HomePod Do you think it’s a bad time to buy HomePod?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by felixen, Jun 10, 2018.

1. felixen macrumors 6502a

Any rumors about the HomePod getting an update in the near future? I want to get one, but probably not yet if it’s expected to get updated later in the year.

What do you guys think?

2. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

Just released in January.. I think you’re ok for a bit. I don’t know how long the upgrade cycle will be but I doubt it’s less than a year.

3. bodonnell202 macrumors 6502a

bodonnell202

As the person above said, the shortest update period would be about a year, but I seriously doubt that the Homepod is the type of product that will be updated annually. It will likely be more like the Apple TV, which tends to be updated every 2-3 years (when it makes sense to do so to add new features). I could see a cheaper version (think ~$200 range) with lesser sound credentials (possibly with Beats branding instead of Apple) coming out in the next year though... Not sure if that would interest you though.

4. triptolemus macrumors 6502

triptolemus

Is there a good time to buy HomePod?

5. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

I don't think the HomePod sees any update until late 2019 at the earliest, and likely longer than that. It's Siri that will be changing over time and as long as the current HomePod is capable of being remotely updated I doubt the basic design will change. It is possible that rumors of a cheaper "Beats" branded speaker with Siri could surface this year, but obviously it won't sound as good if that happens.

Now one thing I think *could* happen this fall? No rumors of this at all but I *could* see Apple dropping the price from $349 to $299 to help sell more of them.

6. wolfie macrumors regular

I suspect the HomePod 'brand' will branch out like Sonos. So I dont see a V2 of HomePod for a long long while (really, what could they ad?), but more a mini ecosystem; mini HomePod, portable HomePod, tv sound bar HomePod, waterproof pool party HomePod etc..

7. dagored macrumors 65816

Best Buy was selling them at $299 yesterday.

8. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think the opinions in here make sense. Agreed that it's not a product that will need many hardware upgrades like an iPhone. The only thing I could think of was if they would make a new one that solves the issue with the white rings on appearing on wooden surfaces, but I guess they wouldn't release a 2nd gen just for that. Besides, it sounds like all kinds of speakers have that issue.

9. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Since it isn't released in more than 3 countries so far, I assume it will be a long time before it will be upgraded again. And even then, it is unlikely much would be gained by more speakers or microphones, and Siri can be upgraded over the air, soo..

10. Endorphine88 macrumors regular

Endorphine88

It's still very fresh. Its chip is capable of a lot more than it's currently being used for. I decked out the whole house with HomePods and I don't regret spending all that money at all. Airplay 2 is awesome. I love being able to play the same thing throughout the whole house or move my music to whatever room I want. Stereo-pairing sounds insanely good. Not a bad time to buy at all

11. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

highly doubt homepod will be upgraded each year...