Do you think my MBP will overheat if I disable sleep while lid is closed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Star Nuts, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Star Nuts macrumors member

I'd use InsomniaX and would really only be leaving it on so I can stream iTunes without having to always leave the screen open. Just got my first MBP, so I'm use to always letting my iMac run except when sleeping/while at work. I'm hoping to do the same with my MBP. It would be on from about 5pm-11pm Mon-Fri and around 10am - 1am Sat/Sun.

2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

If its a non retina mbp, the majority of heat is dissipated through the base so youll be fine.

3. SlyMac macrumors 6502

I use my MBP in clamshell mode all the time while doing graphic intense work on an external monitor, never had a problem. Apple supports clamshell mode (there is a support page for it as well) and I doubt they would if there were possibilities for overheating.

4. spoonie1972 macrumors 6502a

Yup. I do a fair amount of logic audio stuff while on external monitor/keyboard/mouse. it gets hot (especially the GPU diode readings) - but iirc these will shut themselves down if they think they're running "too" hot?

5. dbdynsty25 macrumors regular

I use mine all day long in clamshell mode at work, and I've never had a problem. 2008 Unibody 13", 2011 Air 11" and now my rMBP 15"...no issues.