Do you think Samsung will try to ban sales of the iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikelegacy, Sep 13, 2012.

?

Do you think Samsung will try to ban sales of the iPhone 5?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  1. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I personally don't. I think they may try to sue for damages, like Apple did, but a complete ban on Apple's iPhone 5 would REALLY piss off their manufacturing wing, who make 15 times the money from manufacturing Apple parts, than the mobile device wing would get from a lawsuit.

Apple could ban these devices because they aren't depending on Samsung for profits, Samsung IS depending on Apple. Apple could take their chip manufacturing elsewhere, I doubt Samsung wants that....

Thoughts?

2. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

they better hurry up if they are, i will be getting mine in 8 days :D

3. lazard macrumors 65816

The HTC and Motorola lawsuits would probably have a better shot. Samsung's lawsuit depends on what specific patents (which have not been revealed yet) they are suing over.

4. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

They will try, yes.

Samsung seem to not give a **** at the moment. I'm surprised they are not burning down the Apple stores.

5. Haziza macrumors member

Haziza

After yeasterday I bet Samsung just lol'd and said screw that ban of this iPhone 4XL

6. KPOM macrumors G5

They will try. They have already said that. They will fail, since Apple is getting the chips from Qualcomm, who has a valid license.

Trying to use standards-essential patents (which is all Samsung has on Apple right now) to force bans is a losing proposition. The ITC is getting wary of placing import bans, believing that the courts are a better forum since they can award royalties.

7. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Hahaha, yeah, the mobile phone wing of Samsung is separate from Samsung's manufacturing wing, so technically they could sue without even informing their manufacturing wing, I just don't really know if that would want to hurt their own company like that...

But I guess it really is all just a big pissing contest right now.....

Ditto on that, brother! :D

I think the big patent dispute is with LTE technologies? Or is that the Motorola claim? I thought Samsung was all pissy over that one?

I just want all this patent crap to end. Cross-license and co-exist already.....

8. lazard macrumors 65816

The Samsung anticipated lawsuit is over LTE patents. The HTC and Motorola lawsuits are over non standards essential patents.