Do you think it's possible Retro could re-release Prime 1 and 2 with Wii controls?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by seenew, Aug 31, 2007.

1. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

I was thinking about it today while playing Prime 3, and I figured there's bound to be a number of people who haven't played the first two, who own a Wii, but not a Gamecube. They could probably fit them both on the same disc, even. Sell it for $40 (both included).

I thought they could have the visors mapped to the (-) button, like they are now, and the beams could be mapped to the (+) button. Otherwise, I can't think of any changes they'd have to make, in regards to Prime 3's controls..

If I hadn't just played through both 1 & 2 again, I'd totally snatch this up if they put it out any time soon.

2. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

I thought about that too, but I think Retro would much rather work on new projects.

3. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

seenew

Yeah, but this wouldn't be a major undertaking. IIRC, the Wii and Gamecube run on the same architecture, so the coding shouldn't be hard to manipulate.

4. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I'd buy 'em. The only thing that completely turned me off the original Prime games was the damned control setup.

5. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I don't think there'd be much market considering you can just stick your gamecube disc in the wii and play that. The controls would be nice but I don't think it'd be worth their effort.

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Prime and Prime 2 are more exploration-y, the prime 3 controls seem more built around the wii...

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yeah, I've considered it already too.

They could just repackage the control scheme easily and re-release. If they're really feeling generous maybe a slight graphical upgrade as well (missle smoke trails and bloom lighting).

I'd buy it. The original Metroid Prime is my favorite, I'd call Prime 3 my second favorite.

Prime 2 was too bleak for me to enjoy. Prime 3 is very fun, but there's a lot of action and you have a lot of friends. Granted, people keep dying and making you feel guilty but in Prime 1 you had this feeling of solitude...of being alone on a desolated planet, a planet where the inhabitants knew who you were (the Chozo raised Samus and built her armor) and had hope you would return and protect their legacy...with not a friend in the world.

That feeling of being completely alone and lost in a vast, beautiful, yet ruined world is why I love the first Prime.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

A multipack of Prime 1 and 2 (like that N64 Zelda disc for the Cube) with the slightest of updates for the controller and true 16:9 would be so fantastic. Release that as another budget game and I'd buy instantly.

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

If any game from last gen needs a Wii-make, it's Okami.

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Please don't!

Although they did rework Prime 2 with Wii Controls to show off how Prime 3 would work....but its time to move on. Wii is great, it can change how we control games, but I want new games!!

If anyone wants to play Prime 1 or 2, buy an NGC remote, memory card and pick em up used! The Wii funtions as an NGC.

Plus they said they want a break from Samus to work on new things

11. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

seenew

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I'll probably never play Prime 1 and 2 on GC, I hate the controls so much.

With Wii controls? Sure I would.

13. pcypert macrumors 6502

I have two Gamecube games collecting dust in my case right now. I HATE the controls and controller. I hate dealing with the little discs. I hate having to find a GC memory card...I'd rather have a Wii version. I think it would sell well...but I think they've honestly missed their window for it for the most part. Unless 3 (I'm picking up today) is so amazing it inspires folks to replay the originals like a great movie sequel...the time for releasing backstory was a week ago...

Paul

14. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

The Wii's controls for Prime are excellent, second to none at the moment. The pointing implementation feels as natural as the better FPS games I've played on my comps. :)

I didn't like the first Prime's controls at first and only tolerated them, but because the lock-on feature helped me to avoid the puke that is thumb-aiming for fast action, which is completely inefficient for this sort of thing, I decided to give the game a chance. -- That and my friends were raving about it. -- No strafing also bothered me, but I played it out and was glad, because the game is great.

<]=)

15. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

it is.

16. pcypert macrumors 6502

Well bought it and a microphon-less Boogie yesterday....but since I had friends over all day we played Boogie instead of Prime. Maybe today I'll finally get to play it :)

Paul

17. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

My friend has Boogie, but with the microphone. :p

Playing MP3 is giving me flashbacks of the first one. But it's soooooo much smoooother, because of the controls. Everything is fluent and it visually makes all other Wii games look dated.

<]=)