Do you think it would be tacky or lame to get a Steve Jobs quote as a tattoo?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by brinary001, Jul 27, 2016.

1. brinary001 macrumors 6502a

brinary001

It's not that I'm afraid of people liking it or not, I couldn't care less about that. But Steve was loved by many and hated by others. I mean I don't think it would be like getting a Hitler quote tattooed on me or something, but... I don't know. A good friend of mine has a Carl Sagan quote on her forearm and it's beautiful. I would like to put mine maybe on my upper arm or shoulder blade.

Some of the quotes I'm considering are the usual suspects: "Stay hungry, stay foolish", "The ones who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do", and quite possibly my favorite, "Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice."

Any opinions, questions or stories of your own tattoos or those of people you know are more than welcome; nothing is off limits.

2. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

I think you will come to regret it in years to come.
    But then that's my general opinion on most tattoos.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Why do you want to do it? And why a long quote? Why words, at all? If you 'don't know', don't do it.

Why are you asking here, unless you are seeking validation from remembers of a tech forum dedicated to things Apple?

Personally, I'm with @Apple fanboy on this, and I'm not really a fan of tattoos.

However, if you must have a tattoo, have it somewhere discreet, - an ankle, and have a very tiny one.

4. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

If you are not 100% sure, then don't do it. I feel like you are here.

If you are 100% sure, then give it a year and see if you still feel the same way. There's no hurry.

After that point, you've avoided impulsiveness and the optimistic freshness of a brand new idea. If it still sits well with you after a year, then the idea has matured and I think it's okay.

5. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

I have 3 tattoos, all on my upper arms /shoulders. No words, just symbols. But all 3 are very personal to me. The oldest is 12 years old and I don't regret any of them all, even the silly octopus my 11 year old daughter drew.

I would only do it if the quote was honestly very personal to you.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Clearly he knows he is seeking an opinion on a Tech website. There are are stranger threads then this on Macrumors. He was just looking for feedback on any quotes, as he does not care about what others think obviously.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If you want to, then go for it. Personally, I'm not a fan of tattoos but if you are then I have no problem with it.

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I personally favor Jobs. He knew how to get results and did not let the world around him influence his decisions. I like this quote this best.

"Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice."

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, but if he wants to do it, why should he seek someone else's opinions on something so intimate, so potentially sore, and so probably permanent?

I am not clear from the post whether he wants advice on tattoos, or merely on quotes.

To the OP, upper arm or shoulder blade is..........noticeable.

And, why a quote with so many words? This is not a signature on a tech site that you can change just by altering the settings on your profile page. It is a bit more permanent than that, which means that a lot more thought would need to be put into it before risking anything of the sort.

If I were thinking of having something inked permanently anywhere, I would make damned sure I absolutely revered the quote and seriously admired the person who had come up with it.

10. brinary001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

brinary001

Okay so getting some mixed feedback here which is what I wanted. I respect those who say tattoos are not their thing, but to be fair it's not your body. To the point of discretion, like I said I would probably get it somewhere that is hidden sometimes and other times not for a healthy balance. Besides, it's more for me than anyone else. If they see it and ask about it, cool, if not that's fine too because I got it for me more than anyone else. As far as the ink itself, quotes can be something deeply personal and known only by a few, or can be known by many but helped them through a difficult time or persevere through their day-to-day life. Steve's quotes are the latter, but I have a friend who killed himself earlier this summer and wrote a beautiful passage a couple months beforehand about finding peace and happiness. Sadly, he couldn't follow his own words, so I've thought about taking an excerpt from it to use as a way of picking up his torch and continuing the battle for him. At most maybe a few hundred people read those words when he posted them in April, but they were incredibly powerful and even more so now that he is gone.

It's because of Steve Jobs and Apple that I'm pursuing the degree that I am, going into the industry that I am, and have the hobbies and passions that I do. If keeping that fire ignited in me requires a tattoo that reminds of those things, then it seems worth it to me.

As for regretting it, I honestly don't think that I would and here's why - in 5 or 10 years I may find myself working at Google or Microsoft or some other competitor to Apple. I may fall off the Apple bandwagon altogether and become heavily anti-Apple (only use Android and Windows devices, etc.) but it would still all have a dotted line to Steve Jobs. After all, most of the competitors wouldn't exist without Apple! Additionally, I think it would actually be a little humbling to look back years down the road at what I did and remember where I was at that point in my life, why I felt I needed that, etc. Like a way to stay connected to my past, you know?

11. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

I think you should get this Steve Jobs quote as a tattoo:

[​IMG]

You might need more than an arm. ;)

12. brinary001, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2016

brinary001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

brinary001

See my above response
    EDIT: Forgot to add, you do realize that, while tattoos are permanent and static, you can tell the artist to make the words a little smaller to fit them all in, right? Kind of like when you need to do the same thing on a computer ;)
    --- Post Merged, Jul 27, 2016 ---
    Haha it would take up my entire back! Honestly that would be really cool, but also really expensive and painful!

13. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

All your questions have been answered by the thread starter listed below. I think this will clear your ponderances.

14. Scepticalscribe, Jul 27, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Fair enough.

I get that it is your body, - but you invited feedback, and the thing is, tattoos are very polarising. They provoke strong reactions. It is not just that some people dislike them, it is that some people cannot stand them, - for seriously subconscious reasons - which is a different order of dislike.

I have lost count of the number of articles which make the point that if you are going for a job interview, cover up your tattoos, otherwise you won't get the job. Is that prejudice? Yes. Is it irrational prejudice? Yes. But it exists, and it informs decisions.

Furthermore, as a woman, I have to say when I see a heavily tattooed guy, let us simply say that an extra level of 'risk analysis' kicks in when I appraise this individual.

Now, you have explained your admiration for Mr Jobs.

But why words, rather than, say, a tattoo of one of the earth shattering, ground breaking, industry altering inventions? The Lisa computer, or an iPod, or something that Apple actually did?

With words, I can see the attraction behind a tattoo of a few words (Samuel Beckett's 'fail better', or Douglas Adams 'The Meaning of Life: 42') - something that would occasion a smile anytime you would read it - but whole sentences seem to me to be excessive (and perhaps, they may demand much more by way of body space, too).

He asked for opinions; I have given mine.

15. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

A butt cheek would be even more discreet.

16. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Depends on the person!

17. brinary001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

brinary001

Wait wait wait so first you call out irrational prejudices against people with tattoos, then you admit to holding them yourself? I never said I was going after a full sleeve or anything, but even if I was, if a girl was that shallow because I had a small to medium size tattoo somewhere semi-discreet, then that's a girl I want nothing to do with. Same thing goes for a prospective employer. I am aware of the hiring prejudice that exists in the working world, but luckily I am going into a fairly liberal industry that doesn't really care about petty things like that.

18. Scepticalscribe, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

There is no need to be defensive and it is your choice and your body.

However, you did ask for opinions, and I merely made the point that tattoos tend to be very polarising and to provoke strong reactions. Many on this thread have already made the point that tattoos are 'not their thing'.

Good luck to you if this is what you wish to do.

Bear in mind that this is something you are choosing to do, in a cultural context where the perceptions surrounding tattoos can be negative. (Other cultural contexts, such as Maori culture in New Zealand, are very different).

Moreover, from what I saw initially - you seemed to have an large body of text in mind, although you say it can be sized to smaller fonts.

Now, I get that you want to acknowledge the role Mr Jobs had in influencing your career, and that you wish to honour your deceased friend, but what I don't get is why this has to take the form of a tattoo? (And no, you don't need to answer me; but you should ask this of yourself).

19. Jav1er_Parra macrumors newbie

Jav1er_Parra

It´s your body and if the quote is meaningful to you then go ahead, as others said I'm not much in to tattoos but in the end is your skin

20. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Frankly, yes. To me the only thing more tacky would be to get a corporate logo tattoo. If I were to get one, it would be some sort of artistic pattern. But, hey, it's your decision!

21. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Some semi random thoughts:

Location can make a difference, mostly from a professional perspective, if there's any concern, put it in an easily, and conveniently covered spot

[The above being said] As you pointed out, this is very industry specific, there's plenty of options where it's no issue

Generally not a fan of text, I like simple/primitive/abstract, single color designs

If you do go with text, I'd keep it short, and meaningful outside of a specific brand context, the "Stay hungry..." isn't too had, because it's not just Apple, or Steve specific, it's a pretty universal sentiment

22. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Putting someone else's words on my body? Not something I would do.

But if I did...

That person would have to have been dead at least 100 years. Long enough for skeletons to come out of the closet, sealed documents to be unsealed, etc., etc.

23. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

I only vaguely recognise one of those, and I didn't associate it with Jobs.

The second example makes me think of Guinness advertisements, which (in the UK) impressed me for a while but then I grew to expect something impressive, so (to me) they became impressive but predictable.

24. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Just in case Steve turns out the be a closet Nazi or something similar? Worth considering...

25. Relentless Power, Jul 27, 2016

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I don't want to stray away to far from the original post, but you are in the wrong respectfully. First, he was not being defensive and no need to imply he was, your comments would draw the necessary retort he stated to you from anyone.

Second, its clear you have double standards with a person with tattoo's. Literally, re-read what you wrote the first time, its a complete oxy-moron. Because you see a man heavily tattooed creates a risk analysis? Do you have any idea how many Police Officers I work with on and off duty that are heavily tattooed all over? Including female's!!!! A third of MY Police Department has sworn Officer's who we hire with Tattoo's and we do not require them to be covered or are we impartial to hiring the men and women of law enforcement, assuming they are not offensive. It's because of this you feel the need to create an analysis of a person, self impose a trajectory of who they are due to tattoo's and walk on the opposite side the street from, while looking for the panic button on your key fob to quickly walk to your car. I believe its very evident you appear to be the type of individual who watches way to much television and sits in the corner reading her book at the coffee or wine shop, am I wrong here?

In all respect, you trapped yourself in your own words, which ultimately proves nothing to the gentleman who was seeking a mere question, which indeed you attempted to answer, but self imposed judgement rather than contributing to the fact of what he was seeking. Oh, and I do not have a tattoo, as I am not defending myself.

Respectfully, There is no need to reply my post, as I am simply not interested in your response. I stated my piece and moving on.