Do you think it's worth it to get the T-Mobile iPhone 5 if you already have a 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mossme89, Apr 5, 2013.

1. mossme89 macrumors 6502

Debating whether or not to get the T-Mobile iPhone 5. I currently have an unlocked iPhone 5 from AT&T that works on T-Mobile's LTE and their refarmed 1900mhz 3G, but am debating to get the T-Mobile model because it has the AWS bands enabled. It will cost me roughly $150 to "upgrade" which is a lot but I have the money. Just not sure if it's worth it though, especially since T-Mobile is moving towards Band 4 LTE and 1900mhz PCS 3G.

2. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

To be honest, I would wait until the next model. But that's just me.

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

I would get the new model. The refarmed network is still pretty spotty and does not support hspa+42 like the AWS band does.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    If you're using one on Tmobile now getting away from Edge is well worth the switch.
    If you're on AT&T or other carriers then its not worth it.

5. mossme89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Even if I have to pay $150?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, to me it would be worth it to pay $150 to get 3G and HPSA+
    Up to you though.

7. rockitdog macrumors 68020

If your in an Edge area and it would give you the ability to upgrade to the AWS 3G speeds, you better believe it!

8. mossme89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah idk, I mean I feel frustrated buying the same exact phone for $150 more when there's nothing wrong with the one I have. At the same time, maybe the dev team will find a way to enable HSPA+, but I really don't know what I'm going to do. :/

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you that it does suck.
    But you knew before though that you were stuck with Edge when you bought it.
    If you can handle it and you're ok with Edge then use it and upgrade next time on the newer iphone.
    Up to you.

10. Akack macrumors 6502a

Defn worth it since the reframed 1900 3G is very very inconsistent/spotty. I already sold my ATT iphone 5 last week and will be picking up the T Mobile iPhone 5 next Friday.

With the correct HSPA+ bands on the "new T Mobile" you dont have to worry about the reframed 1900 band at all.

Just going by the spotty coverage of the reframed 1900, I'm suspecting the LTE coverage would be very spotty for the first year or two so would be nice to fall back onto the AWS bands.

11. mossme89 thread starter macrumors 6502

How much did you sell it for? I got an offer for $500. Then again mine has some scratches and scuffs.

12. ipaclansite macrumors member

I've been wondering this as well, refarmed 1900 in my area is pretty good, but there is a gap here and there. New York City doesn't seem to have LTE yet, except maybe in the location where they announced it.

I'm wondering if there will be any noticeable improvement if I were to switch over to the official tmobile iPhone. It's a hassle to have to sell my current factory unlocked iPhone 5 online, and then re-buy what is essentially the same phone.

13. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

There's no point in doing all that. Next model is around the corner :)

14. Akack macrumors 6502a

$520. Mint condition with original retail box and all accessories. Actually made $5 in the deal since I bought it for $515 in Dec.

15. Ann P macrumors 68020

If you're planning to stick with the 5 for a while, then yes, but if you're gonna upgrade to the 5S anyway...not worth it.

16. CEmajr macrumors 601

It would be a major improvement in service in terms of data. The 1700mhz band has much more widespread HSPA+ than the 1900mhz and the building penetration is a lot better. The 1700mhz AWS network also has HSPA+42 while they only have HSPA+21 on the 1900mhz band.