Do you think long hair on a guy still makes it harder for them to get a job?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by JoeG4, Aug 3, 2010.

?

Do you think it's harder for a long haired guy to get a job?

1. Yes

32 vote(s)
    71.1%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    28.9%
  1. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I can understand it in the food industry, but if you keep your hair long (and well maintained), do you think that'd stop someone from getting a job at say, Cisco or MS.. or maybe even Apple for looking "unprofessional"? Have we still not come that far, and is this an issue in other countries?

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I fail to see any reason why it would be unacceptable in the food industry. There are plenty of ways to cover the hair.

3. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I never had a problem, and I have gorgeous flowing long red locks.:D

4. CJisohsocool macrumors 6502

Last time I checked you always have to wear a hat or a hair net or both when your working in the food industry (Handling food that is not being a waiter/waitress). And just because you have long hair doesn't mean you look unprofessional, Unless of course your hairs just all messed up and nasty looking lol.

This is a weird topic lol, Ive never really heard anything like this before. At least not in a long time.

5. MotleyPete macrumors regular

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

It really depends on the profession as well as the preconceived notions of the employer but in many circumstances, yes, it probably does make success in certain fields a difficult obstacle to overcome. (figuratively speaking :p) I don't think it's particularly fair because it bears no real relevance to a person's abilities but I think it does make a difference sometimes.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Is that fence comfortable? :p

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Sure! I come here often too.

9. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I'm on the same fence. Depends on the company and the job you're seeking. As long as your resume and skills are up to snuff I don't think you'll have any troubles at any of those companies if you're going into a technical role (engineering, QA, support). If you are instead seeking a "business" sort of role (marketing, finance, HR, or particularly sales), those people tend to be a bit more traditional.

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Melted cheese for instance ;)?

11. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

There are occasions, when having long hair makes no difference to your chances of getting a job whatsoever. Here is one:

Attached Files:

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This would actually aid him getting a job with the the tongue-rock and tongue-paper guys who are looking to form a three piece.

13. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Sir, hereby I post my application.

Attached Files:

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Haha if I wasn't in bed I would definitely post a picture of my tongue with a rock on it :D!

15. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

The great adventures of Stoneman, Scissor Tongue & Paper Girl

Great! I found Paper Girl. We have a threesome!

EDIT: sorry, I meant to say 'three piece'. Oops!

Attached Files:

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

What makes somebody wake up in the morning and say to themselves "I just had a great idea! I'm going to shove a pair of scissors through my tongue today"

17. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

He probably thought that these people looked ridiculous and he wanted to keep his dignity. Also, scissors reflect a more corporate, office-centred identity.

Attached Files:

18. Shivetya macrumors 65816

19. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I just noticed that almost none of these pierced guys have long hair. Here are a few more reasons not to be judgemental about long hair. Also, there is proof that you can have long hair and look corporate.

Edit: it actually took me a while to realise that these pictures were of the same guy. Talking of expressing yourself...

Attached Files:

20. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Place where I worked wouldn't hire a guy because of his long hair, on the grounds of appearances, but hired a girl with hideously long multicoloured dreads with several facial piercings, just because she was a girl, as a female presence was better for the store apparently.

I guess the guy could've taken them to court if he knew that's why he was rejected.

21. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I'm not sure "having long hair" is a protected status.

I'm in engineering, all the guys except for one - a vice president - have short hair. I don't imagine it would look good for an applicant's chances if he interviewed with long hair; it just seems to be the way of the world.

I completely agree that it's possible for a guy to have, and take care of, long hair - but there are going to be people in certain environments who expect a certain image of their employees.

22. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I think Schtumple's point was that not hiring the guy on the basis of his appearance was only an excuse, the real reason being that he was a man. In the end, they hired a long-haired girl (and as it sounds, even with a more questionable appearance).

23. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I interviewed for several summer jobs this year with long hair.

First interview after I cut my hair, I got the job.

Coincidence? Maybe.

I did look like a hippie before I cut my hair, though. I can't help but think that I was judged based on my appearance.

24. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Well no it was more the hypocritical nature of him being rejected, he was rejected because of his appearance, but the girl that was hired looked like something out of a circus, and she was only hired because she was the only girl who applied.

25. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Bears mentioning the OP says his location is the Bay Area and specifically mentions local companies. This is my turf, and I can tell you it won't be a problem. As long as you don't look like you just rolled out of bed to come to the interview (i.e., look like you care whether you get the job), and you aren't interviewing for a face-to-face customer interaction role, your hairdo just doesn't matter.

You're more likely to lose a position for things like not bathing before the interview, but if his skills are strong enough and he is a good enough fit for the role, even the stinky guy might get hired. It's happened. (Hey, wasn't my team. Their call. I would have cared.)

There are minor cultural differences. Microsoft is a little more uptight than Apple. Google requires a certain stick up the rear, but not about appearance. Cisco, I don't know their culture, really, but I know a couple of people who have left to go there.

OP, seriously, if you're staying local, don't sweat the hair. Care more about whether you can answer questions like, "@$!&ing pointers, how do they work?"