Do you think the H1N1 Vaccine will be like the movie I Am Legend?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacMini2009, Oct 26, 2009.

?

Do you think the H1N1 Vaccine will be like the movie I Am Legend?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. No

33 vote(s)
    78.6%
  1. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Do you? My sister and I were joking about how the H1N1 vaccine will be an "I Am Legend." After a bit, it got me thinking about it. Do you think it is possible the vaccine can turn into a airborne virus just like in I Am Legend? I mean, the vaccine was produced in a very short time span and all of the news reports of the vaccine sound bad. Do you think it is possible?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. twombles62 macrumors member

I think it's almost impossible that it won't turn out just like I am Legend.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No, it won't be. However, the good Reverend Farrakhan seems to think otherwise.:eek::rolleyes:

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2009/10/19/Farrakhan-suspicious-of-H1N1-vaccine/UPI-63931256011008/

6. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Um, just be miserable for a week or so?

Swine flu isn't that much worse than the regular flu.

8. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I hadn't even considered the possibility but the more I think about it I can't see any other conclusion aside from the one shown in the slightly rubbish Will Smith vehicle.

Cripes. I'm off for my flu jab on Thursday! :eek:

9. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

If the conspiracy is to kill off people to save the rest from starvation, are there two versions of the vaccine? One to kill and one given to the wealthy/successful, those that produce the food etc.?

10. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

11. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Didn't I read something like that in a Tom Clancy novel?

12. johnrs macrumors 6502a

13. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

No but it's certainly not unreasonable to question the safety of something that has been developed so quickly. I don't entirely trust it either. I had a brief moment of considering the movie "children of men" when the HPV/cervical cancer vaccine was released. Unforeseen side-effects of drugs happen all the time, some of the effects are devastating. I don't believe it's a big conspiracy but distrust in terms of uncertainty isn't too far out of line.

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It wasn't really "developed quickly". It uses the same principles and methods that have been used to produce other influenza vaccines. The only thing that's different this time is the antigens which are from swine flu influenza instead of the yearly seasonal influenzas. There's nothing particularly novel about the vaccine that needs broad-scale testing first. It's a very well characterised, tested, and safe process. Which is why it was able to be bought into use quickly.

edit: Also rest assured that in the very rare event that there are serious side-effects they'll be picked up very quickly, as each reported adverse side effect if collected and collated.

15. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

That makes sense. I hadn't thought about it like that (it being developed off the back of previous flu strains). Perhaps obviously I hadn't put much thought or research into it really. :eek: I'm just blown away by the big deal that's been made out of the swine flu. I feel like "TEH MEDIA" has broadcast it in such a way to cause maximum worry. Fear peddling and all that.

Say, where did I put my tin foil?

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I think you drew the perfect conclusion from what is presented in the media. Ever-tightening deadlines and science journalists being lost to pharma press releases and sensationalist opinions. And scientists being rather terrible (myself included) in science communication. I'm trying to find a link to how the vaccine was developed and tested to post but I really can't find one suitable. There's a large gulf between the scientific literature and a good quality (and interesting) layman's explanation. Which sucks. It's of course completely reasonable to be skeptical until proven otherwise. But one is completely unlikely to be convinced by a paper loaded with statistics that's hard to understand unless you're a statistician or in the field.

edit: the cdc's site is actually quite good :).
    http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/general.htm

17. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

18. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Was swine flu really a threat?

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Most definitely. All pandemic influenzas are something to concerned about. Best not to forget the lessons of history.

20. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Folks should know that the multidose bottles of H1N1 vaccine also contain thimerosal, a preservative that contains mercury. The industry attests to the safety of thimerosal, but if there's a reason to be doubtful, to my mind, that's it.

mt

21. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

So having mercury in LCD backlighting is bad, but a vaccine that the world world gets isn't?

22. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Till then let's keep on eating mercury contaminated fish/sushi, veggies sprayed with pesticides, beef infested with possible prions (mad cow) and loaded with hormones, milk filled with antibiotics and estrogen - and let's not forget - all the bisphenols leached into juice/water, etc.. by plastic! Woo hoo!

23. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It's not just industry. It's also science that has shown that thimerosal isn't a problem at the concentrations used in vaccines. There is absolutely no evidence (despite much research) linking thimerosal to autism or any other human conditions that people claim.

It's true that thimerosal contains mercury. Just as salt contains sodium and chloride. Sodium is of course a highly explosive when exposed to water. Chloride is highly poisonous. But we can eat salt with no problems despite the individual elemental characteristics. When elements combine to form a compound they take on different characteristics than the individual elements. Hence although thimerosal contains mercury it is in a different form and therefore does not have the negative health effects of elemental mercury.

24. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Do I believe in a conspiracy theory that the H1N1 Swine Flu Vaccine will be like the movie "I Am Legend"?

No.

Of course, I do give a credence to the belief that the deranged current administration has mismanaged this health crisis, refused to safeguard the American public, ignored CDC warnings, and in general hidden valuable medical information of relevance to this Swine Flu crisis from the American public, but that's a couple topics for another thread.

25. emt377 macrumors member

Yes. H1N1 is an influenza virus which recurs every 20 to 30 years. It has previously popped up in 1918, 1933, 1957, and 1976. 1918 was the worst because it had a high lethality and was completely new to humans so there was zero immunity to it. Since 1933 it has had relatively low lethality - a lethality gene replikin count of 2. This time around however H1N1 shows changes to this part of the genome and an increasing replikin count.

You should realize that H1N1 is not like the assorted cold viruses that produce the "seasonal flu" type achy joints and sniffles. This is the real deal those are colloquially named after. It has serious potential to kill people by the millions.

When first observed it was feared this influenza was new to humans, that it was a swine virus that had jumped species. But after a while it became clear it was a human virus that had sequestered in livestock until enough time had passed that it could gain a foothold and return. Those who get it today are those who weren't around in 1976. Even though its lethality is relatively low, it's still sufficient that if people over 35 didn't have existing immunity you'd be attending a lot of funerals.