Do you think the desktop/laptop version of the iWork suite will ever become free?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MauerFan, Oct 5, 2013.

1. MauerFan macrumors regular

I'm thinking about getting the suite for my MBP, but do you think Apple will ever make it free? Maybe with the Mavericks OS X release? This is just be speculating, and I haven't heard anything about such a thing happening. It's $60 in total though, so I imagine they'd never make it free.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Probably with new Macs after mavericks is released.

3. BruiserB macrumors 65816

I'm wondering if the desktop versions go away and get replaced by the iCloud web versions? I guess it would still be nice to have offline versions available for when you don't have an internet connection....I can see these going to free.

4. MauerFan thread starter macrumors regular

I thought about it, but if someone was away from wifi or something they'd have no way to access their documents.

5. BruiserB macrumors 65816

Lol. You must have been posting this at the same time I edited my comment to add the same thought. Since both web and iOS versions are now free it would make a lot of sense for desktop versions to follow.

6. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Maybe......

1-With new Macs, after Mavericks is released and proved estable

2-In some moment, if Apple wants to use it as a marketing point, putting vs Office or Google offers....

But I dont hold my breath in this.....Apple can be still confortable charging for it....

:):apple:

7. Powermax macrumors regular

iOS Version are only free if you buy a new iPhone! Everybody else still has to pay for it.

8. Miguel Cunha macrumors 6502

Miguel Cunha

This would be the logical step... hopefully... :rolleyes:

9. BruiserB macrumors 65816

True, but once you download them, they can be installed free on all of your other iOS devices. I suppose Apple could make them free for new Mac purchases or to people who pay to upgrade to Mavericks but once the app is associated with your AppleID in the store, you'd be free to install it on other computers.