Do you think tethering without a carrier tethering plan is immoral?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by b24pgg, May 7, 2012.

?

Do you think tethering without a carrier tethering plan is immoral?

1. Yes, tethering without a carrier tethering plan is immoral

12.9%
  2. No, tethering without a carrier tethering plan is not immoral

87.1%
  1. b24pgg, May 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012

b24pgg macrumors 65816

2. WhoisMedina macrumors member

Agree but you signed a contract that goes against it.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

In most countries there is no such thing as a "tethering plan". There is absolutely no reason to pay different prices for data depending on how you're using it; it's still the same amount of MB overall.

4. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Immoral?
    I don't know about that
    I think unethical might be a better word to use in this context

5. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

To be unethical the action has to be Malum in se.Is it evil to tether for free?Naw is it a violation of your TOS oh yess

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Unethical? Yes, it directly goes against the terms of my contract. Do I care? Not in the least bit. These service providers are the most greedy companies. It's my data and I'll use it how I want.

7. cynics macrumors G4

I think it's strange it doesn't come free on a tiered plan. If I pay for three gig of data the worst that will happen is I'll exceed that and have to pay more.

With unlimited, well that's debatable but I still don't like it.

8. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

No but it is nice being on an unlimited plan with tethering included.

9. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

I'm another option : rated plans should included tethering, period. if I had a rated plan, I'd Jailbreak to be able to tether, so (for example) my buddy on the car trip could use his iPod Touch on the internet while we were driving.

Unlimited data plans, it's unethical if it's not included in your plan.

10. Broph macrumors 6502

Broph

Love how the providers in New Zealand would never have heard of a tethering plan (they don't care as long as they get money for the data).... I think they're hoping people will use more so they can capitalize on the ridiculous over-charges.

11. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Phone companies are greedy barstads, I don't feel bad about taking advantage of them in the slightest.

12. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Of course it is. It's a violation of a contract you agreed to when you signed up for it.

You can hate it if you want, but that doesn't change the facts.

13. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

As far as I'm concerned I've paid for the data, and I shall use it anyway I see fit. I'm not going to pay for it twice just to use on a different device.

14. b24pgg thread starter macrumors 65816

What's the difference?

15. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Irrelevant. It's against the TOS if stated as such in your TOS. If you don't agree with the TOS then don't agree to it. You made your decision when you signed up with your carrier. "I paid for it" isn't a universal justification. Think about the products that you license. You can't do whatever you want with them either. They're also subject to the terms of the agreement.

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You should BURN IN HELL for tethering without paying for it!!!:mad::)

Seriously, it's against the TOS. How you choose to abide by the TOS is up to you. If the provider catches you, they can charge you for it, or even cancel your service. It's a risk you take.

Edit: Based on MagnumCumMagnus logic, it's moral to tether without paying based on the poll results. :)

17. aneftp macrumors 601

Poorly worded poll. No way it's immoral.

It's actually good business practice to maximize profits especially for shareholders if business is a publically traded company.

I enjoy my 5% plus dividens ATT give me as a shareholder.

The poll should be worded

"Do you think tethering without a carrier tethering plan is not consumer friendly?"

Worded that way makes more sense.

18. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

I just feel sorry for people on CDMA networks paying for the tethering plan at 30-$40 for the slow speeds you get, heck I pay $30 for 20mb service at home:rolleyes:

19. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

What's immoral is the money the carriers make when they charge you twice for using your limited data plan if you choose to tether.

20. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

I'm on att. The 5gb plan comes with tethering. I don't have to sneak around anymore in order to us my data as I see fit.

21. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Agreed. US carriers are greedy. Most UK carriers let you use your data however I want. I'm on a truly unlimited plan with T-Mobile UK and I can even tether.

22. WRP macrumors 6502a

"the ethical man knows that it is wrong to cheat on his wife whereas the moral man actually would not"

23. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Is it immoral to do something that you knowingly signed an agreement that you wouldn't do it?

24. snchpnz macrumors member

No, I already have to use the wifi at home because I don't get 3G inside my house. They already get a good chunk of money out of me every month for mediocre service. I feel they are just being greedy by not allowing me to tether my iphone to the iPad without giving them even more money. I'm still going to use up the same data doing the exact same thing on my iPhone. So no, I don't feel like I'm doing anything immoral, they are though.