All iPads Do you think Slate was a better iPad color than new space grey?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iPodJedi, Dec 25, 2013.

?

Do you like slate or space grey?

1. I like the old slate.

65 vote(s)
    43.0%
  2. I like the new space grey.

86 vote(s)
    57.0%
  1. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

I have an iPad mini that it space grey but it is a dull grey color. I liked the older slate which was darker and more like black. What about you? I am probably going to put a case over it...

Edit: sorry I didn't include white in the poll I was just wondering about the new black colors.

2. v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

I personally didn't think I liked the space grey color until I saw it in person. Now all I can think is how charcoal-y my slate iPhone 5 feels. :p Same goes for the iPads. I thought slate was too dark for larger devices.

3. mpantone macrumors 6502

Doesn't really matter. The front bezel is still black.

Only the back panel color has changed. As an iPhone 4s owner (black) who moved to an iPhone 5s (space grey), the color change barely registers.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

5. scottw324 macrumors 6502

I have both the first Mini in slate and the new rMini in space gray. I like them both. Both have cases on them though. The old mini is my daughters now with a griffin survivor case on it (she is 5) and the rMini has a gray Smart Cover and a fear Poetic rear shell so you can see the space gray through it.

As someone else said, you only see the back if you turn it over. Otherwise I don't notice it. Both iPads have black fronts.

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I voted that I like the new color, but I'm disappointed you didn't have an option for those of us who like both.

7. Bear macrumors G3

I think a better question is which color you prefer.

8. The Flying Kite macrumors regular

I think that Space Gray is a better color for the iPad, but I prefer Slate on the iPhone.

9. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I never really liked the odd bluish cast on the slate. I feel space gray is a little bit too much of a contrast with the black. I would've liked something completely black, but with all he scuffing issues last year I can see why they went with space gray.

10. pear21 macrumors 6502

pear21

11. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I hated slate TBH. It was too "blueish" to work with any other colors besides black or white... and they had neither of those colors for the Mini Smart Cover.

Space Grey on the other hand matches with everything... even that slightly orange Product Red Cover looks good on Space Grey. It was awful on Slate and I promptly returned it. Of course for me I ended up with a black smart cover on my mini because Red was sold out where I got it and I was too lazy to go swap for a red one at a different Best Buy. I did have Red for my Air and it looked fantastic!

Also the Chamferred edge of the Space Grey is nearly as eye catching as the silver is on the white. The edge of the Slate was shiny but definitely duller and didn't catch the eye in the same way that the white/silver black/space grey does.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Doesn't really make much of a difference.

13. luckylisp macrumors 6502

I prefer white for my iPad, but I guess if I had to choose between the two blacks, I prefer the space gray back over the slate.

14. knguye11 macrumors newbie

knguye11

I purchased a gray used one day, and returned for white rmini. I'm glad I did a switch.

15. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

I had the slate mini and that thing dinged really bad and the aluminum really contrasted poorly. I have one nick on my space grey and its not that noticeable compared to the contrasting dark color of slate.

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

17. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

I definitely prefer the slate color, but the space grey is still sexy, so I don't really care. But between the 2, I'd pick the slate.

18. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

I liked both and don't really have a strong opinion since I don't spend a lot of time looking at the back of my iPad. I voted for space gray only because, as another poster pointed out, it doesn't show nicks in the aluminum nearly as much as the slate finish did. But it's not a strong preference for me either way.

It's a different story on my iPhone though. I absolutely adore the space gray finish on my 5s. It feels so much more like the spiritual successor to the beautiful design of the 4/4s (still my favorite iPhone design by far) than the 5 did with its slate finish.

19. rajpatel macrumors regular

I leave my iPhone 5 in the car all the time cuz I can't see it, it's a true chameleon. So unassuming. Invisible in fact. Becuz of that, and also because I love the space gray since my 4 coming into my life shortly after v day in feb, becuz of all dis......yes, I would like to have an 5s in gold but frankly I think the fingerprint sensor is stupid. And hold ur idiotic hating on me for stating an opinion. I also still think the cases are ugly.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its not white so that's all I care about ;)

tbh, I put a case on my iPad so the back color is not a big deal to me.

21. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I can not believe somebody actually started a poll and asked this question.

Millions probably like the old. Millions like the new.

Millions more could not tell the difference.

So, what does that mean?

22. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Threads like these are stupid. If you like some color, what does it matter what colors other people like?

23. nostresshere macrumors 68030

It is getting harder to come and here and find helpful information or get real questions answered.

24. iPodJedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

I know I was trying to narrow it down otherwise everyone would have said they like both...same reason I didn't put white because it would distract from the original question of slate or space grey

25. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

The spacey gray is so lovely I was almost tempted to get a spacey gray iPad over a white iPad this time.

----------

Waaaaa!