Do you think people should marry within their "class"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Hieveryone, May 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hieveryone, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2015

Hieveryone macrumors 68020

This isn't really a question I have an answer to or opinion on.

My colleague and good friend is a fellow Wall Streeter, has a couple mil, earns over 400k a year, and is a handsome looking chap as well.

He told me the other day he's been trying to get in with D-level Hollywood celebrities and would like to marry one (kind of like from The Hills).

His Justification: They're good looking, also millionaires, and he can just keep separate bank accounts. He said he would prefer marrying someone who is also rich and good looking.

EDIT: A girl like Whitney in the pic would be perfect for him. She's beautiful, and it says online she's got a few mil. She recently married but someone like her is what he's looking for.

Attached Files:

2. Happybunny macrumors 68000

You are starting to sound very much like a somebody, that a person would HAVE to be paid to be around, let alone MARRY.

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

4. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Sorry what's 'class'. I'd put most D list celebs like you describe at some sub class below all other classes.

People should marry for love. That's what I did 17 years ago and we're still very happy thanks. I didn't ask to see her bank statement before we got engaged.

5. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

If you're rich then the only reason I can think of why'd you want your wife to also be rich is so that you know they're not marring you for the money. Outside of that... who cares? If you are a millionaire then there isn't really much of a benefit to your partner being one as well -- it won't exactly make you standard of living any higher.

6. b3av3r macrumors regular

b3av3r

If they were worried about someone marrying them just for their money, and this might be a legitimate concern, it really it isn't hard to "hide" the fact you have or earn a lot of money. It would really only become apparent if the person went out of their way to say or show they have money.

I would be more worried about finding someone you are compatible with, share similar interests, morals, family, long term goals, etc. instead of what they earn. It sounds like they are more concerned with their looks and financial standing than anything else which I doubt will produce a healthy, long term marriage.

7. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

8. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

Yeah that's true, if you lived modestly it would overcome that hurdle. Somehow though I don't think that HiEveryone lives modestly :p Plus I suppose you can tell fairly easily the sort of people who are gold digging-bimbos from those who are not.

9. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Well people who choose to marry based on looks, money, or class aren't marrying for the right reasons. People won't stay good looking forever. Once bits sag and creases come in, you need somebody who you can talk to and get along with.

And if they lose all their money, or their 'upper-class' family is disgraced, then it's a terrible thought that the person they married wouldn't want to stay with them any more.

Not that I care - if people think that way, they're only going to suffer as a result. Money is such a material concept and it frightens me how consumed people are by it.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yet another vapid thread about Wall Street money and women. I really feel sorry for you OP as this is all you think life is about. Source: the threads you start.

11. sim667 macrumors 65816

The 1800's called...... They'd like their outdated views on social ranking and gender back please.

12. snberk103 macrumors 603

Yes. People who have taste and class should marry other people who have their heads screwed on right. And people who think money is everything will probably never make someone with class and good taste happy in a long term relationship.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think you should marry someone who you love and respect.

14. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

15. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

If he has to go looking for an invite to get in with these Hollywood types, then he is below their class.

He should try an online dating site where everyone knows he's more interested in appearance and money from the outset.

16. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I think you and your colleague should get married. You sound like a perfect pair.

17. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Wow, I was wondering why everybody was so hostile about the OP - I didn't really understand how what he said could be construed as offensive, because he was asking about a friend.

Then I had a look at previous threads/comments he's created/said.

Allow me to add one vote to the rest of the guys here.

18. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Straight people have absolutely destroyed the institution of marriage. Maybe the gays can salvage it.

19. Scepticalscribe, May 13, 2015
    Last edited: May 13, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Sigh. Welcome to the club.

Every single thread the OP has created can be reduced to two topics, and that space in his mind - like the over-lapping greyed out section in a Venn diagram - where these two topics intersect. The twin obsessions are money, and what he calls 'hot' women. Meanwhile, the discussions which ensue, all hover - helicopter like, rotary blades whirring - over certain features of these two topics.

On money, every thread comes back to how it is the sole and only means of adjudging worth in any and every aspect of human endeavour, - education, relationships, occupations, - and how, in order to prove your worth, it must be flaunted.

'Hot' women are an intensely desired accessory, and are, of course, entirely lacking in agency, personality, humanity, and any sort of worth apart from looks - and preferably an independent income, as the OP and his peers seem to feel that flaunting wealth does not include the notion of sharing it, or having to share it with a significant other.

Re the thread title, I query the use of the word 'class' in this context: Perhaps the (currently intellectually fashionable) expression 'assortative mating' might sound better, or more like what the OP may have in mind?

20. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I was hoping he'd at least trot out some new material.

*yawn*

21. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

But you felt compelled to start a thread on it anyway?

To answer your question: I'm not even sure what my "class" is, nor that of my wife; nor do I care in either case.

22. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Maybe you should care,does your income come from your labour (physical or intellectual) if so you are working class,does your income come from capital investment? if so you are bourgeoise.Some comes from labour and some comes from capital investment you are petit bourgeoise.

23. Happybunny macrumors 68000

In fact growing up I was always told, it was a sign of real class not to talk about one’s wealth or profession.

How times have changed.:(

24. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I think it is possible that you may be missing the wider point, of the discussion, here, in this thread.

At this stage, it is depressingly clear that the OP has no conception of what 'class' really means in either the historical sense (as explicated by Marx, Weber and so on) or, any understanding of what the term means in any meaningful contemporary discussion of the topic.

Meanwhile, what, I suspect, the rest of us are suggesting is that any sort of definition of class was not the primary - or even a major - consideration in how most of us chose those with whom we decided to commit to having relationships with, or marrying.

25. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

Oh, maybe I should stay away from guillotines, then. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.