Do you think it's a good idea buying an extra 3GS to keep in the closet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lovemyipad, May 14, 2010.

1. lovemyipad macrumors member

I have a white iPhone 3G which I love. I really tempted to buy a 3GS just to keep in my closet until my 3G completely dies and cannot be fixed. My reasons are:

1. I don't like the look of the iPhone 4G. It looks archaic in it's design & the 3G/S look much more slick and modern IMO.

2. It'll be running firmware 3.1.3 = jailbreak. Apple might make it impossible with 4.0 - we just don't know yet.

3. Since I really like the 3G/S models so much when my current 3G dies I'll have a 3GS in my closet I can pull out and use.

I just really dislike the way the new iPhone looks, but hey if I fall in love with it later I can always get it but I wouldn't be able to get a 3G S.

What do you think?

2. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

If you have the money. Sure, why not. You could always just re-sell it if you don't need it.

I'm sure 4.0 will be jailbroken though.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

OS 4 will be jailbroken, it's just a matter of time until it is on the 4th Gen device.

Who said that the leaked iPhone design will be the final one? I'm going to advice you to wait and see. If you don't like it, you can always by a 3GS after (within a day or two).

4. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Yes, purchase the 3GS after the phone releases. You'll have plenty to choose from with everyone upgrading and trying to sell their old one. Also will give you a chance to see the new phone in person and maybe you'll change your mind.

5. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

They'll also be cheaper after the release since the market will be flooded with people selling them.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not like Apple will stop making the 3GS even after the next iphone is out.
    You will be able to buy one still.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, this thread confuses me. Why buy something expensive when you don't need it instead of buying it cheaper once you do need it?

Also, I specifically remember the original 3G looking like crud in the original photos and then being happy that the real thing looked much better in person. A lot of Apple products do that. Why should we assume this new phone is any different?

8. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Apparently, it's because of 'looks'. lol

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, no. I think a used 3GS will look the same next month as it does today.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think its an awful waste of money, but its not my money so if you have the funds, and the desire go for it.

11. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

I really don't think he thought it through as well as some people posting here have advised him, and he might realize (hopefully!) that buying one after the new version is released might be smarter.

12. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

No. At least wait until the new one is released and make a more informed decision at that time.

You may save some bucks as well.

13. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Ha, I've got a closet full of old cell phones. :cool:

I'll never use them again. Forget about putting something in the closet in case you want to use it. Buy it when you need it, which may be never. :D

14. kryten3000 macrumors regular

kryten3000

As I am in the same situation as you I have considered doing the same thing. I have decided to wait and see. The phone will likely drop in price once the 4th generation iPhone comes out early in June. If it does you will have saved money and if you do end up likeing the newer one you have not spent money needlessly. :D

15. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

We need a poll for this thread.

1. Great idea, why didn't I think of that?
    2. You wasted two minutes of my life for this?
    3. Stupidest idea ever

I pick 3, although I almost picked 2.

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

But, but, but... it's like a nuclear fallout kinda of thing... you know, I have a spare just in case....

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'm between 2 and 3 too:D

18. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

19. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

I personally am interested in what the phone DOES...not what it looks like.

I had s 3G....3 months later, bought 3GS on launch day...and I'll do the same thing for the 4g. Every upgrade was well worth it to me, speeds is everything on these devices. And now that the phone is sufficiently fast, the most important thing to me is the screen resolution..and it looks like apple has that taken care of on the new phone.

And the new phone looks much nicer than the 3G...sleeker, flat back....no chrome bezel....better in every way IMO.

20. plusonechoi macrumors member

You can do this, but i think its a bad idea to base your decision just on the looks of it from a prototype. My guess you'll probably grow to like it just as many others will.

21. rkswat macrumors regular

Only if apple gives you more freedom. ;)

Epic post..... Poll fixed, I go number 4!

22. Googlyhead macrumors 6502

Wait.

When the 3GS was released, the older hardware 3G was kept as a cheaper alternative; they'll probably do something similar this time round; wait and see. Even if the 3GS does suddenly become EOL, I doubt they'll suddenly run out. All attention will be on the new device, so there will still be some availability.

Either way; Functionality should be something of a concern. Even though the new model won't suddenly make all others obsolete, there will be a slow transition in the apps to those expecting the larger display / faster processor / extra RAM / other features. And web alone always seems to require faster and more memory to navigate the most basic sites!

23. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

Besides, Apple makes a case that makes the prototype look like a 3GS.

I think you can pick it up for about $5K.

But seriously, get the new phone, w/ a front camera, fast CPU, etc., and buy any one of the assorted cases that will be available (probably sooner than usual, because of the leak)

24. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

I plan on keeping my 3GS too, unless there's some super high quality feature I cannot live without the new iPhone I won't be getting it if it looks like the prototype. If it ever dies I'll just go and buy a out of warranty replacement.