Do you think the "classic" MBP will be included in the next update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maz-o, Apr 4, 2013.

1. maz-o macrumors member

maz-o

I really need a new Macbook Pro, but I'm not in that big of a hurry, so I could wait til later in the summer when (if) the new models arrive.

Got a late 2008, first unibody (I think) 15", 2.53ghz c2d, 8gb ram, and it's working spectacularly well for its age in regular to moderate use. But it's getting too slow and running too hot for my heavier use (huge photoshop files for work, and some strategy games on Steam for myself).

I'm loving the SSD (system) + HDD (other stuff) combo with the optical bay adapter, and the antiglare high-res display. For this reason I really wouldn't want or need the Retina version.

Do you think now is the last time Apple is offering the "classic" MBP? I'd really rather save some money for a few months and also get the newest processor etc... But if it's only going to be the Retina version without antiglare and dvd, then I'd rather buy last years model as long as it's still available...

Thoughts?

2. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Based on the fact that the classic MacBook Pro wasn't updated with the early 2013 Ivy Bridge CPUs like the Retinas were, you would think that the mid 2012 classic is EOL. I really hope not, as I'm considering the switch myself but we'll see.

In any event it makes sense to wait until the refresh is announced, it's not like all the classic MBPs will suddenly disappear off the shelves at that time. You might even score a nice discount.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

I think it's a question of price - as long as a cMBP is cheaper than rMBP, it's likely to remain there.

4. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Indeed. I picked up the MBP in my sig brand new from MicroCenter for $1,599 (had 4 GB of RAM and a 750 GB HDD originally). This was within six weeks of the announcement of the 2012 refresh. The price prior to that would have been $2,649.

5. urkel macrumors 68030

I'm not sure about that one. If someone is in the $2000+ range then they aren't choosing the cMBP because they're trying to save a few bucks, they're buying it because they recognize the immediate and long term value of a powerhouse laptop that doesn't have the limitations of the rMBP.

That said, Apple probably wants the cMBP to die because they seem to be on the path of turning everything they make to be "disposable".

6. F1 Fan macrumors regular

F1 Fan

Personally, yes, I do think that. 1) No refresh when the rMBPs got theirs. 2) Options reduced in store - you can still build to order but there's just the one pre-spec'd option now.

That's not what happened with the 17". They all dissappeared pretty quickly after they weren't included in the 2012 lineup. I think the prices for refurbished 17s are still pretty high. (I went to check but the UK store hasn't got any atm).

That's just it, there was a 2012 replacement so the price came down. Didn't happen with the 17" because there was no replacement. (Disclaimer: I don't recall discounts but if someone remembers differently, I'm all ears and prepared to be proven wrong).

7. maz-o thread starter macrumors member

maz-o

I'd totally missed that the "c" didn't get a spec bump when the "r" did. That's a pretty clear sign that it's EOL to me.

As for a discount on recently updated models... I believe that if a model becomes obsolete (instead of updated) it'll probably disappear from retailers pretty quickly and the last ones might go close to RRP. Like what happened to the 17".

Well crap, guess I have to think real hard now! I'm really not a huge fan of the Retina model since it, as urkel pointed out, feels so "disposable". And dual internal drives are a big plus for me in heavy photoshop work. I know TB/USB3 is fast, but it's just not the same thing.