want to buy one.

In my place, there is one shop with good Christmas promotions (less 100€).

But I was studying abit macbook pro timeline with "Buyer's Guide" help, and seems like the next macbook pro is coming at early 2015, do you think so?

Since there is no urgency to buy my macbook, waiting 4 months would worth for me, but there is no any rumour yet about it, what you think?

Thank you,

Apokaliptor

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It will come after Intel releases Broadwell. That being the case, I don't think early 2015 is in the cards.

3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

4. Apokaliptor thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, so since there is no big urgency, you think is worthy waiting until june/july 2015 for the new model or to get MBRetina now with Christmas promotions?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Back in 2011, I decided to wait for the new MBP models. For me, I had no immediate need for a newer laptop. Little did I realize that apple was going to roll out the retina MBPs.

That being the case, if you can wait, then definitely wait. I'm not sure what type of promotions you're seeing, but I've only seen ones that offer a gift card, instead of an actual price reduction. That's not a real incentive to me, but perhaps for others it is.

6. Apokaliptor thread starter macrumors newbie

You are right, I think I will wait since the next model will be a big update.

The promotion is the following (I live in europe):
    -MBr 13" 8GB RAM/ 128SSD - 1149€ (instead of 1249€).
    -MBr 13" 8GB RAM/256SSD - 1349€ (instead of 1449€).

7. aloshka macrumors 65816

I'm going to go against the grain...

I just got one. It really depends how much you like integration of Apple products. I got one for auto brightness and brightness on the keyboard. My environment changes A LOT throughout the day and I cannot really move anywhere else without being in pitchblack darkness. And the fact that I already have one, and need a second one identical for my Mac Pro. If they do release a 5k, it will be a VERY long time before they do. Might as well enjoy these.

8. Yebubbleman, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014

Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Ever since the switch to Intel (from PowerPC-equipped PowerBook G4s), the MacBook Pro line has been religiously updated every 8-10 months, whether there is a significant processor update from Intel or not. The last update was at the end of July. That pegs the earliest possible launch to be the end of March and the latest possible launch to be the end of May. Last I checked, this also coincided with the last-known launch date for Broadwell.

So, to answer your question, yes, I would wait until that two month period.

9. aloshka macrumors 65816

Broadwell won't support 5k. Skywell will (TB3). Skywell doesn't even have a timeline just yet.

10. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

How is that, at all, relevant to what I posted?

11. aloshka macrumors 65816

Wrong thread, that's how. Sorry, this was supposed to go to buy a TB display right now or wait until 5k Display. Sorry :)

12. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Is there anything to suggest that the next MBP update will be a 5k display or just new CPU's?

I guess I was assuming just new CPU's...

13. aloshka macrumors 65816

I don't the MBP would benefit from a 5k display. At it's current resolution, you cannot distinguish any pixels. At 5k, it will look exactly the same.

14. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Haha…no worries dude, I make mistakes like that all the time. I was just confused.

(See below)

This.

The MacBook Pros wouldn't benefit from that kind of resolution bump at this time. Also the technology to pack that many pixels into a 15" display is a ways off.

15. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian