Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Do you think that by not including chargers in the box, Apple is setting people up to problems?(because people are still using no-name USB-C chargers)

BlueMoose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
must be perfectly safe to use no-name USB-C chargers and other accesories?

Do you think that by not including chargers in the box, Apple is setting people up to problems?(because people are still using no-name USB-C chargers)

I was wondering about that while standing in line at the gas station to buy my usual weekly lottery tickets this morning. There were about 10 people in front of me, only 3 cashiers, so I started looking at chargers hanging on the wall. $2 regular USB chargers... $11 for USB-C chargers. No brand name on them and the specs printed on the bottom looked sketchy at best. But at least they were in wondering neon green or pink! :)

Last edited:

carriebeary

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2020

I was wondering about that while standing in line at the gas station to buy my usual weekly lottery tickets this morning. There were about 10 people in front of me, only 3 cashiers, so I started looking at chargers hanging on the wall. $2 regular USB chargers... $11 for USB-C chargers. No brand name on them and the specs printed on the bottom looked sketchy at best. But at least they were in wondering neon green or pink! :)

I have used the no name ones forever. Never had a problem. Personally I think paying $50 for a charging cord simply because it says apple is ridiculous.

Reactions: philrock

Ta0jin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
Personally I wirelessly charge my phone so this doesn’t really affect me but I do think that it was a bit premature for them to remove the charging brick and say that “everybody has these (USB-C brick) lying around“. Unless you have the 11 pro/max or a newer iPad or a Mac, you probably don’t. That being said Apple gon do what Apple gon do.

Reactions: Caesars and DianaMR

TAZ911

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
Personally I wirelessly charge my phone so this doesn’t really affect me but I do think that it was a bit premature for them to remove the charging brick and say that “everybody has these (USB-C brick) lying around“. Unless you have the 11 pro/max or a newer iPad or a Mac, you probably don’t. That being said Apple gon do what Apple gon do.

1+ to this. I’ve got lots of Apple products laying around, but not 1 is USB-C yet. I’m assuming that my iPhone X cable and brick will still work for on the road needs. I do wireless at home, so I’m not too worried.

Gin Gin

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
Yeah, I'm coming from an 8 plus, and my iPad is even older. So I'll have to buy one.

Reactions: Ta0jin

BlueMoose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
Yeah, I'm coming from an 8 plus, and my iPad is even older. So I'll have to buy one.

I'm wondering how people are supposed to "save the environment" by buying the charger... which Apple chose not to include in the box.... :)

If Apple really cares about the environment, they can instantly cut it by 50%, simply by releasing new iPhones every 2 years, instead of every single year. :)

Or they can invent biodegradable chargers and iPhones...

Ta0jin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
I'm wondering how people are supposed to "save the environment" by buying the charger... which Apple chose not to include in the box.... :)

If Apple really cares about the environment, they can instantly cut it by 50%, simply by releasing new iPhones every 2 years, instead of every single year. :)

The EarPods make sense taking those out but to not include a charger that only recently came with the last released iPhone? I’m not buying it lol.

556fmjoe

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2014

Yeah the saving the environment argument is such BS. Now people have to buy a separate charger that comes in its own packaging, which ends up using way more materials than if the iPhone box was slightly larger. Great work Apple.

BlueMoose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
The EarPods make sense taking those out but to not include a charger that only recently came with the last released iPhone? I’m not buying it lol.

leaving out wired earpods seems like a safety issue to me....

there are going to be idiots or cheapskates who don't want to spend extra to buy a Bluetooth headset.... some of them will be driving and talking with the phone next to their ear... :( (sad but true?)

ericwn

macrumors 603
Apr 24, 2016

Apple made no claim that everyone has usbc chargers. They were referring to perfectly fine working older chargers of which they alone shipped a few billions.

ericwn

macrumors 603
Apr 24, 2016

I think at this stage you fail to see that most won’t need to buy a new charger if an existing Lightning or Qi charger is at home. They will ship millions of chargers less with all the environmental impact that carries.

If you’re willing to stop wall steeet and pay the shareholders quarterly then please reach out to Apple to explain yourself idea of launching a new phone every other year in more detail.

Nobody claims to save Mother Nature here exclusively but minimising impact is to be applauded.

Reactions: philrock

ericwn

macrumors 603
Apr 24, 2016
Yeah the saving the environment argument is such BS. Now people have to buy a separate charger that comes in its own packaging, which ends up using way more materials than if the iPhone box was slightly larger. Great work Apple.

Hardly anybody needs to.

ericwn

macrumors 603
Apr 24, 2016
leaving out wired earpods seems like a safety issue to me....

there are going to be idiots or cheapskates who don't want to spend extra to buy a Bluetooth headset.... some of them will be driving and talking with the phone next to their ear... :( (sad but true?)

Those playing with a phone while driving are not worth further considering. Darwin will sort that out for us.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

It’s classic “short term pain for long term gain”.

Yes, in the next couple of months, we may see increased demand for usb-c chargers as some (but not all) users buy them because they didn’t own any before. However, this is a one-off transaction because these chargers are likely not going anywhere. Subsequently, when they upgrade, they are not going to need another charger, which is where the real environmental savings come in.

I would also like to see Apple go one step further by doing away with all that wasteful instructional pamphlets that I never bother reading.

Furman

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2015
Greenville, SC
Sometimes, people just need to use their own brains to make good choices. It's not Apple's fault if a person orders a cheap piece of junk.

philrock

Contributor
Jul 5, 2015
Oxnard, CA
It’s classic “short term pain for long term gain”.
It's not even that. There is no short term pain, only gain. All your existing cables and bricks will work, that is the point--that's the immediate and long-term gain. The only reason to purchase a new one is if you "want" faster charging.

Ta0jin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
Apple made no claim that everyone has usbc chargers. They were referring to perfectly fine working older chargers of which they alone shipped a few billions.
True, but they’re shipping a charging cable that they can’t use with the bricks they currently have. You are free to believe what you want, but I personally do not believe this was a “helping the environment” thing as much as them trying to sell charging bricks and a push to a MagSafe future. Look I get it, capitalism baby! But let’s be real, a cable included in the box that’s not being used isn’t e-waste as well?

Last edited:
Reactions: JuneJune and ericwn

ericwn

macrumors 603
Apr 24, 2016
True, but they’re shipping a charging cable that they can’t use with the bricks they currently have. While I agree they can use old lightning chargers, for people switching over (no matter how big or small that number may be) from Android are left with having to purchase a brick that have previously been included in the box. Another issue I see is those who may have a old brick but an charging cord that has seen better days, they can‘t use the one included in the box without shelling out more money for a 20w usb-c brick. You are free to believe what you want, but I personally do not believe this was a “helping the environment” thing as much as them trying to sell charging bricks and a push to a MagSafe future. Cause lets be real, a cable included in the box that’s not being used isn’t e-waste as well?

Oh, I don’t disagree entirely. The idea is half thought through at best. In fairness, these are transitional times where some have this, others have that, others have no chargers at all etc, so it’s complex.

Ta0jin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
Oh, I don’t disagree entirely. The idea is half thought through at best. In fairness, these are transitional times where some have this, others have that, others have no chargers at all etc, so it’s complex.
It is complex, and MagSafe will be the future so they know they are going to get the heat anyway.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It’s classic “short term pain for long term gain
So why couldn't Apple soften it like they did when they removed the headphone jack and included an adapter on top of new headphones? Why not include the adapter at least for the first year or so when they switch to include a different cable? Seems like all the gains are on Apple's side of things and there isn't much on consumer side and for some there's pain.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The only reason to purchase a new one is if you "want" faster charging.
That an interesting sentiment when it comes to those who don't any USB-C power adapters or USB-A to Lightning cables.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.