Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you think tethering without a carrier tethering plan is immoral?

• Total voters

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
CA
Last edited:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
In most countries there is no such thing as a "tethering plan". There is absolutely no reason to pay different prices for data depending on how you're using it; it's still the same amount of MB overall.

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
To be unethical the action has to be Malum in se.Is it evil to tether for free?Naw is it a violation of your TOS oh yess

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Unethical? Yes, it directly goes against the terms of my contract. Do I care? Not in the least bit. These service providers are the most greedy companies. It's my data and I'll use it how I want.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I think it's strange it doesn't come free on a tiered plan. If I pay for three gig of data the worst that will happen is I'll exceed that and have to pay more.

With unlimited, well that's debatable but I still don't like it.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
I'm another option : rated plans should included tethering, period. if I had a rated plan, I'd Jailbreak to be able to tether, so (for example) my buddy on the car trip could use his iPod Touch on the internet while we were driving.

Unlimited data plans, it's unethical if it's not included in your plan.

Broph

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
New Zealand
Love how the providers in New Zealand would never have heard of a tethering plan (they don't care as long as they get money for the data).... I think they're hoping people will use more so they can capitalize on the ridiculous over-charges.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Of course it is. It's a violation of a contract you agreed to when you signed up for it.

You can hate it if you want, but that doesn't change the facts.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
As far as I'm concerned I've paid for the data, and I shall use it anyway I see fit. I'm not going to pay for it twice just to use on a different device.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
My opinion is that since I have paid for the data I should be able to use it in any manner I choose, and the carrier is immoral for attempting to charge me extra for tethering/hotspot functionality.
Irrelevant. It's against the TOS if stated as such in your TOS. If you don't agree with the TOS then don't agree to it. You made your decision when you signed up with your carrier. "I paid for it" isn't a universal justification. Think about the products that you license. You can't do whatever you want with them either. They're also subject to the terms of the agreement.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
You should BURN IN HELL for tethering without paying for it!!!:mad::)

Seriously, it's against the TOS. How you choose to abide by the TOS is up to you. If the provider catches you, they can charge you for it, or even cancel your service. It's a risk you take.

Edit: Based on MagnumCumMagnus logic, it's moral to tether without paying based on the poll results. :)

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Poorly worded poll. No way it's immoral.

It's actually good business practice to maximize profits especially for shareholders if business is a publically traded company.

I enjoy my 5% plus dividens ATT give me as a shareholder.

The poll should be worded

"Do you think tethering without a carrier tethering plan is not consumer friendly?"

Worded that way makes more sense.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I just feel sorry for people on CDMA networks paying for the tethering plan at 30-$40 for the slow speeds you get, heck I pay $30 for 20mb service at home:rolleyes:

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
What's immoral is the money the carriers make when they charge you twice for using your limited data plan if you choose to tether.

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
I'm on att. The 5gb plan comes with tethering. I don't have to sneak around anymore in order to us my data as I see fit.

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
Agreed. US carriers are greedy. Most UK carriers let you use your data however I want. I'm on a truly unlimited plan with T-Mobile UK and I can even tether.

snchpnz

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
No, I already have to use the wifi at home because I don't get 3G inside my house. They already get a good chunk of money out of me every month for mediocre service. I feel they are just being greedy by not allowing me to tether my iphone to the iPad without giving them even more money. I'm still going to use up the same data doing the exact same thing on my iPhone. So no, I don't feel like I'm doing anything immoral, they are though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.