Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 31, 2013
Of course it's not easy to have vision of what the future will bring, but here me out.

The original iPhone brought about a rapid change to the world of smartphones. What seems like overnight Apple changed the game so that consumers not only expected touchscreens, but good fluid operating systems that easily worked. We can now see how big of a change the iPhone brought to the world of electronics.

I'm curious though, now that the 5s brings finger-printing to the masses (who will now get accustomed to the convenience of it), will that also bring about another change to the game so that consumers will now expect their electronics to come with accurate/easy to use fingerprint scanners?

What are your thoughts? Do you think in 5 years all smartphones (and electronics) will be fingerprint based? Mind you 5 years is a looooooooong time to go in the electronics world.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
apple owns the current tech used on it, so android and others will have to find a similar tech that works just as good... they got blindsided w/ their need to keep increasing screen size.

Blau

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2013
Redlands, CA
I think we will definitely start seeing it more now, first in other Apple products, and then by other companies. I want TouchID for my front door!

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 31, 2013
I want TouchID for my front door!

2ff.gif

You just blew my mind :eek:

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I think this technology is here to stay. Only a matter of time before it reaches the MacBook and iPad.

Exactly. In a few years we'll wonder how we ever did without it. It maybe saves a second or two every time we pick up our phones. But considering how often that is, it adds up!

----------

Most of what Apple has done is not new technology. However, they've taken existing technology and made it actually useful.

Mac = Not the first GUI. The first GUI that consumers actually coveted.
iMac = Not the first all-in-one. The first all-in-one that people waited in line for.
iPod = Not the first music player. The first music player that was easy to use and that people got excited about.
iPhone = Not the first smartphone. The first smartphone that attracted long lines and got Americans interested. Plus the first that made it easy to use a touchscreen.
iPad = Not the first tablet. The first tablet that people actually bought, much less waited in line for.

skafia

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
SOCAL
I wonder how this technology compares to the ones that are in "personalized guns".

Also, I would love to have this on my car... if there was seriously NO WAY to bypass ignition without it.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Exactly. In a few years we'll wonder how we ever did without it. It maybe saves a second or two every time we pick up our phones. But considering how often that is, it adds up!

----------

Mac = Not the first GUI. The first GUI that consumers actually coveted.
iMac = Not the first all-in-one. The first all-in-one that people waited in line for.
iPod = Not the first music player. The first music player that was easy to use and that people got excited about.
iPhone = Not the first smartphone. The first smartphone that attracted long lines and got Americans interested. Plus the first that made it easy to use a touchscreen.
iPad = Not the first tablet. The first tablet that people actually bought, much less waited in line for.

I don't understand why people think Apple not being the absolute first to do something makes it less important. I don't know whether that's the insinuation here, but being just first means zip. CNN was the first to report an arrest in the Boston bombings earlier this year. Problem was there was no arrest for another three days.

I still have a Sega Game Gear around here somewhere. I think it was the first color portable game system, but most people hated it for the lack of battery life. Nintendo took another decade or so to put out a color portable, and eventually really made a winner with the DS.

Google was not the first search engine. I don't think I need to finish that thought.

-js-

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Southern California
I think we will definitely start seeing it more now, first in other Apple products, and then by other companies. I want TouchID for my front door!

Actually, if you have a 5S, in a way, it already exists! Because, you just get a Kevo Bluetooth lock paired with your 5S that needs fingerprint ID.

Right now, the details will need working out and tweaking, and so on, but there's incredible potential here, and yes, I strongly suspect that the 5S mainstreaming FP ID will indeed change electronics forever. For a while now, we've been hearing about how the password is dead and that what is needed is something you have PLUS something you know. So fingerprint PLUS password (not fingerprint instead of password). That's quite a bit more secure. But who knows, maybe FP alone is also quite a bit more secure than PW alone. Time will tell.

But even as just an unlock to your phone, the FP ID is excellent.

dmystic1

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2010
Hemet, CA
I don't understand why people think Apple not being the absolute first to do something makes it less important. I don't know whether that's the insinuation here, but being just first means zip. CNN was the first to report an arrest in the Boston bombings earlier this year. Problem was there was no arrest for another three days.

I still have a Sega Game Gear around here somewhere. I think it was the first color portable game system, but most people hated it for the lack of battery life. Nintendo took another decade or so to put out a color portable, and eventually really made a winner with the DS.

Google was not the first search engine. I don't think I need to finish that thought.

I just pointed out the fact that Apple was not the first. I wasn't saying that being the first was the most important thing. With that being said, I also don't think that everything Apple puts out will automatically change the world just because. Sorry.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Of course it's not easy to have vision of what the future will bring, but here me out.

Cracks me up that you think apple is "making fingerprinting" mainstream.

Mac = Not the first GUI. The first GUI that consumers actually coveted. What??
iMac = Not the first all-in-one. The first all-in-one that people waited in line for. Had to wait in line hardly anywhere to buy it.
iPod = Not the first music player. The first music player that was easy to use and that people got excited about. Never got excited about the iPod, used lots of other devices that are just as easy to use and aren't pretty much forced to use iTunes with them.
iPhone = Not the first smartphone. The first smartphone that attracted long lines and got Americans interested. Plus the first that made it easy to use a touchscreen. I'll give you some of this but you're a bit over the top

Put the coolaid down and walk away.....

Last edited:

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
No. I don't think it'll be on the iPhone itself in a couple of years.

What on earth are you basing this on?

I personally think it has a lot of potential, it seems like people have a lot of good things to say about it and apple should be pretty keen on continuous improvement to make it more secure and faster over the coming years.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
May not be the first with a finger print sensor but Apple has implemented it almost perfectly. You know the saying "It just works!" well thats Touch ID. All it needs to be better is for Apple to open it up to be used for more that just unlocking phone and iTunes purchases.

Bravo Apple, bravo!!!!

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
apple owns the current tech used on it, so android and others will have to find a similar tech that works just as good... they got blindsided w/ their need to keep increasing screen size.

On the iPhone yes, though Apple did not invent finger scanners. Others can implement it on thier phones, time will tell .

----------

Most of what Apple has done is not new technology. However, they've taken existing technology and made it actually useful.

Let's give it time. The Motorola Atrix may be remembered/forgotten as the MPMan of its time.

We'll the jury is out on that one, most people will not get the 5s until October, and let's see how it's used .

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Apple will be approached by banks and ebay(PayPal) if they haven't already to intergrate payment services into iPhones ASAP as it's far more secure than both chip and pin and signature payments.

SOME people are to blind to see the potential of this little scanner

skyking517

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2010
Orlando, FL
Here is some info for you that most you already. Know. Yes this is not new on a smartphone, however it is finally perfected. The company that apple purchased was Authentec and they were based here in Melbourne FL. This is the same company that designed the reader for the Atrix, at the time it was just ok, but this is the reason we never saw it on the second Atrix as they were in final buy out by apple. Finally it seems that this amazing technology has been perfected and I bet we start seeing it all over our gadgets. Love the idea of my front door. Anyways, this is old news, but thought I would share! Have a great Sunday all!!

juswest

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
What on earth are you basing this on?

I personally think it has a lot of potential, it seems like people have a lot of good things to say about it and apple should be pretty keen on continuous improvement to make it more secure and faster over the coming years.

I just don't see it lasting. I could be wrong, but I don't think it's here long term.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.